Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

The schedule is completed and it is not going to change.

Colgate normally plays 34 games during the regular season and there may occasionally be an exhibition game as well against a Canadian university. This includes 22 league games and 12 non-conference games. Of the 22 league games, 11 are at home and 11 are on the road. Thus, Colgate is normally guaranteed at least 11 home games. Now, because Colgate will be playing a home game against Brown in Northern Ireland this coming season, the number of ECAC league home games falls to 10.

So, outside of the 22 league games, you have 12 non-conference games. These are normally set up well in advance and contracts are made, usually these involve a home-and-home scenario where for example Colgate will host a school for two games and then travel to that school the following year for two games, or this could just be a one-and-one. Some examples of previously completed two-year contracts include St. Cloud State, Miami, Bowling Green and Lake Superior State just to name a few.

Overall last season, there were 18 home games - 15 regular season games, one exhibition and two playoff games. The 15 regular season games included four non-conference games at home with both Northeastern and Mercyhurst being at Starr Rink in October for two-game weekends. This coming season, those contracts both flip and Colgate travels to both Northeastern and Mercyhurst - though in the case of Northeastern, the second game of what was originally supposed to be two at Matthews Arena will be played as part of the Friendship Four in Belfast, Northern Ireland. The games versus 'Hurst and NU/Friendship Four championship/consolation take up four of Colgate's 12 non-conference games.

The three non-conference home games come against defending national champion Providence (2) and 2015 NCAA participant R.I.T. And the game against R.I.T. is part of a home-and-home weekend. So then you have eight of 12 non-conference games.

Then you have two at Maine which are very likely part of a reciprocal agreement to where Maine will travel to Class of 1965 Arena in 2016-17 or 2017-18. Union and Maine are just wrapping up a contract much like that this coming season with the Black Bears playing in Schenectady after hosting Union last year. And Colgate also plays in the Vermont tournament. Colgate and UVM have had several different home-and-home type contracts and this may be the start of a new agreement that has Vermont coming to Hamilton to play at Class of 1965 Arena.

Scheduling is an inexact science and oftentimes, agreements are made several years in advance or long-ranging contracts are made (like with the four-year agreement with Providence that was initially reported by the ProJo's Mark Divver). There was talk during last season about Colgate playing a home-and-home with Arizona State. From those conversations on the Coaches Show with Coach Vaughan, this agreement should be starting in 2016-17. I believe it was also mentioned on this board that Colgate would be hosting Army in the first game at Class of 1965 Arena, that's another home game.

And regarding the lack of a home game from early December through mid-January, that's just how the league schedule sets up this year and schools really do not have a say in the matter. Some years there will be a dearth of home games in the first half, other years there will not be. The Cornell weekend is also normally in the second half but with the block schedule not having an open weekend after league play resumes in mid-January, a decision had to be made. Colgate and Cornell both had an open weekend in November and that's when the games were scheduled. The only other option would have been to stagger the games and play them on random Tuesday nights.

Hopefully this explanation helps. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the schedule but I figure it helps to have some insight for those that maybe have forgotten how things work or simply were not aware.

Comment

Shabby, I make it to most games, miss 1-2 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
        Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the schedule
        Thanks GR. I still don't like it

Wish there were more flexibility in scheduling.
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post

Sometimes, you just have to take what you can get, especially when in the EZAC. Higher-caliber teams see us as punching bags, so they pay the school to go there. Our schools see extra revenue (or saved revenue), and the high caliber team gets to put a smile on their fans' faces (which does backfire every now and then; that's why you play the game). Obviously with a national championship, you're no longer a punching bag, so you get more games at home. Or, in the case of RIT, they can put 10,000 fans into the Blue Cross Arena for a game, and I wouldn't be shocked if there was a promise of gate revenue percentage to get the high caliber team. I'm not suggesting play a game in the Aud or War Memorial, or see if they do another special event at the Carrier Dome, but if you can find some success, the opponents will flock. Connections with other schools don't hurt, either; that's how RPI gets so many games with NCHC opponents.

Comment

And it could be worse - look at Princeton's schedule. They're Ivy league, so limited to only 7 non-conference games. 4 road games, 2 tournament games (in Trenton, about 30 minutes away), and 1 home game - vs. AIC - on a Tuesday.

No home non-conference weekend games. Wow.
            Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
            Clarkson 1990

Comment

I feel your pain. 13 home games? C'mon..unacceptable. What happened to that home-and-home with Arizona State?
              That home and home may come a few years from now. They'll be playing more NCAA games the next year than they are this upcoming year.

If it makes you feel any better, there are plenty of schools that have yet to play Penn State.

Comment

Thanks GR for trying to ease my pain, I appreciate your articulate post. I know about the reciprocating scheduling and the ECAC scheduling. I guess what I want to see is more home games in December and or early January, last year sixty some days without a home game and this year two home games in 68 days is not acceptable. They need to make this two month span shorter.

