WCHA Playoffs 2015: MacNaughton Quest Determined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Playoffs 2015: MacNaughton Quest Determined

One last weekend. Tech needs a sweep to stay in the hunt, but Mankato wins unless Bemidji pulls off a major upset.

Conference playoffs to follow.

Re: WCHA Playoffs 2015: MacNaughton Quest Determined

DavyD-The league has the schedule set up so all teams play their designated "rival" on the final weekend of the regular season. This is being done to minimize travel on the weekend prior to the playoffs.
    I know they kicked around the idea of fixing the Alaska matchups prior to last season and then quickly abandoned the idea; but holy wah the league couldn't script better finales if they tried. Last season worked out well, and this season has so much drama.

It's nice to have a league and commissioner who isn't afraid to let the schedule play out (ie: end season vs rivals) and be rewarded with such good drama.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Man this is going to be a long week......

At least BSU has the tie breakers on Ferris and Northern for fourth, so that guarantees that Ferris will be on the road for the playoffs.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Last thread closed before I could respond. Someone said that Mankato can bus to South Bend. Sure, thats true, but you're completely ignoring the fact that for NCAA tournament purposes, the NCAA defines a trip as being a flight if it is more than 400 miles. Mankato to South Bend is a flight by NCAA policy.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Last thread closed before I could respond. Someone said that Mankato can bus to South Bend. Sure, thats true, but you're completely ignoring the fact that for NCAA tournament purposes, the NCAA defines a trip as being a flight if it is more than 400 miles. Mankato to South Bend is a flight by NCAA policy.
          very true, I was going to point that out...there is a difference between a program choosing to bus 8 hours and the NCAA definition of what is a flight.
          I would hope Mankato would get placed in South Bend if they finish top 2 for the simple fact that they shouldn't be forced to go east and likely play eastern teams...we shall see.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Hi - I'm a Michigan Tech fan. I see this thread relates to the MacNaughton Cup, WCHA Playoffs, NCAA Seedings and Brackets. I've heard about these types of threads during past seasons but I've never seen Huskies fans in this type of discussion before so I just want to make sure I'm in the right place.

Sorry for the Noob questions,
            Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Hi - I'm a Michigan Tech fan. I see this thread relates to the MacNaughton Cup, WCHA Playoffs, NCAA Seedings and Brackets. I've heard about these types of threads during past seasons but I've never seen Huskies fans in this type of discussion before so I just want to make sure I'm in the right place.

Sorry for the Noob questions,
              Ryan J
              These are solid questions, and as far as I know, some of these things (the McNaughton, the second round of the NCAA tournament) are like the Loch Ness Monster, or Sasquatch - rumored, but never actually seen. With that said, Sasquatch was at the Tech-MSU game Saturday, so maybe this year these things do exist!

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                These are solid questions, and as far as I know, some of these things (the McNaughton, the second round of the NCAA tournament) are like the Loch Ness Monster, or Sasquatch - rumored, but never actually seen. With that said, Sasquatch was at the Tech-MSU game Saturday, so maybe this year these things do exist!
                Was he walking around without a shirt? And with a beer gut?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Was he walking around without a shirt? And with a beer gut?
                  That was a cousin. Not sure what his name was, but I gather that it started with an "I". That guy did entertain our goalie.

Comment

That was a cousin. Not sure what his name was, but I gather that it started with an "I". That guy did entertain our goalie.
                    While the famous Shirtless Guy was in attendance... he was not the "I". That is a current Misfits member who I'm not sure is on here.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I too consider myself a newbie to this thread, although I did have some idea of WCHA playoffs. but now I am really puzzled. what is this NCAA Tournament thing? and all this pairwise talk. what does that mean? and how does that relate to Michigan Tech?
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

With that said, Sasquatch was at the Tech-MSU game Saturday, so maybe this year these things do exist!
                        True Story. https://***********/PCphoto/status/571832603088560128
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                          I too consider myself a newbie to this thread, although I did have some idea of WCHA playoffs. but now I am really puzzled. what is this NCAA Tournament thing? and all this pairwise talk. what does that mean? and how does that relate to Michigan Tech?
                          Pair wise is part of an old english proverb invented by someone from North Dakota, or maybe it's Wisconsin. Pair wise and pound foolish. I think it has to do with money.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                            Man this is going to be a long week......

At least BSU has the tie breakers on Ferris and Northern for fourth, so that guarantees that Ferris will be on the road for the playoffs.
                            according to Kevin Gordon, the WCHA, and BGSU Athletic Communications...there is a scenario where Ferris stays home. longshot that it is.

"Seeded #4 with two wins, two losses for Bemidji State, and one point or less for Northern Michigan."

http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/03/wc...s-tiebreakers/

incorrect?
                            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                              according to Kevin Gordon, the WCHA, and BGSU Athletic Communications...there is a scenario where Ferris stays home. longshot that it is.

"Seeded #4 with two wins, two losses for Bemidji State, and one point or less for Northern Michigan."

http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/03/wc...s-tiebreakers/

incorrect?
                              I would say yes, incorrect. BSU has the head to head tiebreaker, I believe, on Ferris with a 1-0-1 record on them. Unless there is something I am missing with a two game season series versus a four game season series......

Dang, I now see that since they only played two games, the tie breaker jumps past head to head and to conference wins. That is crap........
                              Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 03-04-2015, 09:49 AM.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                              X