Ohio State @ Minnesota-Duluth 2/20 - 2/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Minnesota-Duluth 2/20 - 2/22

I had to look at the schedule twice to catch the day off in between games for this matchup. As others have said, this is going to be an interesting weekend for the teams in positions 4-6 as only two points separate them. Bemidji is setting in 5th place with 41 points and is hosting Minnesota this weekend. The Beavers were able to take five points from the Gophers in Minneapolis earlier this season so nothing is a given there. Ohio State and Minnesota-Duluth will hook up in Duluth this weekend. UMD currently sets in fourth place in the WCHA with 42 points and Ohio State is holding down the sixth spot with 40 points. If Ohio State wants to jump UMD, they will need to have at least a five-point weekend, which will not be easy to say the least. However, if Ohio State brings the game they played vs Wisconsin Saturday, they will have a shot to win both contests. After being shut out by Wisconsin three times this season, the team awoke to score four goals on Saturday to win 4-3, which isn't bad vs the #3 team in the country. The Buckeyes are fairly healthy for the most part. Goaltending has been shared lately with freshman Kassidy Sauve and RS-junior Stacy Danczak both playing. Our blue-liners have been fairly solid this season with a few exceptions. At the other end of the ice, it has been scoring by committee as a number of girls have goals and points. Should be an interesting weekend. Earlier this season, UMD came into Columbus and took five points from the Buckeyes with a shootout win Friday night and a 4-1 win on Saturday. Ohio State will be looking to return the favor this time around, but they will face a hungry Bulldog team that is winless in their last six games vs UND, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. There were a couple of shootouts involved, but the Bulldogs could not pick up the extra point. UMD fans, what do you look for out of your team this weekend? I am sure they will be ready to go, not to mention it is Senior Weekend. Puck drops at 6:07 pm CST for Friday's game and 12:07 pm CST on Sunday. Here's to two good games and no injuries!

Re: Ohio State @ Minnesota-Duluth 2/20 - 2/22

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I had to look at the schedule twice to catch the day off in between games for this matchup. As others have said, this is going to be an interesting weekend for the teams in positions 4-6 as only two points separate them. Bemidji is setting in 5th place with 41 points and is hosting Minnesota this weekend. The Beavers were able to take five points from the Gophers in Minneapolis earlier this season so nothing is a given there. Ohio State and Minnesota-Duluth will hook up in Duluth this weekend. UMD currently sets in fourth place in the WCHA with 42 points and Ohio State is holding down the sixth spot with 40 points. If Ohio State wants to jump UMD, they will need to have at least a five-point weekend, which will not be easy to say the least. However, if Ohio State brings the game they played vs Wisconsin Saturday, they will have a shot to win both contests. After being shut out by Wisconsin three times this season, the team awoke to score four goals on Saturday to win 4-3, which isn't bad vs the #3 team in the country. The Buckeyes are fairly healthy for the most part. Goaltending has been shared lately with freshman Kassidy Sauve and RS-junior Stacy Danczak both playing. Our blue-liners have been fairly solid this season with a few exceptions. At the other end of the ice, it has been scoring by committee as a number of girls have goals and points. Should be an interesting weekend. Earlier this season, UMD came into Columbus and took five points from the Buckeyes with a shootout win Friday night and a 4-1 win on Saturday. Ohio State will be looking to return the favor this time around, but they will face a hungry Bulldog team that is winless in their last six games vs UND, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. There were a couple of shootouts involved, but the Bulldogs could not pick up the extra point. UMD fans, what do you look for out of your team this weekend? I am sure they will be ready to go, not to mention it is Senior Weekend. Puck drops at 6:07 pm CST for Friday's game and 12:07 pm CST on Sunday. Here's to two good games and no injuries!
    I didn't see your game vs UW but it sounded like a tremendous performance by OSU.

I would simply say that if OSU can duplicate that and UMD can duplicate the first two periods it had on Saturday vs UM then we should have a humdinger or two. The most glaring problem for the 'Dogs lately is an inability to score. If they can crawl out of that slump with some conviction then all the better.

Good luck, but not overly so.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      I didn't see your game vs UW but it sounded like a tremendous performance by OSU.

I would simply say that if OSU can duplicate that and UMD can duplicate the first two periods it had on Saturday vs UM then we should have a humdinger or two. The most glaring problem for the 'Dogs lately is an inability to score. If they can crawl out of that slump with some conviction then all the better.

