Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS - Roaring into the postseason <<<<<

Originally posted by Chris Lerch View Post
    Agreed. I watch all kinds of hockey, from High School to the NHL and AHL is the most boring to me. ECHL games are more exciting because most of these guys know this is the highest level they are going to play, and they want to win. AHL used to be that way with veterans who wanted to win a Calder Cup. Now AHL teams are stocked with guys who will not be around long one way or another and organizations that don't focus on winning at that level.
    In my humble opinion, having watched the Amerks at their inception (when they essentially put the nail in the coffin of the Royals), the college game is far superior, played with greater intensity and fan involvement.
    Moreover. like many followers of the college game, I have no interest in goon tactics. Having watched SLU since 1961 I have only seen a few tussles - most notably this year's end of the game melee at Lynah
    SLU65

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
      A big congratulations to Matt Garbowsky. He's getting some well-deserved recognition for a great season.

I'm surprised by Wydo being on the list, though. As much as I like seeing 2 AHC players in the 10 finalists, it just doesn't make much sense to me. His stats aren't particularly impressive... He had a better year last year and wasn't included then (and wasn't even strongly considered). I guess Robert Morris's record and ranking this year has something to do with it... But Wydo didn't play well against the better OOC teams. He had 1 goal and 3 assist in 6 OOC games, with only 1 point coming in the 4 games against ranked OOC opponents. Of course, there's more to a player than points scored, but Wydo wasn't even a unanimous pick for 1st team all-AHC. That means the AHC coaches couldn't agree on whether or not Wydo is a top 3 forward in AHC, but he's a top 10 player in all of D-I? It just seems like an odd addition to the finalists list. That all being said, he has been a fantastic player over the past 4 years and I wish him all the best (now that he's graduating).
      I think Wydo was on everyone's minds from last year when he was snubbed as an entry. I think everyone assumed he would be the Atlantic Hockey finalist. Garbo basically forced his way on with the amazing season he had.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
        I think Wydo was on everyone's minds from last year when he was snubbed as an entry. I think everyone assumed he would be the Atlantic Hockey finalist. Garbo basically forced his way on with the amazing season he had.
        Agreed as it seems like that is the only explanation. Even the article announcing him seemed surprised

"Wydo is the only one of the seven forwards on the list that isn’t among the top 10 in scoring. He’s tied for 19th with 41 points and tied for 18th with 19 goals.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2015/03/19/seven-forwards-among-10-finalists-for-2015-hobey-baker-award/#ixzz3Urjglseh"

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          First we gotta see if Chris Lerch picks Canisius.

Powers &8^]
          Here you go:

Atlantic Hockey Playoffs – Semifinals
          Friday, March 20

No. 5 Mercyhurst vs. No. 1 Robert Morris
          Dan: Prior to the season, I floated this game as a possibility for Saturday in the league championship, with the Lakers winning it all this year.
          But the Colonials are a team on a mission, and I don’t think Mercyhurst is going to be able to come back again if they go down two goals here. RMU advances.

Chris: The Lakers showed a lot of resiliency after a rough end to the regular season and being down late in their third and deciding game at Bentley last weekend.
          They’re a dangerous team and will be hard to put away. But Robert Morris is the best team in the league and has proved that over the last 22 weeks.
          The best team doesn’t always win, but it gets my pick. Robert Morris wins.

No. 3 Rochester Institute of Technology vs. No. 2 Canisius
          Dan: I could give you hockey analysis here, or I could just tell you my gut feeling. It’s taken the Tigers three years to get back to Blue Cross Arena for a postseason game,
          and with the hometown crowd in their corner, I believe in RIT. Canisius is a very good team, a former champion, and a team that’s proven time and time again that they
          know how to win. But I’m picking the orange and black. RIT wins.

Chris: RIT fans love it when I pick against the Tigers, because I’m often wrong (although I picked 63% of games correctly this season). This is a classic matchup between
          Canisius’ defense and RIT’s offense and Canisius’ power play vs. RIT’s penalty kill. In the end I think it will come down to goaltending and here the Golden Griffins have the edge.
          So be happy, Tiger fans because I’m going with the higher seed. Canisius wins.

Atlantic Hockey Playoffs – Finals
          Saturday, March 21
          ? vs. ?
          Dan: The defending champions go for two in a row against the team that calls Brick City home.
          In a one-game series, throw the tale of the tape out the window; this one’s going to be fun.
          But I’m picking Robert Morris for a second straight year to win it all after watching them lead the conference tape-to-tape and prove deserving of national recognition.
          No glass slipper needed this year. RMU wins.

Chris: It’s hard to pick against a team that has been building to this all year. Anything less than a title will seem like a failure to Robert Morris, and I think the Colonials will handle
          the pressure and get the job done. Robert Morris wins against either Canisius or RIT.

Not sure how Chris can pick Canisius to win the Friday game but put RIT back into the Saturday game?

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/atlantic-hockey...#ixzz3UrsfJX2u
          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
            Of course, there's more to a player than points scored, but Wydo wasn't even a unanimous pick for 1st team all-AHC. That means the AHC coaches couldn't agree on whether or not Wydo is a top 3 forward in AHC, but he's a top 10 player in all of D-I?
            Technically, the criteria are different.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
              Here you go:

Atlantic Hockey Playoffs – Semifinals
              Friday, March 20

No. 5 Mercyhurst vs. No. 1 Robert Morris
              Dan: Prior to the season, I floated this game as a possibility for Saturday in the league championship, with the Lakers winning it all this year.
              But the Colonials are a team on a mission, and I don’t think Mercyhurst is going to be able to come back again if they go down two goals here. RMU advances.

