PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota @ Ohio State: 3/7 & 3/8

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

D2D
03-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Several times I've been at Gopher women's games, intending to watch the men's game on the DVR when I got home, but someone sitting around me will blurt out, "I see the men's team...." :mad:

Danm smart phones!

Slap Shot
03-03-2015, 06:43 PM
There's little chance to get out of Ridder without hearing the score and you were taking a chance thinking you could. :)

D2D
03-03-2015, 07:24 PM
There's little chance to get out of Ridder without hearing the score and you were taking a chance thinking you could. :)
You would be surprised! Based on my experience hearing the men's score is the exception to the rule.

Slap Shot
03-03-2015, 07:59 PM
That's because 9/10 the ladies finish first.

And no that was not intentional. :(

pgb-ohio
03-03-2015, 08:23 PM
5 o clock on a friday in columbus, should be a huge crowd on hand. It will probably feel like playing in a regional.Accurate and genuinely humorous.

Ohio State has crappy fan support and huge empty arena...Getting a little carried away. The Friday Penn State game drew 4153. The Saturday rematch attracted 6625. Not up the standards of the top college hockey hotbeds, but not awful in the context of college hockey as a whole. With the upper deck curtained off, it's a respectable result. Of course it is far from ideal -- as any OSU hockey fan will tell you.

OSU has enough trouble getting fans to the game. This ultra early time definitely won't help them.Yes, with the crazy-early start time, I expect poor results. Comparing it with the two Penn State crowds, I'm assuming the Friday Minnesota crowd will be easily the smallest of the four. But I'm hopeful the Saturday Minnesota crowd will match last Saturday's turnout. No inside info; just hoping.

5mn_Major
03-03-2015, 10:50 PM
You think they want to adapt to get to UW's level of success? Um... okay.

:cool:

At 2 wins for OSU in the history of the series...yep.

HarleyMC
03-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Minnesota must crush the next (4) games. No excuses, no letdowns, no nothing. Win the next (4).

Watched replay of OSU's home sweep of Penn St. It's only two games, but they didn't look at all like the team the Gophers swept a month ago. Gophers better be ready to play.

5mn_Major
03-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Watched replay of OSU's home sweep of Penn St. It's only two games, but they didn't look at all like the team the Gophers swept a month ago. Gophers better be ready to play.

Was impressed by Greco in the series here.

D2D
03-04-2015, 12:07 AM
At this stage of the season, and given the position they are in, it would be very foolish to take ANY team lightly. They need that killer mentality that we've only seen flashes of throughout the 2nd half.

HarleyMC
03-04-2015, 12:48 AM

Seems like Greco, Weis, Fritz, Shilkey are OSU players who appear to have elevated their game since visiting Mariucci. Frey was good in nets all weekend.

gopher wes
03-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Make no apologies, Koho. I totally relate to this.

Before the conference realignment, I used to record non-CCHA games of interest. Gopher & Badger games were at the top of that list. I figured I'd be fine for days, given that local coverage was limited to the CCHA. I can't tell you how many times I had games spoiled by comments, calls and e-mails -- from friends both here and elsewhere. E-mails wouldn't have to be a problem, except the spoiler would appear in the d@#n subject line!

And your Dad isn't the only bad poker player out there. I once had a buddy say: "I won't tell you about the outcome, I'll just say there's something really special about this game." After my team had taken an early lead, I watched the rest of regulation time in misery -- knowing full well we were going to overtime.

People have gotten better about this over the years, but still...

Then there's Buckeye Football. Unless you're in a sensory deprivation chamber, forget it. Time shifting is impossible. No words need to be exchanged. You can tell by people's body language how the game turned out. Extra bounce in the step vs. slumped over shoulders.
During the first round of the NHL Playoffs last year I was at a wedding. It was game 2 of the Wild/Avs series (I believe). Well the reception hall had a bar and a bunch of guys kept sneaking in there to watch the game. I flat out told them I DID NOT WANT SCORE UPDATES. Yet every time the one guy came back he told me what the score was. I went home basically knowing the Wild were going to lose in OT. Made the DVR less enjoyable.

gopher wes
03-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Agreed. Overall tOSU was not good that weekend but Greco definitely stood out.