Good luck, but not overly so.
      Thanks for the reply, Blackbeard! Knew I could count on you to keep this thing going! We really played a nice game Saturday. The girls played hard, got some timely goals and saves, and finished it off with a big win. I sincerely hope we can duplicate that performance this weekend. Our D has been decent lately. For the weekend, we only gave up five goals against Wisconsin, although we were shut out 2-0 Friday night. We were also swept recently at home by UND in two 1-0 games, so scoring goals has been a problem for us, too, at times. Should be very interesting this weekend!

Comment

As a non-partial observer, and having seen these two teams play Minnesota two of the past three weekends, I wouldn't want to bet a dime on which one will take this series. This past Friday aside, when virtually anything the Gophers threw at the Bulldogs' net seemed to go in, both teams are playing well and seem to be very evenly matched. When such is the case, it often comes down to (a) which team wants it more, and (b) goaltending.

Good luck to both teams. Should be a great series!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I would simply say that if OSU can duplicate that and UMD can duplicate the first two periods it had on Saturday vs UM then we should have a humdinger or two...
          That would be a fine show.

As indicated in previous posts, our Senior Night played a real role in the win over UW. The six seniors were flat out great. I also believe that the coaches did an excellent job of harnessing that Senior energy, particularly during crunch time in the third period.

That said, I'm a little concerned that UMD might find similar motivation in its final home series of the regular season. Note that if the Buckeyes grab the necessary 5 points, this would literally be Shannon Miller's last appearance behind the UMD bench at home in Duluth.

Can you comment on UMD's plans for Senior Night? Any special recognition for Shannon? And perhaps what the emotional state of the team is right now, given the big changes ahead? Thoughts on any of the above would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            That would be a fine show.

As indicated in previous posts, our Senior Night played a real role in the win over UW. The six seniors were flat out great. I also believe that the coaches did an excellent job of harnessing that Senior energy, particularly during crunch time in the third period.

That said, I'm a little concerned that UMD might find similar motivation in its final home series of the regular season. Note that if the Buckeyes grab the necessary 5 points, this would literally be Shannon Miller's last appearance behind the UMD bench at home in Duluth.

Can you comment on UMD's plans for Senior Night? Any special recognition for Shannon? And perhaps what the emotional state of the team is right now, given the big changes ahead? Thoughts on any of the above would be welcome.
            Don't know that there is going to be anything different taking place than what usually does (even though there might be...possibly even a surprise for the coaches given, as you say, this is the end of their stint at UMD...which would be nice).

Traditionally, after the game the team and parents head over to a nearby restaurant for supper, sometimes, if not always (not sure), booking the entire restaurant (lots to choose from in Canal Park within easy walking distance of The Amsoil). With the seniors standing together with Shannon in front of everyone else they are presented with gifts by Shannon, (very nice high quality keepsakes honouring their time on the team from what I've seen), they each give a short speech (it's quite emotional for some of the seniors) and then Shannon speaks at some length about each one of the seniors in turn.

And sometimes, her comments are refreshingly honest given what you might expect at such a function...airing some "dirty laundry", as it were, is not taboo such as indicating for instance that maybe she and this particular senior didn't see eye to eye initially for whatever the reasons were (and explaining those reasons) and then how that changed and the reasons why and how they both benefited, etc. She has been known to give glowing appreciation to some who have sacrificed for the team in different ways (sometimes not even overly well known to the team) and thereby also making her life, Shannon's, somewhat easier. It's all good.

It might be even more emotional for the seniors this year knowing that they are leaving at the same time that the entire coaching staff is. There might not be a dry eye in the place...including the rest of the team and the parents and the coaching staff. (I guess time will tell if some of the other payers will be transferring through the off season and as a result what shape the team will be in come September).

These are the types of things that I'm aware of and I would think that it's probably no different than what occurs with other teams, but I don't know. Maybe others could contribute what they know of their team's traditions on Senior night. Might be interesting.

Don't know what the emotional state of the team is other than what we as observers can imagine that it might be.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this series, as I always have with OSU.

Good luck and I know that you join me in hoping that the 'Dogs break out of their scoring slump in a big way this weekend. Who knows?... as you said, they might be super motivated to go out with a bang to end the season on senior night but maybe even more so because of the unprecedented circumstance that they all find themselves in.

Comment

Don't know that there is going to be anything different taking place than what usually does (even though there might be...possibly even a surprise for the coaches given, as you say, this is the end of their stint at UMD...which would be nice).

