Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
    Tigers play the winner of 6 vs. 11. Bentley plays Merceyhurst at Bentley
    This assumes that HC beats Niagara right? If Niagara wins then Romo would get the lowest seed. After next weekend the lowest seed gets Romo, the next lowest Canisius and the highest remaining seed would get RIT.
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS - Roaring into the postseason <<<<<

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
      This assumes that HC beats Niagara right? If Niagara wins then Romo would get the lowest seed. After next weekend the lowest seed gets Romo, the next lowest Canisius and the highest remaining seed would get RIT.
      Yes. We could also play Air Force or the Army/AIC winner. Don't think Mercyhurst is complaining about going to Bentley instead of coming back here in a couple of weeks, either. Personally, I feel like I'd rather have seen Mercyhurst than either Holy Cross or Air Force, but the 3 seed and home ice is certainly nice to have. And they are playing exceptional hockey right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
        My question is, is RIT really in third or fourth and will RIT play Mercyhurst?
        Technically, RIT and Bentley finish tied for third. RIT gets third seed in the playoffs on the third tie-breaker, which is head-to-head goal differential (6-4).

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          RIT is definitely picking the right time of year to peak. It's very encouraging to see that even on a night when the MGM line is held scoreless and the other team's goalie stands on his head, the team is able to win thanks to stellar defense and strong goaltending.
          I wonder how much of that is confidence with the goal that was disallowed. Mercyhurst had an interesting strategy for defending the MGM line in game 2 - play it like a power play for RIT. I hope that Coach can figure out a way to attack that defense.

Rotolo and the defense have been playing very well lately. They will be even more of a key come the playoff games. Here's hoping all 3 series go 3 games so they are extra tired.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

It is now, doh!
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Can someone please explain to me why a school with 18,000 students and a city metropolitan area with 1.1 million can't sell out at senior night? We have a beautiful new arena and a winning team.

Does rit not advertise?
              R I T HOCKEY
              Frozen Four
              Elite Eight
              NCAA Tournament
              2010-2015-2016
              RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                Can someone please explain to me why a school with 18,000 students and a city metropolitan area with 1.1 million can't sell out at senior night? We have a beautiful new arena and a winning team.

Does rit not advertise?
                On TV it still looked like a pretty good crowd, student sections looked full so you have to give RIT that, the students showed up for their team.
                RPI Engineers
                RIT Tigers
                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

On TV it still looked like a pretty good crowd, student sections looked full so you have to give RIT that, the students showed up for their team.

And that's why it won't sell out. There are those who won't get dressed and drive over, walk to the rink from one of the lots and pay to see a game the can see on TV for free and in the comfort of their home It's not like football where you can tail gate, get rip roaring drunk and then go catch a game sad to say.
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

And that's why it won't sell out. There are those who won't get dressed and drive over, walk to the rink from one of the lots and pay to see a game the can see on TV for free and in the comfort of their home It's not like football where you can tail gate, get rip roaring drunk and then go catch a game sad to say.
                    And it's not like RIT's target student is a sports fan, let alone a hockey fan.

Comment

Although I'm a little surprised we didn't have a single sell out (especially on opening night) I don't think we can complain about attendance this season. Every game was at least hundreds more people than Ritter can hold and for the second half of the season we were above 3,000 every night, I think.

The team was bad last year so people weren't overly excited about the season, which is why attendance has improved as we've gone on. I'm sure playoff attendance will also be pretty high.

But it's all about building the base. A few successful years and some more buzz around the program and these problems will solve themselves. A move to the ECAC with games against more noteworthy programs will help too.
                      Last edited by RIT Winters; 03-01-2015, 07:40 PM.
                      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                        Although I'm a little surprised we didn't have a single sell out (especially on opening night) I don't think we can complain about attendance this season. Every game was at least hundreds more people than Ritter can hold and for the second half of the season we were above 3,000 every night, I think.

The team was bad last year so people we're overly excited about the season, which is why attendance has improved as we've gone on. I'm sure playoff attendance will also be pretty high.

But it's all about building the base. A few successful years and some more buzz around the program and these problems will solve themselves. A move to the ECAC with games against more noteworthy programs will help too.
                        Spot on. It's also true that most students at RIT are not hockey fans but most of the students who do attend the games were probably not hard core hockey fans before they came to RIT either. The college hockey experience that RIT offers their students is what has drawn the majority of RIT students to the GPC. Keep building the base and attendance will continue to grow.
                        RPI Engineers
                        RIT Tigers
                        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

You kind of need TV to generate the buzz about the program. Showing RIT winning more games is likely to induce people to come up and buy a ticket when they can. But I also think RIT is in a good spot with their attendance. It was shown that RIT needed the more room, and there is more room to grow for getting a really big game.

I don't know if a move to ECAC would generate that much more attendance. College hockey fans might recognize the team names coming in, but would the casual fan? Would games against Brown be better attended than games against Sacred Heart, for example? Let's not forget that a move to ECAC would likely mean at least short term a worse winning percentage, which to me could nullify the gains of better teams.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            You kind of need TV to generate the buzz about the program. Showing RIT winning more games is likely to induce people to come up and buy a ticket when they can. But I also think RIT is in a good spot with their attendance. It was shown that RIT needed the more room, and there is more room to grow for getting a really big game.

I don't know if a move to ECAC would generate that much more attendance. College hockey fans might recognize the team names coming in, but would the casual fan? Would games against Brown be better attended than games against Sacred Heart, for example? Let's not forget that a move to ECAC would likely mean at least short term a worse winning percentage, which to me could nullify the gains of better teams.
                            I think so, yes. Name recognition is important. Does a casual fan really want to come see RIT play American International? Or Bentley? These are schools a lot of people have never even heard of. But if RPI or Cornell or Harvard are in town..people know those names and know they have rich histories.

Additionally, hockey fans in the community will be more drawn in because these bigger name teams actually have drafted players on their rosters, so there is a draw to see (potential) future pro players playing rather than a bunch of guys you've never heard of on Mercyhurst.
                            RIT

Comment

Originally posted by kwh7433 View Post
                              Brutally true statement....

Tigers play the winner of 6 vs. 11. Bentley plays Merceyhurst at Bentley
                              Teams are reseeded after the quarter finally. Most probably Holy Cross or Air Force...

One last note, the referee who waived off the goal last night, despite video evidence that seemed to suggest his call was wrong, was also part of a crew at Niagara this year that refused an RIT request to review a goal. Here is to hoping we don't see him again this year...
                              Last edited by Tom Naeger; 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM.
                              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule
                              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by kwh7433 View Post
                                Honestly? I never watched a game of hockey before RIT. The combination of my roomie freshman year being a die hard sabres fan, hanging out with some lady hockey players, and RITs success made me into a big fan. Now I play 2-3x a week and catch as many Avs games I can on top of streaming RIT games on the weekends.

That being said, definitely a niche market and I know it won't resonate with everyone. If RIT could push the tail gate engironment it may being in some bigger crowds.
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X