Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014-15 Season Thread Part II: It Ain't over!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014-15 Season Thread Part II: It Ain't over!!

I heard him, but from my seats in section 8 (directly behing the anthem singer), I couldn't see him, nor would I have been able to recognize him at that distance.

There are several "elders", as you call them, who hang around the VC room as though it is their personal clubhouse. I am not one of them, but I do recognize that they have done more over the years to support NU athletics than you can imagine. I can't say whether or not they "get it", but in many ways they are not satisfied with the status quo. In a few cases I can say theat they are resigned to it, but others would love to see a major overhaul.

From your post, I have been led to believe that you are not a member the "Friends of Hockey". You would know that a donation is not required. We ask for a nominal membership fee of $40 IIRC. There are "gentlemen" of all ages, including students who pay a reduced memberships fee, as well as a number of "ladies". The members were not content with Bruce Crowder. He was a pleasant fellow, but the results were disappointing and we needed a much tougher guy and stronger recruiter.

If you are an enthusiastic NU hockey fan, why don't you become a member. There is a Year End awards dinner coming up (usually in early April) and the FOH annual meeting with the coan in June, I can promise that you will be much better informed. Go to the bottom of the GONU.com hockey page for a link to the FOH.

As for the basketball team, you can count on two things. They (the "braintrust") will find a way to screw it up and Roby will be there. If you post or lurk on Diehard Dogs, you already know how the folks there view the status quo and how they feel about the "Hockey Assassin"
    Last edited by HHound; 03-03-2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
      Was it that you didn't see this person and just heard him? Otherwise, you'd know exactly who he is. Regardless.... was it unfortunate for the anthem singer? Probably.. Was is inappropriate and classless? No. Was it absolutely warranted? YES! ROBY MUST GO!

The only people that don't seem to get it are the elders in the Varsity Club who are content with the status quo. I know who they are. Obviously you know who they are too. The Friends group, although seemingly open to anyone who makes a donation, seems to be made up of a clique of elderly gentlemen and some former players who don't seem to be too concerned with what has been happening on Huntington Ave since Cronin left. Frankly, they were probably content with Bruce Crowder's record too. I can count on 1 hand the number of older people who hang at the Varsity Club who are willing to even acknowledge the younger fan base. Those that have reached out are great, the others....ehh. I would urge anyone to stop donating to the program until Roby is gone, and you all better hope our Basketball team doesn't win the Colonial and make the NCAA tournament, that would be disastrous for the hockey program.
      What makes the younger crowd correct, and that is the crowd that I would fall into. You want to stop supporting the program until Roby is gone, see that hurts the program.
      The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Becky,
        You must understand that the Hockey Assassin is an equal opportunity assassin. He treats the women's program with a disdain, that is similar to the way he regards the men's (at least, under Cronin). Don"t let him douse your fire. He won't be here forever!

What excuse/reason did he give for keeping you home? Split-N and I were commenting on Saturday about how much better your band sounded than it had in recent years.. Keep it up. See you Friday night.
        Last edited by HHound; 03-03-2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

So, uhhh...playoffs?
          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
            So, uhhh...playoffs?
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE#t=15
            Last edited by Huskies of NU; 03-04-2015, 08:16 AM.

Comment

So, uhhh...playoffs?
              Woohoo! We win the series and we probably go to BC right?

Comment

Originally posted by itisibecky View Post
                Woohoo! We win the series and we probably go to BC right?
                That place is a house of horrors for us. Good news is the games will likely be on TV. If Notre Dame loses, and we win our series does that mean we go to Lowell instead?
                Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

That place is a house of horrors for us. Good news is the games will likely be on TV. If Notre Dame loses, and we win our series does that mean we go to Lowell instead?
                  That's correct.

I think the televised series will be the bu series though. I know they were advertising a 4 PM start for Sat the 14th (similar to our times this weekend) at Agganis last Friday.

Comment

IIRC, HEA reseeds after each round. If ND loses and we win, we would become the fifth seed and play the fourth seed UML. I'd prefer that, as BC is a much better defensive team that UML starting in the goal.

Comment

Agreed. GO U-MAAAAASSS!! As Mrs. Bishko used to say....wonder if she's still around...
                      Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Agreed. GO U-MAAAAASSS!! As Mrs. Bishko used to say....wonder if she's still around...
                        ..the woman was possessed.. (God bless her.. either way).
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        Always bullish on the future.
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                          IIRC, HEA reseeds after each round. If ND loses and we win, we would become the fifth seed and play the fourth seed UML. I'd prefer that, as BC is a much better defensive team that UML starting in the goal.
                          Peter Chiarelli has a better chance to win Executive of the Year than UMass has to win a series at Notre Dame. As for BC, they're certainly more beatable than in recent years, despite a ridiculous amount of blue line talent. They have 4 future NHL d-men, we might have 1 future AHL defenseman. That being said, we'we played 3 very close games with them this year, I'd expect a really good series.
                          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Is it me, or have a number of our top scorers flown under the radar this season? Dalen Hedges with 34 points, getting much less pub than Szmatula who has "just" 28 points. Personally Szmat's low total surprises me, but may help us in the long run as he may want to return for one more year to up his stock for the pros. the much maligned Benning has 22 assists, tied for 5th among defensemen in the nation. Kevin Roy gets so much attention, and rightly so, but I feel the other scorers on the team deserve their due as well.
                            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• I'm just wishing they play as a team again tomorrow. Take care of business & get back to the habits that got them the wins over quality opponents. Practice those habits.. stick with them. Bounce back from mistakes & it won't matter who we play the following week. Just come out of this wknd with good habits.. goalie included.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Is it me, or have a number of our top scorers flown under the radar this season? Dalen Hedges with 34 points, getting much less pub than Szmatula who has "just" 28 points. Personally Szmat's low total surprises me, but may help us in the long run as he may want to return for one more year to up his stock for the pros. the much maligned Benning has 22 assists, tied for 5th among defensemen in the nation. Kevin Roy gets so much attention, and rightly so, but I feel the other scorers on the team deserve their due as well.
                                The fact that they haven't gotten more publicity doesn't mean much at gametime. The opposing coaches and players know who they are. Possible reason for Szmats lower production might be the fact that his line has been matched up with other teams' top lines (see bu in the past three games). Those annoying checking duties tend to interfere with their offensive instincts. Szmatula does so much for the team that he may qualify as the teams "unsung Hero" this year. I was a bit surprised that he diedn't make SB Nations's list of the top 100 pro prospects currently playing college hockey. Roy was our only rep at at # 25. Rankings isn't what wins games. Good players playing well together does!
                                Last edited by HHound; 03-05-2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X