Traditionally, after the game the team and parents head over to a nearby restaurant for supper, sometimes, if not always (not sure), booking the entire restaurant (lots to choose from in Canal Park within easy walking distance of The Amsoil). With the seniors standing together with Shannon in front of everyone else they are presented with gifts by Shannon, (very nice high quality keepsakes honouring their time on the team from what I've seen), they each give a short speech (it's quite emotional for some of the seniors) and then Shannon speaks at some length about each one of the seniors in turn.

And sometimes, her comments are refreshingly honest given what you might expect at such a function...airing some "dirty laundry", as it were, is not taboo such as indicating for instance that maybe she and this particular senior didn't see eye to eye initially for whatever the reasons were (and explaining those reasons) and then how that changed and the reasons why and how they both benefited, etc. She has been known to give glowing appreciation to some who have sacrificed for the team in different ways (sometimes not even overly well known to the team) and thereby also making her life, Shannon's, somewhat easier. It's all good.

It might be even more emotional for the seniors this year knowing that they are leaving at the same time that the entire coaching staff is. There might not be a dry eye in the place...including the rest of the team and the parents and the coaching staff. (I guess time will tell if some of the other payers will be transferring through the off season and as a result what shape the team will be in come September).
              Greatly appreciate the detailed description.

These are the types of things that I'm aware of and I would think that it's probably no different than what occurs with other teams, but I don't know. Maybe others could contribute what they know of their team's traditions on Senior night. Might be interesting.
              I don't have as much information to offer, but I can tell you that the Buckeyes now focus on a post-game ceremony rather than a pre-game ceremony. I suppose there's a bit of a risk to that; if the game doesn't go well, it could put a bit of damper on the celebration. It did, of course, work out extremely well for the Buckeyes this year. I guess the idea is that it allows players on both teams focus on the task at hand during the pre-game period; and doesn't impose unwanted celebration time on the visitors -- or make them a captive audience.

Don't know what the emotional state of the team is other than what we as observers can imagine that it might be.
              More than fair; I'm not sure what I'd say if I was asked a comparable question. No doubt you have your finger on the pulse. But that's not quite the same as having inside information.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this series, as I always have with OSU.

Good luck and I know that you join me in hoping that the 'Dogs break out of their scoring slump in a big way this weekend. Who knows?... as you said, they might be super motivated to go out with a bang to end the season on senior night but maybe even more so because of the unprecedented circumstance that they all find themselves in.
              I certainly expect a highly competitive series. But honestly it could go either way for UMD. Super motivated is what I expect. But it is possible that Shannon's situation will prove to be a serious distraction. I guess we'll know a lot more after the fact.

Again, thanks for the detailed reply.

Comment

Again, thanks for the detailed reply.
                You're welcome. Thinking that you were asking about the off ice tradition/plans I didn't mention that UMD also has a post game ceremony as you mentioned with the red carpet, flowers and introduction of the parents. From what I have seen over the years it is quite well attended by the fans who stay for it after the game. I think post game is better for the reasons that you mentioned. After that they hit the showers and then the restaurant.

Comment

The UMD Bulldogs take game one by a final score of 3-1. Zoe Hickel opened the scoring for Minnesota-Duluth in the second period after a scoreless first period. OSU's Kari Schmitt answered for the Bucks to tie it at 1-1. Jessica Healey answered for the Bulldogs to make it 2-1 in what turned out to be the game-winner as Ohio State would not score again. Some may not know this, but Jessica's parents also wear Scarlet & Gray as her brother Josh is playing his college hockey for the Buckeyes. Michela Cava finished the scoring for UMD early in the third period on a power play goal. SOG were even at 36 with UMD's outstanding goalie Kayla Black stopping 35 and OSU freshman Kassidy Sauve earning 33 saves. UMD was 1-3 on the PP and Ohio State was 0-3 in their PP. The teams are actually off today and will finish the series tomorrow at 12:07 pm CST.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                    The UMD Bulldogs take game one by a final score of 3-1. Zoe Hickel opened the scoring for Minnesota-Duluth in the second period after a scoreless first period. OSU's Kari Schmitt answered for the Bucks to tie it at 1-1. Jessica Healey answered for the Bulldogs to make it 2-1 in what turned out to be the game-winner as Ohio State would not score again. Some may not know this, but Jessica's parents also wear Scarlet & Gray as her brother Josh is playing his college hockey for the Buckeyes. Michela Cava finished the scoring for UMD early in the third period on a power play goal. SOG were even at 36 with UMD's outstanding goalie Kayla Black stopping 35 and OSU freshman Kassidy Sauve earning 33 saves. UMD was 1-3 on the PP and Ohio State was 0-3 in their PP. The teams are actually off today and will finish the series tomorrow at 12:07 pm CST.
                    Thanks for the detailed write up, osualum86. I meant to put my post game comments in this thread but out of habit I automatically posted them in the UMD thread so I'll just copy them here now: I left the detail to you and/or pgb, as competent and fair as you both are at it.

