This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
    Oh, I know I'm in the minority on this one. Hence the term dinosaur. Being in the minority not always a bad thing. 49 states voted for Richard Nixon. 20 months later what happened?

But I digress.

Honestly, I'm happy for all the "fans" who are thrilled with this news. I've just never understood all the wasted time, energy and brain cells over a jumbotron. I go for the action on the ice. Period. There is only one thing I care about adding to the rafters at the Whitt, and it sure ain't a friggin jumbotron.

BTW, UNH hockey fans are all over the place on this issue. The current AD has taken plenty of heat on this thread and others, perhaps deservedly so. Yet, I've heard little complaining that in the press release he refers to using the new screens for marketing and promotional opportunities. Likewise, many of these same fans whine about spending money on facilities across the street on a more successful program. They do so under the guise of worrying about the fiscal stability of the athletic department, though I would contend that much of the consternation is jealousy. However I've seen no similar mocking of the attempt to raise money to put up the sacred jumbotron.

Flame away. I'm sure the negative rep is coming way.
    No flame throwing here. EXCELLENT post.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015

Originally posted by Felger View Post
      Honestly, I'm happy for all the "fans" who are thrilled with this news. I've just never understood all the wasted time, energy and brain cells over a jumbotron. I go for the action on the ice. Period. There is only one thing I care about adding to the rafters at the Whitt, and it sure ain't a friggin jumbotron.

BTW, UNH hockey fans are all over the place on this issue. The current AD has taken plenty of heat on this thread and others, perhaps deservedly so. Yet, I've heard little complaining that in the press release he refers to using the new screens for marketing and promotional opportunities. Likewise, many of these same fans whine about spending money on facilities across the street on a more successful program. They do so under the guise of worrying about the fiscal stability of the athletic department, though I would contend that much of the consternation is jealousy. However I've seen no similar mocking of the attempt to raise money to put up the sacred jumbotron.
      With you all the way on this one, Felger. And with all due respect, contrary to C-H-C's preference, I hope like heck they resist the urge to show the live action up there. It just irks me to no end when I go to other arenas, and some fans never take their eyes off the jumbotron for the live action. Good for them I suppose ... but you miss a lot of action when you watch a small screen and its constant focus on the puck. All you ever hear from hockey converts is how they never really appreciated the game fully until they saw it live and in person. So now the solution is to push people away from the live action?? This way, it's back to watching the game on a huge glorified high-def TV. What's the next move - recliners at center ice for the premium season ticketholders?
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        With you all the way on this one, Felger. And with all due respect, contrary to C-H-C's preference, I hope like heck they resist the urge to show the live action up there. It just irks me to no end when I go to other arenas, and some fans never take their eyes off the jumbotron for the live action. Good for them I suppose ... but you miss a lot of action when you watch a small screen and its constant focus on the puck. All you ever hear from hockey converts is how they never really appreciated the game fully until they saw it live and in person. So now the solution is to push people away from the live action?? This way, it's back to watching the game on a huge glorified high-def TV. What's the next move - recliners at center ice for the premium season ticketholders?
        So Chuck, you've never gone to a game at the Agganis Arena, for example, and briefly looked up at the live action on the jumbotron when the puck went into a corner you couldn't see from your seat, then returned your gaze to the ice when the play came back into your view? Wouldn't it be nice to have that option at the Whittemore Center?
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Great stuff on all sides here today. As a long-time proponent for a jumbotron at Lake Whitt, I am looking forward to seeing replays of goals, and even SOG, as at the arena I sometimes find myself watching action behind or peripheral to the main play, and sometimes my eyes are not what they once were for picking up the puck in the net, etc. Yeah, I am sure that there will be a lot of promotional crapola before games begin and between periods, but I will not feel obligated to watch that stuff, just as I miss a lot of the on-ice events between periods now.

If we win even one more recruiting battle per year, the jumbotron will be worth every penny, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            So Chuck, you've never gone to a game at the Agganis Arena, for example, and briefly looked up at the live action on the jumbotron when the puck went into a corner you couldn't see from your seat, then returned your gaze to the ice when the play came back into your view? Wouldn't it be nice to have that option at the Whittemore Center?
            Honestly C-H-C, I never watch a jumbotron during live action, where they are available. Sometimes replays are fun, and obviously the clock and penalty times are important. But I'm also pretty much against instant replay for anything other than a goal/no goal call. I'm probably an even bigger dinosaur than Felger, and an older fogie than 'Watcher. So consider the source.