Chris: The Lakers showed a lot of resiliency after a rough end to the regular season and being down late in their third and deciding game at Bentley last weekend.
              They’re a dangerous team and will be hard to put away. But Robert Morris is the best team in the league and has proved that over the last 22 weeks.
              The best team doesn’t always win, but it gets my pick. Robert Morris wins.

No. 3 Rochester Institute of Technology vs. No. 2 Canisius
              Dan: I could give you hockey analysis here, or I could just tell you my gut feeling. It’s taken the Tigers three years to get back to Blue Cross Arena for a postseason game,
              and with the hometown crowd in their corner, I believe in RIT. Canisius is a very good team, a former champion, and a team that’s proven time and time again that they
              know how to win. But I’m picking the orange and black. RIT wins.

Chris: RIT fans love it when I pick against the Tigers, because I’m often wrong (although I picked 63% of games correctly this season). This is a classic matchup between
              Canisius’ defense and RIT’s offense and Canisius’ power play vs. RIT’s penalty kill. In the end I think it will come down to goaltending and here the Golden Griffins have the edge.
              So be happy, Tiger fans because I’m going with the higher seed. Canisius wins.

Atlantic Hockey Playoffs – Finals
              Saturday, March 21
              ? vs. ?
              Dan: The defending champions go for two in a row against the team that calls Brick City home.
              In a one-game series, throw the tale of the tape out the window; this one’s going to be fun.
              But I’m picking Robert Morris for a second straight year to win it all after watching them lead the conference tape-to-tape and prove deserving of national recognition.
              No glass slipper needed this year. RMU wins.

Chris: It’s hard to pick against a team that has been building to this all year. Anything less than a title will seem like a failure to Robert Morris, and I think the Colonials will handle
              the pressure and get the job done. Robert Morris wins against either Canisius or RIT.

Not sure how Chris can pick Canisius to win the Friday game but put RIT back into the Saturday game?

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/atlantic-hockey...#ixzz3UrsfJX2u
              RIT 4 Canisius 1
              Mercyhurst 5 RMU 4 in OT

RIT 3 Mercyhurst 2 in final

Comment

Originally posted by unscarred76 View Post
                RIT 4 Canisius 1
                Mercyhurst 5 RMU 4 in OT

RIT 3 Mercyhurst 2 in final
                That's my dream scenario.

Powers &8^]

Comment

As long as that Mercyhurst-RMU game ends early in OT. Otherwise, it's going to be a really late night.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    Technically, the criteria are different.
                    That's true. And to be fair, there have been other Atlantic Hockey Hobey Baker finalists that weren't unanimous votes into the 1st team all-conference: Carsen Chubak and Paul Zanette. (Garbowsky, Tim Kirby, Jacques Lamoureux, Simon Lambert, and Eric Ehn were all unanimous.) I wish they posted the full tallies somewhere. How could someone have voted for anyone but Chubak?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                      As long as that Mercyhurst-RMU game ends early in OT. Otherwise, it's going to be a really late night.
                      It's almost like you have to work tonight or something.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                        Who's brilliant idea was it to move the starting times so late for the semi-finals? Last time RIT got this far weren't they at 4:00 and 7:30? This makes no sense. So much for bringing young kids to the game. Are they trying to accommodate the West Coast TV audience or something? What do they think that having the first game at 5 will bring more fans here from PA? As much as I like OT games, I am going to be rooting hard that the early one does not go OT. This is ridiculous.
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                          Who's brilliant idea was it to move the starting times so late for the semi-finals? Last time RIT got this far weren't they at 4:00 and 7:30? This makes no sense. So much for bringing young kids to the game. Are they trying to accommodate the West Coast TV audience or something? What do they think that having the first game at 5 will bring more fans here from PA? As much as I like OT games, I am going to be rooting hard that the early one does not go OT. This is ridiculous.
                          Someone probably wants to get the adult 9-5 crowd in for the first game.
                          RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                            It did use to be 4 and 7:30, but I'm sure the times were picked before the teams were known. I agree that an earlier start time is convenient for those with kids who need to get to bed, but I don't have kids, and I work until 4:30. I wouldn't be happy if RIT was playing in a 4pm game. Unfortunately, you can't please everyone.

For comparison, it seems like the semifinal times vary a bit, but AHC has the latest scheduled start times. (Although 3 hours isn't likely enough for Hockey East to play a full game and have an hour between games).
                            ECAC: 4:07, 7:37
                            WCHA: 4:07, 7:37 (local)
                            NCHC: 4:08, 7:38 (local)
                            Big Ten: 4:30, 8
                            Hockey East: 5, 8
                            AHC: 5:05, 8:35
                            Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                            College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                            Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                            Men's Frozen Four 2010
                            Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                            Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Not huge on the late start time either, not good for bringing kids. I'm trying to find someone's Time Warner login I can borrow to stream it from home.

EDIT: I guess the Time Warner Sports live stream is only for southern California...
                              Last edited by StimulisRK; 03-20-2015, 01:11 PM.

RIT Hockey FB Group
                              Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Originally posted by StimulisRK View Post
                                Not huge on the late start time either, not good for bringing kids. I'm trying to find someone's Time Warner login I can borrow to stream it from home.

EDIT: I guess the Time Warner Sports live stream is only for southern California...
                                I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for the America One Stream. $10 for both games isn't the most expensive thing in the world.
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X