Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota @ Ohio State: 3/7 & 3/8

Originally posted by IronMonkee View Post
    Huge crowd and regional tend not to go together...
    ^ ^ ^ Missed the joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      ^ ^ ^ Missed the joke.
      I'm not going to pretend that's unusual.
      "A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." -Calvin

4:00 double minors for roughing, to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        When I was still in MN I dIdn't find it difficult to avoid Twitter/Facebook/GPL/USCHO/score apps for a few hours until I got home and fired up the DVR. I can't remember the last time I heard the score of a game I was trying to avoid for just a little bit.
        I live in a town where hockey is king, so most of the small talk is about the latest game (Wild, Gophs, UMD, H.S. etc.) so not easy to avoid scores. Had a few times this year I recorded a game that was on while I was playing, and some pri-ck had to check his smartphone and announce the score in the locker room. Both days this weekend, I have conflicts and will be out, so I am hoping not to overhear anything. Of course, the worst I dealt with was a couple times staying at my Dad's where I asked him to record a game, but not tell me the outcome. One time he meets me at the door just beaming. Other time, meets me at the door. Hands me the tape and says 'well, you can watch this if you feel like it' in the same sort of voice you would use to explain to them someone close to them just died.

Comment

Being stuck in 5th place i want the buckeyes to get momentum for Detroit. The early start on Friday is going to keep me from the game i live 2 hours away and cant get there until the end of the 1st period so i will just watch on TV. I was hoping that Lucia would get that wins record last weekend which would have kept the gophers in first place. As far as the standings go this is much more important for Minnesota but like i said i just hope the Buckeyes can keep playing well like they have the last 4 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
            I live in a town where hockey is king, so most of the small talk is about the latest game (Wild, Gophs, UMD, H.S. etc.) so not easy to avoid scores. Had a few times this year I recorded a game that was on while I was playing, and some pri-ck had to check his smartphone and announce the score in the locker room. Both days this weekend, I have conflicts and will be out, so I am hoping not to overhear anything. Of course, the worst I dealt with was a couple times staying at my Dad's where I asked him to record a game, but not tell me the outcome. One time he meets me at the door just beaming. Other time, meets me at the door. Hands me the tape and says 'well, you can watch this if you feel like it' in the same sort of voice you would use to explain to them someone close to them just died.
            Make no apologies, Koho. I totally relate to this.

Before the conference realignment, I used to record non-CCHA games of interest. Gopher & Badger games were at the top of that list. I figured I'd be fine for days, given that local coverage was limited to the CCHA. I can't tell you how many times I had games spoiled by comments, calls and e-mails -- from friends both here and elsewhere. E-mails wouldn't have to be a problem, except the spoiler would appear in the d@#n subject line!

And your Dad isn't the only bad poker player out there. I once had a buddy say: "I won't tell you about the outcome, I'll just say there's something really special about this game." After my team had taken an early lead, I watched the rest of regulation time in misery -- knowing full well we were going to overtime.

People have gotten better about this over the years, but still...

Then there's Buckeye Football. Unless you're in a sensory deprivation chamber, forget it. Time shifting is impossible. No words need to be exchanged. You can tell by people's body language how the game turned out. Extra bounce in the step vs. slumped over shoulders.

Comment

Several times I've been at Gopher women's games, intending to watch the men's game on the DVR when I got home, but someone sitting around me will blurt out, "I see the men's team...."

Danm smart phones!
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

There's little chance to get out of Ridder without hearing the score and you were taking a chance thinking you could.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  There's little chance to get out of Ridder without hearing the score and you were taking a chance thinking you could.
                  You would be surprised! Based on my experience hearing the men's score is the exception to the rule.

Comment

That's because 9/10 the ladies finish first.

And no that was not intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                      5 o clock on a friday in columbus, should be a huge crowd on hand. It will probably feel like playing in a regional.
                      Accurate and genuinely humorous.

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                      Ohio State has crappy fan support and huge empty arena...
                      Getting a little carried away. The Friday Penn State game drew 4153. The Saturday rematch attracted 6625. Not up the standards of the top college hockey hotbeds, but not awful in the context of college hockey as a whole. With the upper deck curtained off, it's a respectable result. Of course it is far from ideal -- as any OSU hockey fan will tell you.

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                      OSU has enough trouble getting fans to the game. This ultra early time definitely won't help them.
                      Yes, with the crazy-early start time, I expect poor results. Comparing it with the two Penn State crowds, I'm assuming the Friday Minnesota crowd will be easily the smallest of the four. But I'm hopeful the Saturday Minnesota crowd will match last Saturday's turnout. No inside info; just hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                        You think they want to adapt to get to UW's level of success? Um... okay.

At 2 wins for OSU in the history of the series...yep.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Minnesota must crush the next (4) games. No excuses, no letdowns, no nothing. Win the next (4).
                          Watched replay of OSU's home sweep of Penn St. It's only two games, but they didn't look at all like the team the Gophers swept a month ago. Gophers better be ready to play.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                            Watched replay of OSU's home sweep of Penn St. It's only two games, but they didn't look at all like the team the Gophers swept a month ago. Gophers better be ready to play.
                            Was impressed by Greco in the series here.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                              At this stage of the season, and given the position they are in, it would be very foolish to take ANY team lightly. They need that killer mentality that we've only seen flashes of throughout the 2nd half.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                Was impressed by Greco in the series here.
                                Seems like Greco, Weis, Fritz, Shilkey are OSU players who appear to have elevated their game since visiting Mariucci. Frey was good in nets all weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X