PDA

View Full Version : UAA: Patiently Waiting For Next Season, Every Season...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33

Seawolf Fan
02-25-2016, 01:57 PM
The final Coaches Corner of the season will be this evening, Thursday, 6 P.M. at the Varsity Sports Grill in the Alaska Airlines Center.
Joining Voice of the Seawolves David Tuttle and Coach Matt Thomas will be senior team Captain Austin Sevalrud.
Among the door prizes will be a game worn #17 Jordan Kwas jersey.
There is a basketball game this evening so be sure to get your table reservations in now. Phone 786-7835 or www.OpenTable.com
See you there.
It's a great day to be a Seawolf!

Squarebanks
02-25-2016, 02:37 PM
It's terribly sad. Only 1400 fans there, an all time low. I watched much of the UAF game and the Carlson is pretty empty as well. From what I have seen watching WCHA TV, there are quite a few teams who are struggling with attendance. Last Friday Northern Michigan was just as empty as the Sully. Sad.

I was at the Friday UAF/BG game and the Carlson attendance was announced as 2400 and change. At this point I'm about ready to flip the bird to FNSB and their outlandish rental fees at the Carlson and move to the Patty. Spend the money you'd save at the Carlson on some new seats and work on a longer-term PPP plan to build it out to 2000-2500 seats, pack it full every night and call it good.

I went to the UAA/WOU basketball game last week. Western Oregon, as you may recall, has (or had) the #1 team in division 2, and the AAC downright sparse for a game of that magnitude. I was surprised. I don't necessarily agree that having GCI go all in on UAA is hurting your attendance, but I was honestly expecting a bigger and more involved crowd.

Hal9K
02-25-2016, 03:30 PM
GCI is in no way responsible for Seawolves attendance woes. People just aren't going to pay the ticket prices asked for what they receive in return. Period

Suze
02-25-2016, 03:35 PM
GCI is in no way responsible for Seawolves attendance woes. People just aren't going to pay the ticket prices asked for what they receive in return. Period

Fans can get in for $10 Hal9K. Aces have had 2500-5000 fans and they didn't make the playoffs last season and are in last place this season. The attendance numbers have dropped significantly from last season, and live TV is the only difference. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. In fact, a long time hockey fan told me they were thrilled when they heard UAA's games were on TV live.

Squarebanks
02-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Fans can get in for $10 Hal9K. Aces have had 2500-5000 fans and they didn't make the playoffs last season and are in last place this season. The attendance numbers have dropped significantly from last season, and live TV is the only difference. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. In fact, a long time hockey fan told me they were thrilled when they heard UAA's games were on TV live.

Honestly, the Aces draw more because it's a perceived better product with a definitely better production. Unless you're a diehard Seawolf/NCAA fan, UAA's hockey games are pretty dull compared to the Aces. Also, the Aces have marketing down to a science. They know exactly what their core target is and pander endlessly to it. Boomer from Prudhoe Bay? Give me a break.

Suze
02-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Honestly, the Aces draw more because it's a perceived better product with a definitely better production. Unless you're a diehard Seawolf/NCAA fan, UAA's hockey games are pretty dull compared to the Aces. Also, the Aces have marketing down to a science. They know exactly what their core target is and pander endlessly to it. Boomer from Prudhoe Bay? Give me a break.

You are right in that the Aces owners are very savvy. Heck, they wouldn't even put their playoff games on TV unless the arena was sold out ... Which it wasn't. They get it. If their games were on TV live, you better bet your bottom dollar it would affect the bottom line!

Jimjamesak
02-25-2016, 07:52 PM
You are right in that the Aces owners are very savvy. Heck, they wouldn't even put their playoff games on TV unless the arena was sold out ... Which it wasn't. They get it. If their games were on TV live, you better bet your bottom dollar it would affect the bottom line!
No, flat out he's right, the Aces present themselves as a better product for hockey. GCI isn't affecting attendance very much. Lack of marketing and years of boring gameday experience (which has gotten better in spite of Donald's whining) have killed attendance.

Hal9K
02-26-2016, 12:00 AM
Bottom line it's the product. I'm not coming on the board here to berate or criticize our team, but bottom line, the play is inconsistent, slow, and the scoring is at a minimum.
Try and sign the average fan up for that even at $10...good luck.

Seawolf Fan
02-26-2016, 12:12 AM
And on a brighter note even at $300m there will be a Seawolf hockey program next year.

Jimjamesak
02-26-2016, 12:17 AM
Bottom line it's the product. I'm not coming on the board here to berate or criticize our team, but bottom line, the play is inconsistent, slow, and the scoring is at a minimum.
Try and sign the average fan up for that even at $10...good luck.
And that's a good discussion to have as a conference too. Attendance is tanking everywhere and the boring, low scoring, clutch and hold style of play is a big factor.