SanTropez
03-04-2015, 08:40 AM
I think OSU would finish above michigan state, penn state and of course becky if the B1G season was a month longer. They are playing some decent hockey and can score some goals. Greco is fast.

Gophers better be ready to skate.

HarleyMC
03-04-2015, 08:48 AM
After sweeping Penn State, Ohio State Uinversity seems to be looking forward and ramping up their game. The Gopher's will be facing an OSU team this weekend eager to find its true potential:

Sophomore goaltender Christian Frey led the way for the Buckeyes defensively, saving 70 shots in the series. “He’s been pretty good for us, there’s no question,” coach Steve Rohlik said. “He’s steady, he’s comfortable. Right now all we’re asking is that he gives us a chance and he’s certainly giving us a chance every night.” The Arlington, Texas, native credited the defense for his success. “They were doing a lot in front of me,” Frey said. “They are always blocking shots and clearing the shots in front of me.”

The defense amplified its intensity throughout the series, limiting Penn State to 27 shots on Saturday. Junior defenseman Sam Jardine said OSU’s newfound intensity is because of the Buckeyes’ playoff mentality. “We’ve been talking about playing desperate playoff hockey,” Jardine said. “And that’s what happens (when) the intensity picks up, the physicality picks up, blocking shots, it’s just a by-product of us wanting it a little bit more.”

Even though the Buckeyes were successful this weekend, Fritz said OSU isn’t taking time off, as the team is beginning to prepare for Minnesota this coming weekend. “(The win) just builds confidence going into next weekend, but as coach says, preparation starts Monday,” he said. Rohlik is finally able to see what his team is capable of producing as the Buckeyes took on Penn State with a healthy roster. “I envisioned what this team was and I don’t think we had the opportunity these last couple months for injury reasons and different things like that,” Rohlik said. “But these guys stayed with it and this is the time to peak. We’re excited and we know we have some huge challenges ahead of us but were just going to take it one step at a time, one game at a time. That’s our attitude.”

gopher wes
03-04-2015, 09:03 AM
I didn't realize Frey was only a sophomore. He could do some damage in the B1G if he sticks around. He's not flashy from what I've watched of tOSU, but he's solid.

HarleyMC
03-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I didn't realize Frey was only a sophomore. He could do some damage in the B1G if he sticks around. He's not flashy from what I've watched of tOSU, but he's solid.

He looked solid last weekend against a very tenacious Penn State squad. Frey was between the pipes last season when OSU eliminated the Gophers in the first round of the B1G playoffs.

gopher wes
03-04-2015, 09:25 AM
He looked solid last weekend against a very tenacious Penn State squad. Frey was between the pipes last season when OSU eliminated the Gophers in the first round of the B1G playoffs.
And he looked **** good for the majority of the championship game against sconnie. Almost stole that game for tOSU. I feel like it was a lot of defensive breakdowns in front of him, but I don't remember for sure.

5mn_Major
03-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Agreed with everyone on OSU here. But the Gophers outside of this last game still should sweep even an improved OSU. The Gophers have been on fire. With the operative words 'have been'.

HarleyMC
03-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Agreed with everyone on OSU here. But the Gophers outside of this last game still should sweep even an improved OSU. The Gophers have been on fire. With the operative words 'have been'.

Gophers have not been a good road team this year (4-6-2). They better have the pedal to the metal all weekend. Got a feeling Rohlik and co. is preparing OSU to do some serious damage this weekend to right their ship.

klbaum1077
03-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Ohio state has played some decent hockey since that series in Minneapolis. Frey has been very solid since Christmas. We are starting to see a couple of lines get going and the team as a whole cut down on the mistakes they are making. Greco was definitely the best ohio state player on the ice in that series up in minneapolis and now he is getting help from Fritz, Weis and Schilkey. They lost the top 2 scorers on the team and it seems like the guys who were here last year are now stepping up and producing. I know they are stuck in 5th barring a miracle of sweeping you guys and Wisconsin plus Penn State losing the last 4 but i like they way they are playing. Once we get to Detroit anything can happen in a 1 game shot.