USCHO Report: NYU to ECAC-W?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCHO Report: NYU to ECAC-W?

I said a couple years ago (I'll find the post momentarily) that one of the only things standing between NYU and a jump to DIII Hockey was their absolute joke of a rink. Well, it would appear a solution to that is in the works.

Report: New York University looking at jump to ECAC Division III
    USCHO Staff Report • Feb. 17, 2015

According to a report in the Washington Square News, New York University is looking to advance its current club team to varsity status.

NYU could potentially join an ECAC Division III conference and plans are on the table to move the school’s home rink from the Sky Rink in Chelsea Piers to the Kingsbridge Armory being built in the Bronx.

“It is my goal to bring NCAA hockey to New York City and NYU,” Violets’ coach Chris Cosentino said in the report. “We have been contacted multiple times by the ECAC. From the beginning, my mindset in building this program was that winning is an important part of it, but not as important as doing well academically and community outreach.”

Katie Boldvich, the associate vice president for leagues, affiliates and championships for the ECAC, said the conference does indeed have interest in NYU hockey.

“If NYU were to decide to elevate hockey to a varsity sport, the ECAC would have further discussions with the athletic department in regards to their plans for a conference affiliation,” Boldvich said in the article. “With NYU’s location and the current geographic footprint of the league, they would potentially be a great fit in the ECAC men’s West hockey league.

“The conference would potentially gain a strong and well-respected institution with a renowned athletic department. NYU’s benefits of conference affiliation would include a strong conference schedule, recognition for student-athletes on a weekly and postseason basis and opportunity to compete in a league postseason tournament.”

College Hockey Inc. executive director Mike Snee has been in contact with Cosentino about the possible benefits of NYU going varsity.

“We thought that given the number of high quality players coming from the NYC area that it was important for us to pursue schools there,” Snee said in the report. “So with Chris [Cosentino], I was excited to know that he was interested to pursue it.”

John Sanful, the executive director of Ice Hockey in Harlem has been working with NYU hockey for years now and is elated at what may come to fruition.

“If [NYU is] a varsity program, what’s going to happen is that they’re going to receive more recognition for what they do both on and off the ice,” Sanful said.
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

In D-I, people are dreaming on Arizona State being the first domino for Pac-12 hockey.

In D-III, I'll dream on NYU being the first domino for UAA hockey.
    BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
    CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
    2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
    2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Re: USCHO Report: NYU to ECAC-W?

I would not expect NYU to take long to compete if they make the jump. As I always say, the more the merrier!
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
        I said a couple years ago (I'll find the post momentarily) that one of the only things standing between NYU and a jump to DIII Hockey was their absolute joke of a rink. Well, it would appear a solution to that is in the works.
        You said NYU was a joke.

But also said:
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
          Okay, true. I tried to forget ever saying that, since I ended up eating those words when NYU turned their program around at the ACHA level. UNH was also a joke at the time, and they ended up winning the National Championship last year... (The first team in the NE Region to win it at the ACHA D2 level, and far more than their NCAA DI team can say...)

Siena, on the other hand, has made the complete opposite change and become a mediocre-at-best program.
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

The NYU campus is down in the village,the new proposed rink is in the Boogie down Bronx,for those without NYC knowledge that a good 1/2 hour in the car with no traffic and forget about the subway........and you thought the Domes were off campus

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
              The NYU campus is down in the village,the new proposed rink is in the Boogie down Bronx,for those without NYC knowledge that a good 1/2 hour in the car with no traffic and forget about the subway........and you thought the Domes were off campus
              They play their soccer on that plastic rug in the river uptown....with NO PARKING within 8 blocks and no mass transit either....
              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                They play their soccer on that plastic rug in the river uptown....with NO PARKING within 8 blocks and no mass transit either....
                just not fun,I used to take the bus to the domes or catch a ride with a few guys who had cars,then at Oswego we had the bus ride from Onondaga on the campus bus to Romney not to fun ...must be nice to walk to the CC if you live on campus...I didnt have the luxury of a car as I had to pay for college ugh........Now lets not mention what the fans at NYU will have to go thru to see a game

Comment

just not fun,I used to take the bus to the domes or catch a ride with a few guys who had cars,then at Oswego we had the bus ride from Onondaga on the campus bus to Romney not to fun ...must be nice to walk to the CC if you live on campus...I didnt have the luxury of a car as I had to pay for college ugh........Now lets not mention what the fans at NYU will have to go thru to see a game
                  Take the bus...

New York City is one of the world's most vibrant, culturally rich cities, and residents of NYU's residence halls are at the center of the excitement. Whether you're living in one of the residence halls centered around Washington Square in Greenwich Village, in Brooklyn Heights, or in a residence hall located in one of the city's other bustling neighborhoods, there is an endless amount of activity and things to do and see. Traveling to other areas of NYU and around the city is simple and affordable too, thanks to NYU's transportation services and New York City's extensive public transportation system. Both are easy to use and will ensure that you take advantage of all that New York City offers.
                  Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                    Take the bus...
                    the bus is the worst mode of transportation of them all.........including Citybike

Comment

the bus is the worst mode of transportation of them all.........including Citybike
                      A fire truck will get there pretty quickly...
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

You have experience with NYU's transportation services?
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Does anyone in NYC know that D-III sports exist?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            A fire truck will get there pretty quickly...
                            But I'm not sure that's viable for road games.
                            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              But I'm not sure that's viable for road games.
                              No mutual aid in NYC?
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                              X