We at least used to have the Syracuse Invitational Tourney every year, Matt Smith(RIP) used to bring some great OOC teams in. We beat North Dakota for the championship in one.

Do something, anything, sixty some days is way too long.

And Army for the first game at the new arena??? WTH are they thinking ? I hope we at least bring in an ECAC opponent.
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                  And Army for the first game at the new arena??? WTH are they thinking ? I hope we at least bring in an ECAC opponent.
                  They probably wanted to bring in a gimme to try to get the first game to be a win (although that can backfire). And since we're no longer in the predicament where other leagues have so fewer NC games than us, those days of NC games against conference opponents, with exception of special trophy games, seems to be over.

The biggest problem with tournaments, and the reason schools lose their holiday tournaments, is funding. Unless some uber-rich dude in the area is going to sponsor the tournament (and I'm pretty sure Wilmot will stick with RIT), you're probably not going to see it. And given Colgate has had some issues with attendance as of late, that doesn't help matters any more, because you'll see even less fans with the students on break.

Also, when are finals? I seem to recall the NCAA (or possibly the league) having stipulations about games during finals, although sometimes there will be exceptions for exhibition games. Hence why some schools (Princeton in late January, Union the week before Thanksgiving, and so on) have breaks that are fairly regular.

Comment

Wilmot ? Not my idol as a kid #9 Donny Wilmot
                    at Gate in late 60's ??? Naaa
                    Last edited by sshablak; 06-30-2015, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Wilmot ? Not my idol as a kid #9 Donny Wilmot
                      at Gate in late 60's ??? Naaa
                      Hey, I couldn't remember the name of the dude that expanded the Carousel mall. Maybe he's a better choice.

Comment

Unions first seven games are home. They play UNH, Maine, Boston University and Michigan home Now that's scheduling, I know I know, it's because they were Champs two years ago and that opened the doors.

Comment

Unions first seven games are home. They play UNH, Maine, Boston University and Michigan home Now that's scheduling, I know I know, it's because they were Champs two years ago and that opened the doors.
                          Michigan's part of a two-for-one; they will go there for a pair next year.

Comment

Thanks GR for trying to ease my pain, I appreciate your articulate post. I know about the reciprocating scheduling and the ECAC scheduling. I guess what I want to see is more home games in December and or early January, last year sixty some days without a home game and this year two home games in 68 days is not acceptable. They need to make this two month span shorter.

We at least used to have the Syracuse Invitational Tourney every year, Matt Smith(RIP) used to bring some great OOC teams in. We beat North Dakota for the championship in one.

Do something, anything, sixty some days is way too long.

I used to go to the Holiday tourney at MSG where often Clarkson and/or St. Lawrence played. Those were great tournaments; too bad 'Gate can't juggle the scheduling so as to appear in NYC - the alumni turnout could be fantastic.

As for Army, that's a real head scratcher. Other than it being a gimme game, I would think facing Princeton or another ECAC bottom feeder would be more appropriate. Need a traditional rival for the opening. Besides, most of the P'ton coaches are former 'Gate alums/staff. Would make for an interesting first game at Riggs Rink.
                            Last edited by ColSkate65; 07-03-2015, 11:46 AM.
                            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

One quick schedule note for the upcoming season. Vermont released its 2015-16 schedule which includes the Catamount Cup (12/29 - 12/30). The games are pre-arranged so it will not be a true tournament format. According to the UVM presser and web slate, Colgate has been scheduled to meet Brown on the first day of the tournament and then will play Vermont on the second day. Lake Superior State is the third team in the tournament, Colgate will not play them.

So, this means that Colgate and Brown will play three times in just over a month between a league game in Providence (11/20), a league game as part of the Friendship Four in Belfast, Northern Ireland one week later (11/27) and a non-conference game in Burlington, Vt., in the Catamount Cup (12/29).

Comment

I used to go to the Holiday tourney at MSG where often Clarkson and/or St. Lawrence played. Those were great tournaments; too bad 'Gate can't juggle the scheduling so as to appear in NYC - the alumni turnout could be fantastic.

As for Army, that's a real head scratcher. Other than it being a gimme game, I would think facing Princeton or another ECAC bottom feeder would be more appropriate. Need a traditional rival for the opening. Besides, most of the P'ton coaches are former 'Gate alums/staff. Would make for an interesting first game at Riggs Rink.
                                Biggest problem with using Princeton for the opener is that you'd end up having an entire month of away games. Remember the ivy league rules; thye must start later. In addition, it looks as if the ivy league shootout turned liberty invitational turned Capital City Classic is going to be a regular "pre-season" tournament to be hosted by Princeton, so that weekend is gone from consideration.

Comment

Working...
                                X