Minnesota @ Penn State: 2/20 & 2/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota @ Penn State: 2/20 & 2/21

Minnesota travels to play Penn State this weekend for a series with the Nittany Lions. Friday's game is at 5:30 central and on the B1G. Saturday's game is at 4:00pm central and is on ESPNU. This past weekend Penn State was swept at Michigan State and Minnesota swept Michigan at Mariucci. Should be a good series with plenty to play for.

Go
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Re: Minnesota @ Penn State: 2/20 & 2/21

Not sure what to expect. Gophers gutted out to wins in Happy Valley last season, my hope is that they can find a way to do it again.

Both teams had very different weekends this past weekend so it will be interesting to see how each team comes out. I assume PSU will be ****ed after being swept and my hope is that the Gophers aren't coasting after the sweep of Michigan.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Doesn't take much to swing us off the ledge and back into the title conversation. With this many games left, they usually say that you can't win them all. But why not? I think we could, so let's give it a try.

Comment

Last edited by MN Magic; 04-02-2015, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MN Magic View Post
          I think its great the Gophers look more engaged the past two weeks, but it feels like if they lose ONE of their last eight games they fall out of the Pairwise?
          Not necessarily, it depends on what the other teams around them in the PWR are doing too. Winning all our regular season games will obviously get us into the NCAA's, but depending on what other teams do we could stumble a game or 2 and probably still make it without winning the B1G tourney.

That said, just win baby!
          Originally posted by CavalryNate
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

Last edited by MN Magic; 04-02-2015, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MN Magic View Post
              I hope your right. The Big Ten Tourney would be much more enjoyable knowing your already in
              But for sure not as exciting!
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Look forward to this weekend. Not because I expect a sweep but because This is a PSU team that seems much improved from last season and should be further proof if the Gophers are truly surging toward better things. That doesn't necessarily require two wins but rather 1) Continued return to form by Wilcox 2) The same in overall team D and 3) playing with grit and fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                  Not necessarily, it depends on what the other teams around them in the PWR are doing too. Winning all our regular season games will obviously get us into the NCAA's, but depending on what other teams do we could stumble a game or 2 and probably still make it without winning the B1G tourney.

That said, just win baby!
                  More specifically,

To move up if we win, we need losses from:

Providence
                  Boston College
                  Quinnapiac
                  Denver

To avoid moving down if we lose, we need losses from:

Harvard
                  Yale
                  Vermont
                  and yes, Michigan
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

I looked at Penn State's schedule and results: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...key-sched.html

Are they really 10-1-3 on their home ice? If so, wow, that's pretty good. In fact, that's better than pretty good, that's domination, that's best in the league.

What's the secret to their success at home?

Comment

They shoot a LOT, and just relentlessly attack, from the couple games I have seen. The last game I saw from them was against MSU a couple weeks ago, and it was embarrassing how PSU beat them. A couple of the goals....the goalie had NO chance at a save. No chance.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        They shoot a LOT, and just relentlessly attack, from the couple games I have seen. The last game I saw from them was against MSU a couple weeks ago, and it was embarrassing how PSU beat them. A couple of the goals....the goalie had NO chance at a save. No chance.
                        So, in other words, the Gophers really have their work cut out for them. What would you say the odds are of:

A) Minnesota sweeps
                        B) Penn State sweeps
                        C) They split
                        D) None of the above - a tie in one or both games, with shoot-out point(s) awarded that affect conference standings only

I'm going with D. Gophers win one, but tie and then lose the shootout, because they always do.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          So, in other words, the Gophers really have their work cut out for them. What would you say the odds are of:

A) Minnesota sweeps
                          B) Penn State sweeps
                          C) They split
                          D) None of the above - a tie in one or both games, with shoot-out point(s) awarded that affect conference standings only

I'm going with D. Gophers win one, but tie and then lose the shootout, because they always do.
                          Given their recent play I say sweep. Given the full body of work, then D is my prediction. PSU has established themselves as a possible powerhouse in this conference. They might not be there yet, but they are making noise.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Given their recent play I say sweep. Given the full body of work, then D is my prediction. PSU has established themselves as a possible powerhouse in this conference. They might not be there yet, but they are making noise.
                            They have one of the older rosters in college hockey. I wouldn't quite go as far as to say they have established themselves as a conference powerhouse. They'll need to consistently win before I'll do that.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

With my glass half full, worm half turned perspective this team is still on the edge. I expect them to be coasting on Friday and lose, then come back Saturday and win. Michigan came back hard Saturday and they responded, I hope they can maintain the effort.

How is Lettieri? He took a slapper on the side of his head Saturday. I read he was walking around in the locker room after the game. Best I've seen him play as a gopher.

Comment

Working...
                              X