Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston Hotel Rooms

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    Being from the area just west of Woburn I feel qualified to give some advice to those coming in from Woburn. Drive to the Sullivan Square T stop just off I-93 only 2 stops from North Station. You avoid the last mile traffic and hassle of parking near the game. Parking is much cheaper even adding in the subway costs for multiple people. Travel time by T is less than 10 minutes and takes you directly to the Garden. Friday and Saturday nights the T runs very late until about 2:30 in the morning. Thursday is only until about 1:00 but you are close enough for a short cab ride. Once out you just get back on I-93 for the short ride back to Woburn.
    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    With regards to getting a cab to take you back to a hotel, if this is what you must do, I think it would be much easier to get one outside the Garden than it was in Philly. The Garden is in the city and there are numerous bars all within walking distance so there will be cabs all around. Or you could walk to a major hotel and pick up a cab there.

My thoughts on driving to Sullivan - Saturday it should be OK but Thursday is a regular work day and lots may be full. I commute on the Orange line to work every day and Sullivan is by far the most crowded station. With all the snow, there are fewer spots...could be dicey.

There are a few hotels close to Lechmere that would be a good idea. There's a Holiday Inn, a Hampton Inn and a new Fairfield Inn all within walking distance of the Lechmere T stop, and if the weather is nice, you actually could walk to the Garden. And it would be a pretty cheap cab ride to and from.
    Thanks for the info and advice...

Comment

Last edited by MN Magic; 04-02-2015, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MN Magic View Post
        Does anyone know what time the last train leaves North Station on the D Green Line heading west back to Riverside Station? Thanks in advance
        Schedule
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          Note that the D does not routinely serve North Station, but instead originates (and terminates) at Park Street. It just means you have to change to a D at Park, but be advised not to let other trains pass while waiting for a D at North Station, particularly if you are in the last train of the night timeframe.

Comment

Last edited by MN Magic; 04-02-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

This will be my 3rd FF in Boston and 4th trip there overall. For me and my friends, you just can't beat staying downtown. Unless walking is an issue, there are very few places you can't get o on foot. I know the hotels are expensive, but in 4 trips to Boston My friends and I have spent virtually nothing on transportation.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                Being from the area just west of Woburn I feel qualified to give some advice to those coming in from Woburn. Drive to the Sullivan Square T stop just off I-93 only 2 stops from North Station. You avoid the last mile traffic and hassle of parking near the game. Parking is much cheaper even adding in the subway costs for multiple people. Travel time by T is less than 10 minutes and takes you directly to the Garden. Friday and Saturday nights the T runs very late until about 2:30 in the morning. Thursday is only until about 1:00 but you are close enough for a short cab ride. Once out you just get back on I-93 for the short ride back to Woburn.
                Better off going to the much bigger lot at Wellington in Medford.

Comment

Last edited by MN Magic; 04-02-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

My advice:

(1) Go to priceline.com
                    (2) Select the "Name your own price option"
                    (3) Input the relevant dates that you wish to stay in the city
                    (4) Based on the numbered locations-- the TD Garden is directly between (1) Beacon Hill and (5) Cambridge East - Charlestown, but you cannot go wrong with (2) Boston Common - Theater District and (8) Downtown Boston - Harbor Front. If you're really interested the Seaport (section 15) has a relatively new hotels, e.g., the Seaport, and a bunch of new restaurants that are really popular with the 20s and 30s crowd, but it would be an absolute hike to walk to the Garden. You could always take the Silver Line to the courthouse and walk from there.
                    (5) After selecting the locations you're willing to stay, you can select the number of stars a hotel is based on -- this allows you to ensure that you if you bid $50, it will get rejected instead of staying in a flea bag motel.

I would suggest starting at $150 / night (I saw a flier and $319 / night at the Omni is LUDICROUS).

I live right outside the city, so if anybody wants hotel feedback, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by MN Magic View Post
                      Staying downtown or staying outside of Boston came down to money for us. We were able to get a four star hotel thru priceline for $80/night ($40/night with two guys). The cheapest rooms at the time were $250/night downtown. If we had they wives and kids we probably would have bit the bullet and stayed downtown. But a short walk to a train station and a two dollar train fee seemed like the right choice for us
                      I booked a room in Woburn for $103 US/night for 3 nights last June (3-star hotel, nothing fancy, but not a dump). When I'm charged in Canadian dollars on my credit card I'll end up paying about $120-$130/night. It makes no sense for me to pay $200-$300 US/night to stay closer to the downtown area as I'll save a lot of money, even if I pay $30-$40/day to park and take the train into Boston. This is money I can spend elsewhere in the city. I've also seen that the hotels "downtown" charge a lot for parking - pushing the hotel cost up even further. I can afford to stay closer, but since I'm willing and able to use public transit I'd rather use the money I'll save on lodging for something else. I did it (stayed outside the city-centre area) in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and still had a great time.

Comment

Maybe it’s because I’m used to it, but I think the horror of Boston driving is a bit overdone. It’s not pleasant, and parking is expensive, but I can’t imagine the stress of watching a game with one eye on the game and one eye on my watch. One nice thing about the Garden’s location is that there’s a lot to do within walking distance of the Garden, so you can park several hours before the game. For example, there’s a parking garage that’s about equidistant from the Garden and Quincy Market, and walkable to both. Drive in early (but not during commuter hours, say around 10:00), scout out the area around the Garden, and find a parking garage that’s convenient to your way home, and enjoy the day. Saturday should be much easier than Thursday, because it’s not a work day.

Hoover would be looking for Route 93 North and MN Magic would be looking for Storrow Drive west, not quite as easy as 93 North, but not that far either. If you have a good map or a Nav system, it’s very doable IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
                          I booked a room in Woburn for $103 US/night for 3 nights last June (3-star hotel, nothing fancy, but not a dump). When I'm charged in Canadian dollars on my credit card I'll end up paying about $120-$130/night. It makes no sense for me to pay $200-$300 US/night to stay closer to the downtown area as I'll save a lot of money, even if I pay $30-$40/day to park and take the train into Boston. This is money I can spend elsewhere in the city. I've also seen that the hotels "downtown" charge a lot for parking - pushing the hotel cost up even further. I can afford to stay closer, but since I'm willing and able to use public transit I'd rather use the money I'll save on lodging for something else. I did it (stayed outside the city-centre area) in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and still had a great time.
                          Are you driving down from Ontario? If so, this makes sense. If someone's flying and renting a care, then everything they're saving is going into the rental.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                            Are you driving down from Ontario? If so, this makes sense. If someone's flying and renting a care, then everything they're saving is going into the rental.
                            Yes, we're driving.

Comment

Bump

Comment

I would even park at the Boston Common and walk over to the Garden...even if it is nightime, you aren't going to have issues on the street.
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X