Northeastern Huskies 2015 Off-Season Thread: Unrequited Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2015 Off-Season Thread: Unrequited Love

Thank you Chris Rawlings for costing us Jon Gillies. Rawlings just keeps on killing me.
    "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Never underestimate the power of the Holy Sprit.. Jesus made some saves for PC tonight and let a few trickle in on BU. Lord have mercy! Hell yeah Jesus is a Friers fan! Who knew..LOL! In all truth the BU goaile sucked.

Comment

no National Championship.. no problem..
        gonna take it International.. baby..

http://www.gonu.com/news/2015/4/9/MHKY_0409151250.aspx

GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

OMG, this just out BU goaile Matt O'Connor noticibly upset as a result of his horrifc play in the NCAA national champinship game, arrived back at campus and jumped directly in front of an MBTA bus on Comm Ave. in front of Marsh Chapel, no worries it went thru his legs! He is fine! LOL!

Comment

so is gilles going to bring the trophy over to a corner one day and let the locals get a look? a la ray bourque at city hall when he won with the avs?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
              OMG, this just out BU goaile Matt O'Connor noticibly upset as a result of his horrifc play in the NCAA national champinship game, arrived back at campus and jumped directly in front of an MBTA bus on Comm Ave. in front of Marsh Chapel, no worries it went thru his legs! He is fine! LOL!
              You are cruel, LOL
              NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Rossi.. that was harsh. (okay it was funny, no doubt).

I remember Gionta from National Championship gm yrs ago versus NoDak.. heartbreak for him.. then.. put it behind him..
                did pretty well for himself.

Same went for our very own Brad Thiessen (early NCAA exit to Cornell) .. yup, still ticking in the pros..
                Joe Vitale.. avergae to good @ NU.. then just turning it up couple notches, making a career in the NHL. Some good $$$ too.

So much of the gm is mental now.. if this kid (O'Connor) is worth his salt.. he'll bounce back somehow. If not.. there you have it.

I'm just worried about our program.. its health & future. Again, Providence absolutely hit a home run with the Leaman hire..
                meanwhile.. Roby is taking us to the BelPot. can't make this stuff up..
                GO NU HOCKEY
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                  ..I'm just worried about our program.. its health & future. Again, Providence absolutely hit a home run with the Leaman hire..
                  meanwhile.. Roby is taking us to the BelPot. can't make this stuff up..
                  This!
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                    I remember Gionta from National Championship gm yrs ago versus NoDak.. heartbreak for him.. then.. put it behind him.. did pretty well for himself.
                    He only had to put it behind him for a year.
                    Gionta lost the NC game against Nodak in 2000. He won the National Championship in 2001 against NoDak (He actually had 3 heartbreakers before winning the big prize).
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
                      Thank you Chris Rawlings for costing us Jon Gillies. Rawlings just keeps on killing me.
                      The Hockey Assassin cost NU Johnny Gaudreau and Gillies, etc. When he forced Greg Cronin out and replaced him with an amateur coach who had zero head coaching experience. Jim Madigan had taken a ten year absence from coaching. Compare that with the dynamic new coaches at Lowell and Providence.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        He only had to put it behind him for a year.
                        Gionta lost the NC game against Nodak in 2000. He won the National Championship in 2001 against NoDak (He actually had 3 heartbreakers before winning the big prize).
                        .. just resilient. that's what I remember of him. my point was more @ the kid o'connor.. & moments I remember of coll players before him having some tough times..
                        of course last night was bad.. but he was in the nat title gm.
                        Just at NU of recent we've had a Brad Thiessen.. then a C Rawlings (different mindsets)..
                        not to end of the world.. if he (o'connor) wants it... there'll be other gms in his career.
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

So let's recap after the new coaching hires at NU, PC and Lowell

Lowell

2x HEA champions
                          Frozen Four

PC

National champions

NU

This is what happens when you hire a real coach. And the fact that we could've had Gillies still ****es me off. As long as Roby is in command, we will be mediocre. Mediocre is the worst thing to be in sports. When you're god-awful there is no excuse to keep things the same.
                          Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by roma View Post
                            The Hockey Assassin cost NU Johnny Gaudreau and Gillies, etc. When he forced Greg Cronin out and replaced him with an amateur coach who had zero head coaching experience. Jim Madigan had taken a ten year absence from coaching. Compare that with the dynamic new coaches at Lowell and Providence.
                            Might as well add Michigan Tech to that list. In the same four seasons, Mel Pearson took a perennial bottom feeder to the WCHA championship game and an NCAA bid. I also had to swallow hard every time Albie O'Connell showed up in TV shots of the BU bench. Think some of those high-end freshmen now on lower Comm. Ave. might have turned up on Huntington had Cronin & Co. not been run out of town?
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Basically all the season I've been saying that I think O'Connor was being overrated when many stories came out about how coveted he was going to be by NHL teams this summer. Watching him play, I thought/still think his ceiling is the AHL. He's not quick enough and his rebound control isn't good enough to be an NHL goalie. In fairness to him, I said the same thing about Ben Bishop at Maine and was wrong.

Now, he gives up an admittedly terrible goal in the National Championship, and the same people say that now he will only get a contract over seas. As bad as that goal was, I think it's completely unfair to change your entire opinion about a player based on one play. I thought he was an AHL goalie 24 hours ago, and I still do. I hope NHL scouts and GMs are not that fickle.
                              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                                Basically all the season I've been saying that I think O'Connor was being overrated when many stories came out about how coveted he was going to be by NHL teams this summer. Watching him play, I thought/still think his ceiling is the AHL. He's not quick enough and his rebound control isn't good enough to be an NHL goalie. In fairness to him, I said the same thing about Ben Bishop at Maine and was wrong.

Now, he gives up an admittedly terrible goal in the National Championship, and the same people say that now he will only get a contract over seas. As bad as that goal was, I think it's completely unfair to change your entire opinion about a player based on one play. I thought he was an AHL goalie 24 hours ago, and I still do. I hope NHL scouts and GMs are not that fickle.
                                I think you have to take into account the Steve Blass/Chuck Knobloch factor here. Head cases, for whatever reason, are perceived as uncoachable when it come to changing that mental issue. OC is fine, heck better than above average fine, stopping shots. He has talked about his work on rebounds.
                                The issue isn't he four ncaa games was giving up a goal each game on gaffes. Puck handling epic gaffes.
                                That stuff leaves a mark (sorry to say).
                                If he returns for his sr season I may have him pencilled in as the #3 goalie behind maguire and lacouvee after when at saw the past 3 weeks
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X