Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Termination of penalty question: who comes out of the box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termination of penalty question: who comes out of the box?

During Saturday's Penn State at Mercyhurst game, the following situation occured:

Mecyhurst (#4) takes a penalty at 6:54 (5 PSU - 4 MU, PSU PP)
    Penn State (#40) takes a penalty at 8:01 (4 PSU - 4 MU, Even)
    Penn State (#11) takes a penalty at 8:45 (3 PSU - 4 MU, MU PP)
    Mercyhurst does not score during the 4 on 3, #4 returns to the ice at 8:54. Now 5 on 3 for Mercyhurst.
    Mercyhurst scores at 9:34 during the 5 on 3.

Who comes out of the box for Penn State?

Keep in mind the following statement from the NCAA Ice Hockey rulebook:

Note: Short-handed means that the team must be below the numerical
    strength of its opponent on the ice at the time the goal is scored. The minor
    penalty that terminates automatically is the one that causes the team scored
    against to be short-handed.
    After much discussion among the refs, #11 came out of the box. Did they get it right?

Re: Termination of penalty question: who comes out of the box?

Should've been 40 I believe.

Comment

Yeah why would it not have been #40?
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Yeah why would it not have been #40?
        Because the penalty taken by #40 did not result them in being short handed, at the time. At least that is the way the logic was explained to the off-ice officals.

We think the refs got it wrong. I am wondering if there is some written rules clarification that I have been unable to find via google.

Comment

Originally posted by LakersFan View Post
          During Saturday's Penn State at Mercyhurst game, the following situation occured:

Mecyhurst (#4) takes a penalty at 6:54 (5 PSU - 4 MU, PSU PP)
          Penn State (#40) takes a penalty at 8:01 (4 PSU - 4 MU, Even)
          Penn State (#11) takes a penalty at 8:45 (3 PSU - 4 MU, MU PP)
          Mercyhurst does not score during the 4 on 3, #4 returns to the ice at 8:54. Now 5 on 3 for Mercyhurst.
          Mercyhurst scores at 9:34 during the 5 on 3.

Who comes out of the box for Penn State?

Keep in mind the following statement from the NCAA Ice Hockey rulebook:

After much discussion among the refs, #11 came out of the box. Did they get it right?
          Fun scenario. Have to admit I'm not 100% sure. Just to focus in a little bit:

1. Had Mercyhurst scored during the 4x3, #11 is clearly the correct answer.

2. Had Mercyhurst not been penalized at all -- in other words a straight up 5x3 from the start of #11's penalty -- it's equally clear that #40 would be the correct answer.

But this case seems to have arguments for both possible outcomes. In general, first in/first out applies unless there's a specific exception. And yet at the time of the first penalty, #40 did not cause a short-handed situation, so maybe the exception applies. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Comment

From what I see here, upon the expiration of Mercyhurst #4's penalty, Penn State's #40 is the player that causes PSU to be shorthanded in the first place. #11 just happens to put PSU down two skaters. I think the officials got it incorrect here.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              From what I see here, upon the expiration of Mercyhurst #4's penalty, Penn State's #40 is the player that causes PSU to be shorthanded in the first place. #11 just happens to put PSU down two skaters. I think the officials got it incorrect here.
              I agree with hammer. There's no question since Hurst scored. The penalty with the least amount of time left on comes out. Unless there is some crazy NCAA rule like when a team scores on a delayed penalty and the penalized team still serves the penalty.
              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                I agree with hammer. There's no question since Hurst scored. The penalty with the least amount of time left on comes out.
                Yep.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I know that if the Lakers had scored during the 4-on-3, #11 comes out and that is correct. The reason is that she was the only reason for PSU being shorthanded to that point. Given that reasoning, then I can see where #11 would come out in the scenario that you describe. I don't know for sure, but I think that the refs may be right. When I last saw something like that, it took a lot of discussion among officials and explaining to coaches before it was all sorted out. Yet another reason players should do their best to stay out of the box.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Had Mercyhurst scored 4x3, that would have been the absolutely correct call. She would have been the reason that Penn State was down 3x4. But once the Mercyhurst penalty expired, circumstances changed. Once the Mercyhurst player came out of the box, #11's penalty was secondary as it relates to why Penn State was shorthanded at that point. Penn State would have been down a skater (#40) regardless if #11 had taken a penalty, stayed on the ice, hid behind the bench, or went to the concession stand to go get popcorn. That's why I think the referees got this one wrong.
                    Last edited by Hammer; 02-15-2015, 02:11 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

The problem here is that the phrase, "the one that causes the team scored against to be short-handed," is not clear and unambiguous. No amount of us hashing it out here is capable of changing the fact that it is reasonably open to multiple interpretations. The only solution is for the NCAA to revise the rulebook in a way that clarifies it.

Writing rules is a lot harder than most people realize.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        The problem here is that the phrase, "the one that causes the team scored against to be short-handed," is not clear and unambiguous. No amount of us hashing it out here is capable of changing the fact that it is reasonably open to multiple interpretations. The only solution is for the NCAA to revise the rulebook in a way that clarifies it.

As is refereeing a hockey game.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          ... as it relates to why Penn State was shorthanded at that point.
                          And that's the question. Does "causes the team to be shorthanded" mean at the point that the team became shorthanded or someone who committed an infraction that would eventually have resulted in the team being shorthanded? The referees went with the former.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post

Sure. But talking about this on a bitter cold Sunday is a whole lot better than watching someone get shot with needles on Mythbusters, or crocodiles on Nat Geo.

There is also a spot early on in the rulebook (I do not have one in front of me, and I'm not Googling one at this point in time) that goes along the lines of "the referees are the final arbiters", or something like that.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by LakersFan View Post
                              This obviously can't be the first time such a scenario has played out.

I can't point to any specific instance at the moment, but I have never seen (or noticed) a situation where is has ever been anything other than 'first in, first out'.

No, IMO, they got it wrong.

(Discounting any 'five minute majors' mixed in to the scenario, that is.)

Comment

Working...
                              X