PDA

View Full Version : SCSU @ UND Feb 27 and 28: Hey What's-Your-Name?

Pages : 1 [2]

Tipsy McStagger
02-27-2015, 12:49 PM
According to the NCHC, UND can win the Penrose Cup (either outright or shared) this weekend, but needs at least five points vs. St. Cloud State and help in other conference games.

Also, UND Looks to Slow down Speedy Huskies (http://thehockeywriters.com/und-looks-to-slow-down-speedy-huskies/)

“I haven’t watched much of them, I have to be honest with you,” head coach Dave Hakstol said. “I think they do a lot of things well. They play with pace. Their power play is at nearly 24 percent. Their lines seem to have really good depth to them.”

Hakstol continued, “I am not over evaluating them. I am more worried about what we’re doing. We’re coming out of a really hard-fought series – a real physical series. There will be some similarities this weekend, but there will also be some major differences coming home. I am really just preparing our team and making sure that we’re at our best.”
Translation: I am terrified of St. Cloud. There really isn't anything we can do to stop them, so why even bother? We are going to have to be at the top of our game just to avoid being embarrased.

Dirty
02-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Sheesh, SCSU's powerplay is really good and Luke Johnson continues to take really dumb penalties. If UND can manage to take three or fewer penalties tomorrow, they have a good chance of winning again. If they can't, they are in trouble.

SJHovey
02-27-2015, 10:59 PM
Their power play is very good, but SCSU got absolutely dominated 5 x 5 in that game. Great play in goal kept it from being the 6-2 game it could have been.

Husckey Domi Nation
02-27-2015, 11:27 PM
Their power play is very good, but SCSU got absolutely dominated 5 x 5 in that game. Great play in goal kept it from being the 6-2 game it could have been.

Wrong.

Tomorrow night St. Cloud needs to play like they did during the second and third periods and they will win. Charlie was just Charlie tonight.

Tipsy McStagger
02-28-2015, 12:16 AM
At the end of the game, Holden or Starman said the Huskies came out flat. I think UND came out and played the first like their hair was on fire. Seemed like they were kinda gassed after that. 2nd was a lot more even and I would say play favored SCSU slightly. 3rd period I thought SCSU played really well and had a lot of good chances 5x5 despite being unable to cash any in. It really felt like SCSU was going to tie it up in the middle of the third.

UND is better than I thought. At 3-0 I thought it was going to be a romp like the Friday night game in St. Cloud late last season. It ended up being a pretty good game.

burd
02-28-2015, 06:43 AM
Has SCSU's PP been this good all year, or did they find a magic formula at some point? And which coach teaches faceoffs for them? Can we rent that guy for a few days?

Dirty
02-28-2015, 08:40 AM
UND is better than I thought. At 3-0 I thought it was going to be a romp like the Friday night game in St. Cloud late last season. It ended up being a pretty good game.

Lol. Before last night UND had the third most wins in the country, was leading the league and was second in the pairwise. Exactly how bad did you think they were?

SCSU Euro
02-28-2015, 08:48 AM

McIntyre saved UND's bacon a few times himself, and the funny thing is, on all three of UND's goals, Chuck nearly came up with the save.

Has SCSU's PP been this good all year, or did they find a magic formula at some point?

24.22%, fourth in the nation overall. In conference, 28.05%, over 6% better than the 2nd best power play in the NCHC, which is surprisingly CC.

Tipsy McStagger
02-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Lol. Before last night UND had the third most wins in the country, was leading the league and was second in the pairwise. Exactly how bad did you think they were?

If I thought they were the best team in the country before the game and now I think they are the greatest team of all time, would that satisfy you? I didn't think they were bad, but I think this years UND team is only marginally better than last year's team, and last year's team barely made it into the NCAAs.

I haven't really been impressed with any teams this year. Miami, UNO and Denver are like 5th 6th and 7th in the country. I have seen them all play multiple times and those are good teams, but nothing special. I think North Dakota, UMD and Mankato are all very good teams. Other than that I think all the teams from 4-16 in the Pairwise are all interchangeable. I think it is wide open this year and it is a down year for college hockey.

hockeykrazy
02-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Has SCSU's PP been this good all year, or did they find a magic formula at some point? And which coach teaches faceoffs for them? Can we rent that guy for a few days?

They struggled early in the season on the PP and then they figured it out- just get it to Brodzy or Benik. They have really improved movement too- everyone moving not just the guy with the puck.

Faceoffs, it wasn't the coach it was Morley. Morley has always been good, he taught Dowd last year and the other guys like Rehkamp and Kosilla who really struggled started going to Morley for tips.
It will cost you tonight's game to get Morley for a few days. :D

I kind of agree with Tipsy on the teams this year- no one stands out. McIntyre has been the difference. We weren't ready for the physicality( I thought ND got away with a lot of late hits) in the first last night but I think it's going to be different tonight.
Our team has finally turned a page and is finally figuring things out. Kind of like Miami last year.

The team I am worried about is Miami if they figure it out. They are loaded with offense.

Dirty
02-28-2015, 11:42 PM
That penalty kill in the first was amazing.

Sioux-perDrunk
03-01-2015, 01:01 AM
When the 5 on 3 was killed off it was the loudest point of the game.. Such a fun game to be at SCSU had about ten minutes all game that they had an advantage. All around great game by UND!!! SIOUXEEEP!!

gomavs#1
03-01-2015, 07:27 AM
I know you guys have a bunch of them and probably doesn't mean much, but congrats UND on clinching the conference title. Toughest league in division 1 and you guys earned it. Going to be a tough team to beat in the tourney. Hope UNO avoids you at all costs.

burd
03-01-2015, 08:31 AM
I know you guys have a bunch of them and probably doesn't mean much, but congrats UND on clinching the conference title. Toughest league in division 1 and you guys earned it. Going to be a tough team to beat in the tourney. Hope UNO avoids you at all costs.

So do a lot of Sioux fans.

hockeykrazy
03-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Congrats to North Dakota on the sweep, clinching home ice and a share of the Penrose this weekend.
You definitely earned it with a great weekend of hockey. Good luck and hope to see you again in the playoffs.