For what it's worth though ... I'm thinking your assumption of complete video coverage of the entire ice surface at The Whitt may prove to be flawed though. Most of the TV coverage I've seen from The Whitt has been from a single vantage point, along the press box area. To get at the so-called "blind spots" (i.e. corners on the press box side of the arena), they're going to need multiple camera locations, with at least one of those on the opposite side of the ice. Not to mention a director of some sorts that changes the camera shots, no? These are resources that no doubt exist at the TD Garden, and most likely at Agganis. Would the NHPTV crew be brought in to make this happen?

Comment

Me thinks you protest too much but I hear you on the live action piece; will be interesting to see how it pans out! As per the recliners, you've seen 'em in the back near section 114...
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Honestly C-H-C, I never watch a jumbotron during live action, where they are available. Sometimes replays are fun, and obviously the clock and penalty times are important. But I'm also pretty much against instant replay for anything other than a goal/no goal call. I'm probably an even bigger dinosaur than Felger, and an older fogie than 'Watcher. So consider the source.

For what it's worth though ... I'm thinking your assumption of complete video coverage of the entire ice surface at The Whitt may prove to be flawed though. Most of the TV coverage I've seen from The Whitt has been from a single vantage point, along the press box area. To get at the so-called "blind spots" (i.e. corners on the press box side of the arena), they're going to need multiple camera locations, with at least one of those on the opposite side of the ice. Not to mention a director of some sorts that changes the camera shots, no? These are resources that no doubt exist at the TD Garden, and most likely at Agganis. Would the NHPTV crew be brought in to make this happen?
                Using fairly low quality cameras unless the game is on NESN or NBCSN.

I hope they are purchasing very high quality screens and will show replays of all goals scored by the home and visiting team, penalties, extraordinary plays and plays being reviewed. Very unlikely all that will happen.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Looks like TvR just got recalled up to Chicago.
                  I do not think that TvR made it into the lineup, but what a game 4! Perhaps he will get a chance in games 5 or 6? Back-to-back knee and wrist injuries made for a tough rookie season spent mostly on the shelf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    I do not think that TvR made it into the lineup, but what a game 4! Perhaps he will get a chance in games 5 or 6? Back-to-back knee and wrist injuries made for a tough rookie season spent mostly on the shelf.
                    According to a story on Twitter he did not travel with the team to Anaheim...agreed what a game...from news reports I gather he's on standby doesn't seem ready?
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      According to a story on Twitter he did not travel with the team to Anaheim...agreed what a game...from news reports I gather he's on standby doesn't seem ready?
                      Does not sound like Queneville will play TvR in Blackhawks elimination game 6 tonight despite his depleted defensive corps?
                      Last edited by Snively65; 05-27-2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Does not sound like Queneville will play TvR in Blackhawks elimination game 6 tonight despite his depleted defensive corps?
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                          Interesting to see if he gets in game 7...can't be any worse for the wear I suppose and given what the Hawks have to use for the bottom D pairs heck, bring in TvR if he's ready!!!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Interesting to see if he gets in game 7...can't be any worse for the wear I suppose and given what the Hawks have to use for the bottom D pairs heck, bring in TvR if he's ready!!!
                            Convincing 5-2 win by Blackhawks, but Ducks won SOG 32-23. I could not find a box score that showed minutes played or who was on the ice for the two Ducks goals, but my guess is that the Blackhawks third D pair did not see much ice time. Duncan Keith was No. 1 star with his assists on first thee goals.

Comment

Listen guys, honestly ... I admire your support and all the TvR-related enthusiasm ... but the idea that a young AHL kid with minimal NHL regular season experience is going to walk off glorified IR smack dab into Game 7 of the Western Finals is a bit farfetched. He is there in case of an emergency - and maybe even to soak up the high intensity atmosphere for the future. "Emergency" does not include replacing even the muckiest journeyman 4th pairing NHL defenseman.

And even IF he does (amazingly) dress for Game 7, I'd be shocked if Quenneville gave him more than 5 minutes of spot duty in relatively safe situations. Otherwise, carry on.

Comment

Listen guys, honestly ... I admire your support and all the TvR-related enthusiasm ... but the idea that a young AHL kid with minimal NHL regular season experience is going to walk off glorified IR smack dab into Game 7 of the Western Finals is a bit farfetched. He is there in case of an emergency - and maybe even to soak up the high intensity atmosphere for the future. "Emergency" does not include replacing even the muckiest journeyman 4th pairing NHL defenseman.

And even IF he does (amazingly) dress for Game 7, I'd be shocked if Quenneville gave him more than 5 minutes of spot duty in relatively safe situations. Otherwise, carry on.
                                Jeez Chuck, while you're at it, might as well pizz in everyone's Cheerios again this morning and tell us that the jumbotron at the Whitt isn't going to entice the blue chippas to Durham. I've already put in for vacation days for the weeks after the FF for 2016-2024 so I can make sure I can get to the parade in Durham!
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X