UMD 3 - OSU 1 final. SOG 36 each.

A good quick game and a fairly even game I thought with decent energy level and while there were several exciting opportunities at each end there was just not the intensity that I was hoping for from each team given their past weekends. I was hoping for a really dynamic game.

'Dogs missed 3 empty netters with Huertas missing 2 and ending up in the net herself on her second attempt. (Reminds me of my comments about shooting practice).

And 2 breakaways, one in the first and one in the second, (I believe it was one for each team), and Hansen was completely silent during each one as though they weren't happening. He must have been in the kitchen making cocktails. Unbelievable.

We'll see what Seniors' "Night" brings on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Rather lethargic play by both teams to start the game. OSU registered their first shot on goal only seconds before half way through the first period at which time the 'Dogs had only chalked up two not too long before that. The play picked up after that.

Gagne is credited with scoring OSU's goal although is seemed like Black might have scored on herself on the rebound that came off the boards behind her. Without having the benefit of replays at Amsoil one defers to the official record.

UMD sustained some offensive pressure near the end of the period but it was OSU that capitalized once they got the puck out of their end.

Comment

Zubco with a great play for OSU sweeping the puck away from the goal line after Stalder had beaten Danczak.

Kepler scored after a prolonged scramble in the UMD crease with bodies everywhere on the doorstep.

Mrazova then put UMD on the scoreboard with 17.7 seconds left in the period on a rather strange play after a pass from Hickel. The puck was loose in the crease and after what seemed like a delayed reaction she stretched to poke it in not being in a position to do anything else. Before that it was UMD's scoring woes continuing with their having the decided advantage in the good opportunities department.

Comment

Healey tied it up with a nice wrist shot from the slot with traffic in front of Danczak at 8:59 of the third.

Then Lacquette with a blast from the point that was deflected by Gillanders making it 3-2 at 12:56.

There was a lot of end to end action for several minutes late in the period with Danczak vacating her net with 2 minutes left.

Hickel on a semi breakaway with an empty netter at 1:23 left after which Danczak went back in and then back out with Stalder getting a clear breakaway for another empty netter with 19.6 seconds left on the clock.

The UMD seniors contributed 9 points in today's game.

OSU converting early didn't get many opportunities afterwards while the 'Dogs finally converted on a few after missing earlier on some great chances.
                          Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-22-2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Can you comment on UMD's plans for Senior Night? Any special recognition for Shannon?
                            Well, at least as far as any public recognition for Miller goes, after the game and after honouring the seniors and introducing their parents there was a video tribute that was put together for her and shown on the Amsoil clock/screen and everyone was asked to direct their attention to it.

The problem was, for those watching via the live stream, not only did the cameraman keep the camera pointed without movement at the team on the blue line during the ceremony for the seniors thereby allowing the viewer to see only the tradional hugs for each senior as they proceeded down that line but also thereby preventing the viewer from seeing any of the seniors with their parents on the red carpet, even when the blue line hugs were finished and there was lots of time to pan over to the seniors with their parents, he also saw fit to not pan up to the clock so that the viewer could see the tribute to Miller. (It might not have been easy to see had he done so but I think that that is a secondary consideration).

I guess he was getting a hot dog at the concession stand.

Terribly incompetent.
                            Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

The various updates and reports are much appreciated. And, congratulations to your Bulldogs on the sweep.

On our end, it's a shame to drop down to 6th. But maybe changing up opponents for next weekend is in the best interest of all concerned. Beyond that, it will be nice to get another chance against North Dakota. The Buckeyes had a pretty respectable 2nd half, with one exception: Getting swept at home by UND was very damaging. Here's to hoping the Buckeyes embrace the opportunity for some redemption.

Comment

Working...
                              X