Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC women's hockey: always the bridesmaid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC women's hockey: always the bridesmaid...

never the bride.

Re: BC women's hockey: always the bridesmaid...

Originally posted by pigglegg View Post
    never the bride.
    You're second on my list for sympathy. Wisconsin has a much better case to be made not just because I think they are a better team that plays a much more difficult schedule but because the only thing between them and the title (once) or a chance to play for the title has been a team that has only lost a half dozen games in the last 4 years.

I was really looking forward to a BC/MN championship game & I do feel bad for BC but not all that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      You're second on my list for sympathy. Wisconsin has a much better case to be made not just because I think they are a better team that plays a much more difficult schedule but because the only thing between them and the title (once) or a chance to play for the title has been a team that has only lost a half dozen games in the last 4 years.
      but Wisconsin has won this thing FOUR TIMES. BC, with the talent and success they've had over the last few years, has yet to win one. the Eagles are due, but just can't get over the hump. I guess they'll have to take a Kazmaier award as consolation this year. but it doesn't remove the sting.

Comment

so I guess it wasn't an undefeated season

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post

I was really looking forward to a BC/MN championship game & I do feel bad for BC but not all that bad.
          BC: suspect netminding, too many gazelles and poor coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
            No question the first goal was on Burt, as that one should never have gone in. But I thought otherwise she did fine. Without a doubt the story of the game was Maschmeyer. I sat directly behind her for all three periods and she was spectacular. Not only did she make many incredible saves but she just looked solid and totally in control - her concentration and form were excellent the whole game. BC had plenty of opportunities to beat her and win the game. I think on a normal night against a normal goalie they would have scored enough to win. But on this night it just wasn't meant to be.

One other observation I would make is I thought both teams did a great job of not turning the puck over. Both had to earn just about everything on their own, as there were very few giveaways. Overall I thought it was a very well played game, but again the real story was Maschmeyer. If she plays like that tomorrow the Gophers will need to take away her vision and try to get a dirty goal or two from close in, just as they were able to do against Desbiens.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
              Their tender had moments, I have no opinion of the quality of their coaching as I have not seen enough games to deserve one. But I am not sure about gazelles. Both MN & WI have plenty of speed but can also dig in the corners with the best of them. You don't go undefeated in the WCHA without that, maybe they just need to toughen up?
              Last edited by ne7minder; 03-21-2015, 09:23 PM.

Comment

BC lost two games versus Harvard by one goal (Minnesota lost two one-goal games to Bemidji State). BC lost to a rival by three with an empty net (Minnesota lost to North Dakota by three with an empty net). It's hockey; teams lose, even at the most inopportune times. I know that all too well. So do Harvard fans. Any fans that have been around long enough know it isn't fun losing big games. But it happens and will continue to happen, to all teams and fan bases.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

From '03 to '05, Harvard went to the championship game and lost each time. Twice by one goal, once in 2OT. So I get that BC fans are upset with coming up short. Getting there is an achievement nonetheless even though at this hour, it seems hollow.

Comment

I also think a light schedule this year was against BC in the end. Hockey East was pretty weak this year. They did not go out of conference schedule and test how good they really were. I also would like to note that for as much talent as BC had this year and the numbers they put up, The power play was average. When you get to the frozen four it is the special teams and lights out goaltending that will make the difference in a game.
                    USA WOMENS HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                      From '03 to '05, Harvard went to the championship game and lost each time. Twice by one goal, once in 2OT. So I get that BC fans are upset with coming up short. Getting there is an achievement nonetheless even though at this hour, it seems hollow.
                      Good perspective; well put.

Comment

The only coaching question I had is why did she wait until it was too late to really matter to call her timeout? I thought that was a coaching error for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          The only coaching question I had is why did she wait until it was too late to really matter to call her timeout? I thought that was a coaching error for sure.
                          I never really thought there was a great moment for a timeout in that game. The one I question more, though even so it wasn't a big deal, was why Brad Frost didn't call time out when the Gophers were called for icing with less than a minute left and protecting a two goal lead. Had it been a one goal lead I would have definitely thought it was a mistake; I've thought that since they instituted the rule that the team guilty of icing couldn't change players, that was one of the moments that you save your time out for.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                            I never really thought there was a great moment for a timeout in that game. The one I question more, though even so it wasn't a big deal, was why Brad Frost didn't call time out when the Gophers were called for icing with less than a minute left and protecting a two goal lead. Had it been a one goal lead I would have definitely thought it was a mistake; I've thought that since they instituted the rule that the team guilty of icing couldn't change players, that was one of the moments that you save your time out for.
                            I believe there was a stoppage in play with just over a minute left that she should have called her timeout but I'll have to go watch the replay of the game to see if I'm remembering correctly or not. Even if the puck location isn't where you want it at a stoppage you sometimes have to call your timeout anyway to rest your top players and go over the strategy for the remaining time.

As far as Frostie not calling a timeout to change his players with a 2 goal lead, I wouldn't either because that basically gives your opponent a free timeout to put their best players on with some rest which is never a good idea. Agree that if it would have been a one goal lead then it's a no brainer that you call your timeout.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEBOX View Post
                              I also think a light schedule this year was against BC in the end. Hockey East was pretty weak this year. They did not go out of conference schedule and test how good they really were. I also would like to note that for as much talent as BC had this year and the numbers they put up, The power play was average. When you get to the frozen four it is the special teams and lights out goaltending that will make the difference in a game.
                              I found this interesting:
                              http://www.wcha.com/women/against.php

Given how commenters rant about the CHA not being very good it is interesting to note that the CHA had a better record against the WCHA this year than either HEA or ECAC.
                              CHA - 8-17-0
                              ECAC - 1-11-1
                              HEA - 2-7-1

Its possible that some of that may be the teams that played each other (the team-by-team is there for the WCHA but not who the opponents were) but interesting nonetheless. Maybe it would help Eastern teams to schedule tougher nonconf games. also interesting to note that the only WCHA team with a losing record against the East was Mankato with SCSU being .500. I am starting to have more sympathy for the argument that UMD and BSU make that they deserve a chance to attend the dance.

Comment

Working...
                              X