Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Women's Frozen Four Championship: Who Wins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Women's Frozen Four Championship: Who Wins?

Choose the team that you believe will win this year's Championship. Comments supporting your prediction are welcome.
    Harvard
    15.22%
    Boston College
    23.91%
    Wisconsin
    17.39%
    Minnesota
    43.48%

The poll is expired.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: 2015 Women's Frozen Four Championship: Who Wins?

Had you asked me 2 weeks ago I would have said Wisconsin was in last place among these 4. Now it's totally, totally wide open.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      Had you asked me 2 weeks ago I would have said Wisconsin was in last place among these 4. Now it's totally, totally wide open.
      I would have to say Wisconsin - freshman line is playing exceptionally well, Sarah Nurse and if ARD is on her game, they will be the team to beat.

Comment

It will be like the NFL in the 70' and 80's...In the 70's the AFC dominated the Superbowl, in the 80's it was the NFC domination....Now that the East has tasted success, that trend will continue..I voted for Harvard (ECAC).......However If I were to vote with my brain, it would be Minnesota winning, the best team from the east is BC, not Harvard and if I vote with history, it would be Wisconsin winning it. (The home team rarely wins, the only time that happened was Minnesota a few year ago, but IIRC that was the "undefeated" team. All other times the Frozen Four was in Minny, another WCHA team won it. )

Having said all that, me thinks this tourney is more unpredictable than it has been in years. Minny is the favorite going in, but each team there has a legit shot at it. A hot goalie and a few bounces can go a long way. Just witness the CIS championships from last weekend. McGill outshot Western by a large margin, but the Mustang skated away to a 5-0 victory. Once McGill got behind 2-0, they lost their composure, and things disintegrated for them in a hurry after that.

Good luck to all four teams and Go Harvard. (As a fan of another Ivy Team that is a hard thing to say )
        Last edited by OnMAA; 03-17-2015, 09:32 AM. Reason: sp.

Comment

Back in 2012, I said going into the Tournament that MN looked red hot, and despite being the #2 seed, I thought they were the team to beat, and I really hadn't changed my opinion in the post season since then. However, with how sharp Wisconsin has looked in recent weeks, especially being fueled by the freshmen, the Badgers are certainly a team on the rise. They actually remind me a bit of the Gophers at this point in 2012.

In the end, I think the Gophers still beat Wisconsin. Give me this game on neutral ice, and I think this might be the game where Wisconsin breaks their losing streak against the Gophers. This game isn't on neutral ice though, and I think a packed Ridder gives MN just enough to push them over the top.

I think BC rolls over Harvard, but doesn't have enough to win the championship.

My prediction, The west takes back the title. I think it will be Minnesota, again taking advantage of home ice in another close game. If Wisconsin somehow knocks off the Gophers, they are going to have the momentum and confidence to beat anyone, including a very good Eagle team.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            (The home team rarely wins, the only time that happened was Minnesota a few year ago, but IIRC that was the "undefeated" team. All other times the Frozen Four was in Minny, another WCHA team won it.
            Actually, it's happened 3 times. The Gophers won it at Ridder in the undefeated season in 2013, but UMD also won it in Duluth in both 2008 and 2003.

Minnesota is the only team to lose on home ice during a Frozen Four, however, falling to Duluth at Ridder in 2010 in the semis. The Gophers also lost on campus in the 2006 final, but the game was played at Mariucci, not Ridder.

Comment

Seems like Wisco have played best over the last two weeks, but I can't get over the fact that Minny always beat them... I've gone for Minny but with very, very low confidence.

Comment

Well of course you have to hedge your bets in this one, but given the dynamics of their seasons and their rivalry this year, I think that the HU/BC winner will be exultant, confident, and pumped enough to win the title game. I'd like to think there's an X-factor here that's going to give the eastern winner momentum in spades.

Comment

So UW is 1-3 vs the Gophers during the season eh? And I have to admit I didn't watch the RIT-Minne game as closely as the BU-UW game.....and while I would like to see the NC stay on the East Coast, if only to quiet the noise coming from west of Chicago, my gut tells me to respect the Badgers.....the way they took BU out of their game, their depth to keep rolling out quality players,( not that that isn't true for Minne), huge confidence in net, and then Coach Johnson....assuming the refs continue to "let the girls play", I'll go with the Badgers....and I hate red!!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                    So UW is 1-3 vs the Gophers during the season eh? And I have to admit I didn't watch the RIT-Minne game as closely as the BU-UW game.....and while I would like to see the NC stay on the East Coast, if only to quiet the noise coming from west of Chicago, my gut tells me to respect the Badgers.....the way they took BU out of their game, their depth to keep rolling out quality players,( not that that isn't true for Minne), huge confidence in net, and then Coach Johnson....assuming the refs continue to "let the girls play", I'll go with the Badgers....and I hate red!!
                    UW was 0-3-1 against Minnesota during the season with Minnesota taking an extra WCHA point in a shootout. But, Wisconsin has looked good the last couple weeks, since losing to St Cloud a couple weeks earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                      So UW is 1-3 vs the Gophers during the season eh?
                      Actually, UW was 0-3-1, losing the shootout.

Wisconsin is 0-15-2 in their last 17 games vs. Minnesota.

Wisconsin's last win against Minnesota was on Oct. 14, 2011. The Badgers last win at Ridder was in the 2011 WCHA Championship game, so I believe the only current Badger to have ever won a game at Ridder is Brittney Ammerman, a 5th year (medical redshirt) senior.

There's been a bit of a run of domination by the Gophers in the rivalry over the past 4 years.

Comment

If North Country is allowed a vote, I would bet on defense wins championships. In my mind Harvard has a top 4 D with a support third D pairing.

When it comes to goalie position, (ECAC bias) I believe that Harvard has the edge, UM's defense is second in D depth, Wicso third, BC forth. Goaltending Harvard first, UW second, UM third, BC forth.

If you look at offence only, then it would be BC first, UM second, Wisco third, Harvard fourth.

But if defense wins championships then presumably Harvard has the best shot. One game affairs can definitely mess this up though, but my vote goes to Harvard.

Comment

Originally posted by clarksoncluck View Post
                          If North Country is allowed a vote, I would bet on defense wins championships. In my mind Harvard has a top 4 D with a support third D pairing.

When it comes to goalie position, (ECAC bias) I believe that Harvard has the edge, UM's defense is second in D depth, Wicso third, BC forth. Goaltending Harvard first, UW second, UM third, BC forth.

If you look at offence only, then it would be BC first, UM second, Wisco third, Harvard fourth.

But if defense wins championships then presumably Harvard has the best shot. One game affairs can definitely mess this up though, but my vote goes to Harvard.
                          Harvard is a DISTANT fourth to the other three in terms of team defense...

UW: 1.08 GAA
                          BC: 1.18 GAA
                          UM: 1.18 GAA
                          HU 1.53 GAA
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

HU 1.53 GAA

ooops.....

Comment

HU 1.53 GAA
                              I was going to ask Watson Rink if all the D were sick (or missing) when they gave up 10 goals to BC. The most the Gophers have given up in any game so far is 3.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X