The Zlax45
02-26-2016, 01:21 AM
And that's a good discussion to have as a conference too. Attendance is tanking everywhere and the boring, low scoring, clutch and hold style of play is a big factor.

I am a Providence supporter...defending national champs and it is terrible hockey now with the defensive style which is present out here

John J. MacInnes
02-26-2016, 02:04 PM

Lots of numbers out there show the exact opposite of what people perceive in regards to attendance being affected by live TV availability.

Live TV games actually increase the exposure to fans to see what the arena experience is like, and serve as a marketing tool themselves if done correctly. "Hey, that looks like fun, let's go to a game and see for ourselves" can be achieved - IF your product in the building is compelling enough to make it appealing. Michigan Tech found this out when their games with NMU were televised live locally - the attendance figures have actually risen since the TV contract was signed. Granted the Huskies are much better in the performance department now - but how do you show the casual fan that unless they're either in the building or watching on TV?

Case in point - the NFL was the most protective of "the gate" with their 75 mile blackout ring for live TV coverage. That policy is now gone, and attendance is slightly higher than when it was in place. If the #1 league for per-game attendance numbers doesn't consider it a threat, why should anyone? (And yes, I realize they have lots of other revenue streams, but look at the message.)

Seawolf Fan
02-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Last evenings Coaches Corner had a real good turnout. It was a lively entertaining show.
Some of the people attending were 4 sets of players parents that I knew and also there were a couple of freshman parents that I don't know.
Senior captain Austin Sevalrud was entertaining, letting us in on some of the inside info on several other players. Coach was his usual upbeat, full of energy, realistic self.
Voice of the Seawolves David Tuttle held the program together. As an aside David has a very cute and charming little daughter who was there with her Mother.
Everyone had a great time.
It's a great day to be a Seawolf!

AKSWF
02-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Lots of numbers out there show the exact opposite of what people perceive in regards to attendance being affected by live TV availability.

Live TV games actually increase the exposure to fans to see what the arena experience is like, and serve as a marketing tool themselves if done correctly. "Hey, that looks like fun, let's go to a game and see for ourselves" can be achieved - IF your product in the building is compelling enough to make it appealing. Michigan Tech found this out when their games with NMU were televised live locally - the attendance figures have actually risen since the TV contract was signed. Granted the Huskies are much better in the performance department now - but how do you show the casual fan that unless they're either in the building or watching on TV?

That only comes with a winning team or at least a sub .500 performance, and a near full arena on the screen. After our first winning season in forever, our attendance went down.

AKSWF
02-26-2016, 04:10 PM
I went to the UAA/WOU basketball game last week. Western Oregon, as you may recall, has (or had) the #1 team in division 2, and the AAC downright sparse for a game of that magnitude. I was surprised. I don't necessarily agree that having GCI go all in on UAA is hurting your attendance, but I was honestly expecting a bigger and more involved crowd.

Even though the men draw more, the women play much better 31-1 GNAC Champs! I personally after years of seeing both, I only watch the women now. The men like our hockey team leaves me scratching my head the way they play. The women play a much more intense/attacking style, plus they don't draw well so I feel bad for them.

Squarebanks
02-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Even though the men draw more, the women play much better 31-1 GNAC Champs! I personally after years of seeing both, I only watch the women now. The men like our hockey team leaves me scratching my head the way they play. The women play a much more intense/attacking style, plus they don't draw well so I feel bad for them.

Plus your women aren't coached by Rusty Osborne. :D

Jimjamesak
02-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Actually, AFAIK the Women draw more.

Suze
02-26-2016, 05:26 PM
That only comes with a winning team or at least a sub .500 performance, and a near full arena on the screen. After our first winning season in forever, our attendance went down.

And Anchorage doesn't have the population base like Minneapolis or other NHL based cities either.

AKSWF
02-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Actually, AFAIK the Women draw more.

Looking over the last three home games for both, yes it does appear the Women draw more. I would dig deeper work beckons.....plus GNAC doesn't appear to keep track of attendance? Lazy Friday for me

mmf
02-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Looking over the last three home games for both, yes it does appear the Women draw more. I would dig deeper work beckons.....plus GNAC doesn't appear to keep track of attendance? Lazy Friday for me

I was slowing putting together some information for some future snarky post about the Alaska Airlines Center and attendance :), but with the budget discussions I have kinda of lost interest. :( But based on conference games only (the GNAC box scores does show attendance), I come up with these averages (not double-checked).
Mens Bball = 1,038
Womens Bball = 984
VBall = 1,541