PDA

View Full Version : Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18

TchrBill
07-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Congrats to Baun and Johnston. I hope their careers are like Andy McDonald's; long and successful minus the concussions. Would love to see another Stanley Cup make it to Hamilton.

This is the ultimate coup for any player, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I was more disappointed with Chris Wagner's departure. It seemed abrupt and I questioned his loyalty and dissatisfaction with Colgate's mediocrity more than most players', perhaps unjustifiably so. I feel Vaughan is being p/c and is not angry. The circumstances are bittersweet and no coach is naive in this game. It is a testament to Vaughan's recruiting skills, development skills, and academic skills that he is able to woo talent away from the bigger conferences and propel them to the NHL. I hope our players' decisions to leave are not a reflection of their time spent at Colgate. Even when players remain, our continuity from one season to the next is unpredictable and high expectations often fall flat, injuries notwithstanding. We can't seem to catapult ourselves to win another title. Despite the hard work and dedication, players must sense that.

Colgate seems to be in an exciting transition. Hopefully a new rink, more frequent NHL prospects and draftees, and all of the accolades that would come from a Colgate degree will mean more legwork for the coaches due to (some) higher turnover, but also a rising national program. BU, NoDak, Minnesota...these schools deal with this stuff every season. It's time we join the club and never look back.

And Chris Heisenberg's recruit list for Colgate's commits is always the shortest in the League, regardless of the year!

CU13
07-18-2015, 11:17 AM
I had such a great time last night seeing many of the Colgate hockey alums back for the Terry Slater Memorial Golf Tournament. Here are some names from the past: Mike Houle, Walter Dubas, Ky Roesler, Chris Renaud, Larry Gertsakis, Jimmy Wallace, Steve Smith, Jeff Cooper, Gerard Waslen, Paul Silvio, Mike LeBlanc, Pete Ens, Rod Powell, Donny Taylor, Kenny Islemoe, Gary Mitchell, Danny Delianadis, Dan Fridgen, Max Maillet, Rick Russell, Vascan Matteosian, Karl Clauss, Joel Gardner, Shawn Lillie, Steve Poapst, Mike Walsh, Clint Campbell, Scott Reston........just to name a few. Lots more to see tonight!!

blemberg
07-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Saw Kyle Baun skating and working out at Starr last night and tonight; last night he was wearing BlackHawks gear and tonight was wearing a Colgate Hockey jersey; too bad he won't be wearing the maroon jersey next year... what could have been!

FlagDUDE08
07-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Steel's going up at the new arena. Hopefully they have a roof on it before it snows so they can get a bunch of the inside work done. Even if it's from a distance and somewhat dark, hopefully I can catch a glimpse this season. Obviously just the outside; not going to look for a tour.

ColSkate65
07-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Steel's going up at the new arena. Hopefully they have a roof on it before it snows so they can get a bunch of the inside work done. Even if it's from a distance and somewhat dark, hopefully I can catch a glimpse this season. Obviously just the outside; not going to look for a tour.

FlagDUDE, if you get inside or real close keep us in the loop. The webcam shows only one view, and doesn't show the steel going up, so any info you can share would be appreciated. :)

FlagDUDE08
07-23-2015, 12:32 PM
FlagDUDE, if you get inside or real close keep us in the loop. The webcam shows only one view, and doesn't show the steel going up, so any info you can share would be appreciated. :)

How about the Colgate Hockey twitter feed? https://twitter.com/colgate_hockey

The images are not as common, but they do give another angle. It's certainly not what they had when Penn State put their rink together, but it's at least good to see.

ColSkate65
07-23-2015, 07:34 PM
How about the Colgate Hockey twitter feed? https://twitter.com/colgate_hockey

The images are not as common, but they do give another angle. It's certainly not what they had when Penn State put their rink together, but it's at least good to see.

Thanks DUDE; that's a good shot via Twitter. I don't do Twitter. Where can I access this link on a day-to-day basis? On the 'Gate Athletic Website??

sshablak
07-24-2015, 05:44 AM
I don't either, great shots. It looks like the main entrance is where the steel is being raised in the southwest corner, I thought the main entrance would be on the northwest corner providing easy access driving (and or dropping off) on college street. I'm surprised. TY Flag !!

CU13
07-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Shabby - the main entrance will be on the College Street side.......actually facing the football stadium. I heard talk of tearing down the old Birch Apts. for parking for the rink. Rumor or real?

FlagDUDE08
07-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Thanks DUDE; that's a good shot via Twitter. I don't do Twitter. Where can I access this link on a day-to-day basis? On the 'Gate Athletic Website??

