NCAA Quarterfinal: RIT @ Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Quarterfinal: RIT @ Minnesota

For discussion of this q'final match up. RIT a team I've never had the opportunity to see on the ice. I'm interested in thoughts on key players...players to watch for the CHA tournament entrant from those more familiar. I can say I've been fairly impressed with their transition to D-I. Not bad making the field at this stage as a D-I program and grabbing the inaugural CHA auto-bid. Congrats to them on making the tournament.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: NCAA Quarterfinal: RIT @ Minnesota

Binnington. I think this goes without saying, but Ali Binnington steals games for RIT. 11-1 with 0.90 GAA in post season play. RIT doesn't have a stand out goal scorer (or 2) like Minnesota seems to. RIT's point leader is Lindsay Grigg with 18 (7-11). The whole team plays good defense - limits scoring opportunities and blocks shots.

The senior class (Binnington, Scoyne, McCrea, Maugeri, Bulleid, Grigg, Brown) know how to win in the postseason. They were freshmen in 2011-2012 when RIT won the D3 championship.

Minnesota will be a tough opponent, but they shouldn't look past RIT.
    Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
    College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
    Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
    Men's Frozen Four 2010
    Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
    Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
      Binnington. I think this goes without saying, but Ali Binnington steals games for RIT. 11-1 with 0.90 GAA in post season play. RIT doesn't have a stand out goal scorer (or 2) like Minnesota seems to. RIT's point leader is Lindsay Grigg with 18 (7-11). The whole team plays good defense - limits scoring opportunities and blocks shots.
      Hmmm, great goaltending, good defense and lots of blocked shots...sounds painfully familiar. Gophers better have learned a thing or two from their most recent loss to a team with those same skills.

For those coming out to Minny this weekend, our weather has suddenly (and finally) turned for the better. Forecast calls for no precip, temps in the 50's with even a shot at 60. Expect to see lots of locals wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

For those coming out to Minny this weekend, our weather has suddenly (and finally) turned for the better. Forecast calls for no precip, temps in the 50's with even a shot at 60. Expect to see lots of locals wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
        you are making excuses for our weather after what they have been thru this year?

but do take heed of locals wearing shorts, I saw way more than I wanted to this weekend
        Last edited by pokechecker; 03-09-2015, 12:14 PM. Reason: Rochester NY, not Rochester, MN stupid

Comment

I expect the Cinderella post-season story has run its course for RIT. I think the Gophers will hit double digits on their way to victory.

Comment

It might be fun to start a parallel thread involving a virtual contest with the Pairwise #8 you would have played had it not been for the CHA autobid?

Comment

in 2011-2012 when RIT won the D3 championship.
              D3????

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
                D3????
                Not sure if sarcasm, but yes, RIT is a third year DI program.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                  It might be fun to start a parallel thread involving a virtual contest with the Pairwise #8 you would have played had it not been for the CHA autobid?
                  Cornell or UND ?

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
                    D3????
                    http://www.d3hockey.com/ncaatourname...womens-central

and they moved to D1 right after. (That was already decided prior to the championship).

Comment

I think this goes without saying, but Ali Binnington steals games for RIT. 11-1 with 0.90 GAA in post season play.
                      Gophers have to come out hard at maximum strength without taking anything for granted. No sense with three games to go, and a single elim tournament for all the marbles, getting distracted by things like RIT was D3 a few years ago or they have a losing record on the season.

Gophers can be a very, very good team that's extremely difficult to beat when they are playing like they are capable of. Turn it on Gophs starting Saturday. Let's go back to winning tournaments.

Comment

Maybe this game will be the rodentette's Holy Cross game. :O
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                          http://www.d3hockey.com/ncaatourname...womens-central

and they moved to D1 right after. (That was already decided prior to the championship).
                          It was obviously in the works before the championship, but it wasn't official until afterwards.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            I expect the Cinderella post-season story has run its course for RIT. I think the Gophers will hit double digits on their way to victory.
                            No one's put up more than 6 on RIT this season -- and even then it was without Binnington. Every year so far in the D-I era, the Tigers have improved significantly in their results as the season goes on.

I won't say double digits is out of the question. But it would require the Gophers to be firing on all cylinders and playing their absolute best game.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                              No one's put up more than 6 on RIT this season -- and even then it was without Binnington. Every year so far in the D-I era, the Tigers have improved significantly in their results as the season goes on.

I won't say double digits is out of the question. But it would require the Gophers to be firing on all cylinders and playing their absolute best game.
                              After their last game when they scored zero goals the Gophers have no reason to be overconfident. Yes, as the #1 seed playing the #8 seed they're strong favorites to win this game, but I would agree that reaching double digits is unlikely. If Binnington stands on her head and were to somehow post her season-long SV% of .940, the Gophers would have to put 160 shots on goal to get to 10 goals...not going to happen.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X