I'd just recommend bookmarking the link I sent you, and you'll see updates every now and then. You're not required to have a Twitter account to read. I will never join Twitter, either.

FlagDUDE08
07-24-2015, 08:09 AM
I don't either, great shots. It looks like the main entrance is where the steel is being raised in the southwest corner, I thought the main entrance would be on the northwest corner providing easy access driving (and or dropping off) on college street. I'm surprised. TY Flag !!

Maybe it's a side entrance where offices are located, similar to the alternate entrance near the locker rooms that Starr has. Given the steel pattern looks like two floors, it just seems like offices and locker rooms. I'm sure we'll know in good time what it's meant to be.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever used the front entrance, only the one on the side/back that has that hallway with all the locker rooms. It's much easier to get to from parking than the front.

FlagDUDE08
07-24-2015, 08:21 AM
You can now see the construction site on the satellite view of Google Maps (not up to date with foundation and steel, obviously; it's only a dirt base). Assuming the grey dirt is where the building is, I imagine the brown area will be a concourse of sorts with valet-style drop-offs, leaving the main entrance to be on the east side. That wouldn't necessarily disprove a side entrance in the southwest, though. Parking near Reid and the hospital would probably remain, albeit a bit of a longer hike to the facility.

Gate83
07-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Shabby - the main entrance will be on the College Street side.......actually facing the football stadium. I heard talk of tearing down the old Birch Apts. for parking for the rink. Rumor or real?

Real, but not right away. The master plan calls for building new dorms up on the hill as they try to concentrate the student population in one place, rather than the spread we have now. Once those dorms are done, Burch, University & Newell apartments will all be phased out. However, I think that's more of a 5-10 year plan, not immediately.

I'll be up next week & will stop by the site. If I can take some pics that show anything new, will do so!

ColSkate65
07-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Real, but not right away. The master plan calls for building new dorms up on the hill as they try to concentrate the student population in one place, rather than the spread we have now. Once those dorms are done, Burch, University & Newell apartments will all be phased out. However, I think that's more of a 5-10 year plan, not immediately.

I'll be up next week & will stop by the site. If I can take some pics that show anything new, will do so!

Hard to believe all the effort/expense put into establishing the apartments down on College Street and near the athletic facilities, and now the 5-10 yr plan is to do away with them? More dorms up on the hill? Say it isn't so...

Yes, Gate83, please do take some pics. Difficult to see what's happening with the webcam.

Gate83
07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Hard to believe all the effort/expense put into establishing the apartments down on College Street and near the athletic facilities, and now the 5-10 yr plan is to do away with them? More dorms up on the hill? Say it isn't so...

Yes, Gate83, please do take some pics. Difficult to see what's happening with the webcam.

Dug the Master Plan out of the website to confirm, and for once my memory was pretty good! There's a picture of how they envision the finished project to look on pages 22-23. It's also the clearest overview I've found of the orientation of the main entrance etc. of the new rink and relationship to other facilities. Here's the master plan link... http://webedit.colgate.edu/docs/default-source/d_about_past-present-and-future_strategic-planning/colgate-master-plan-final-report.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I was also surprised when I initially heard about the apartments all coming down, but when you think about it... I lived in Burch in the early 80's and they were crappy then, College Street opened in the early 80's, Newell is even older. The newest set of apartments next to the hospital really are pretty remote, my daughter lived there for a semester and felt removed from the rest of the campus over there. On the plus side, the parking where Burch is now will be great for hockey if we're around to see it 10+ years from now...

Will do on the pics.

sshablak
07-31-2015, 07:14 AM
Gate83, You must be the son of who I thought was Gate83(MSG5) is a hint.

FlagDUDE08
07-31-2015, 07:50 AM
I sort of wish they'd show progress on the angle we don't see with the web feed a little more often than once every 3-4 days. Hopefully the outer walls will be up when winter comes a crowin', and they move the webcam feed inside; that was really fun to watch when Penn State built their rink.

Gate83
08-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Shabby, no parent involved. But we've watched games together, you might remember the red hair!

sshablak
08-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Gotcha "Red" !

FlagDUDE08
08-04-2015, 10:42 AM
The Twitter feed has some new pics on the construction. Looks like they're starting the east/west sides of the structure, and I think we can establish some form of offices as being on the southern side with the floor separators there. Still not much happening where the webcam is. https://twitter.com/colgate_hockey http://www.colgate.edu/offices-and-services/information-technology/about-its/naf-webcam#_ga=1.124973454.563966118.1264904973