Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Canada Winter Games in Prince George, B.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Canada Winter Games in Prince George, B.C.

Some early results from day two (today)...

TSN2 is presently airing BC vs Quebec. 2-0 Quebec after one. Sarah Potomac from BC and a Freshman this coming September at UM looks quite impressive so far in this game.

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/page/sh...496.1423939334
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-14-2015, 11:39 PM.

Re: 2015 Canada Winter Games in Prince George, B.C.

The floodgates have opened. Que 7 - B.C. 0 after two.

B.C working on their second goaltender with both looking a bit suspect. Not what they were hoping for in front of the home crowd.

Comment

I think the host team was a little too gracious in consenting to Quebec's practising their power play for a large portion of the last half of the game.

7-0 Final for Quebec.

And Cheryl Pounder, who is doing the colour commentary, mentioned at the beginning of the game that B.C. took 2 years to put this team together...Yikes!

Hopefully, they can regroup and put this game behind them.

The scouts are as thick as thieves up there watching lots of players that will be playing D1 next season and that we'll be talking about on this board.

For those interested and who can get TSN2, Quebec vs Ontario on Monday Feb.16 at 9:30 P.M CST and the Gold Medal Game is on Friday Feb.20 at 9:30 P.M. CST.
      Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-15-2015, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        I think the host team was a little too gracious in consenting to Quebec's practising their power play for a large portion of the last half of the game.

7-0 Final for Quebec.

And Cheryl Pounder, who is doing the colour commentary, mentioned at the beginning of the game that B.C. took 2 years to put this team together...Yikes!

Hopefully, they can regroup and put this game behind them.

The scouts are as thick as thieves up there watching lots of players that will be playing D1 next season and that we'll be talking about on this board.

For those interested and who can get TSN2, Quebec vs Ontario on Monday Feb.16 at 9:30 P.M CST and the Gold Medal Game is on Friday Feb.20 at 9:30 P.M. CST.
        This is a nice event for the girls to participate in and helps give some exposure to the game but the level of competition is extremely poor. Half the teams would be lucky to compete against Midget Tier-2 teams in Ontario or Quebec. Imagine Ontario playing Yukon. Yikes! There are only 35000 people living in Yukon and they have only 1 competitive midget team in the entire territory. Just imagine if Team Minnesota played against Team Louisiana and you get the picture.

I agree with above I thought BC might have a chance for 3rd but all bets are off now. Ontario could have sent 3 more teams, Quebec another, and all would compete for gold.

In non-Winter games years Ontario sends 2 teams and normally picks up gold and silver as they have the last 2 years.

I expect Ontario to play Quebec in the finals with neither having a tough game unless the setup has them playing off in the semi finals.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadaDude View Post
          This is a nice event for the girls to participate in and helps give some exposure to the game but the level of competition is extremely poor. Half the teams would be lucky to compete against Midget Tier-2 teams in Ontario or Quebec. Imagine Ontario playing Yukon. Yikes! There are only 35000 people living in Yukon and they have only 1 competitive midget team in the entire territory. Just imagine if Team Minnesota played against Team Louisiana and you get the picture.
          You've hit the nail on the head. It's all about population. Ontario, Quebec, B.C. and Alberta usually scoop up the hardware because they have by far the largest talent pools to draw from. This happens consistently in soccer as well. The competition is poor when mismatched (size wise) talent pools are facing each other...when they are matched it is usually competitive.

This is why it was such a big deal when Team Manitoba played Team Ontario for Gold in Whitehorse in 2007...a semi David vs Goliath with respect to the size of each province's respective talent pool. And, if I recall correctly, Manitoba was up on the scoreboard and the play at the end of the first period. Ontario hadn't seen this level of competition and it gave them great pause...the Ontario fans in the stands were certainly concerned and their singing sure stopped. However, for whatever reason and having every reason to do the opposite, Manitoba came out flat in the second period...the team didn't seem afterward to even be aware of it. It was a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. And that, combined with the Manitoba goalie that day not having her best game and Ontario's continually grinding away, was that. Still, an extremely competitive game.

A huge number of players on both teams went on to play D1 with several moving on to Canada's senior team...some of them are presently on that roster. Quite an honour to watch so many talented players square off against each other just when the limelight is about to really shine on them. So, it can happen but the numbers aren't in favour of it occurring...meaning somewhat mismatched (size wise) talent pools resulting in a great or competitive game.

However, many good things can happen for individual players even in mismatched games. Team Manitoba's first game in Whitehorse was vs Team Northwest Territories. Manitoba won 6-0 but the game in addition to showcasing some of Manitoba's abilities certainly showcased that of NWT goaltender Leah Sulyma. Manitoba had 96 shots on her and only beat her 6 times! She stood on her head and got a D1 scholarship to NU where she played for four years and, I assume, got a degree. She took lemons and turned them into lemonade for herself. It happens.

As a matter of fact, Lana Steck, Team Manitoba's goaltender in that same game had just done the same thing for herself a few months earlier in Wilcox, Sask. at their Annual North American Female Midget Showcase Tournament. Similar story, she was barraged with shots and under siege for the whole game, as was Sulyma, and stood on her head keeping her team in the game and the scholarship offers started pouring in...she had two scouts approach her before she could even get on the bus an hour later to head back home. So, with these tournaments crawling with scouts lots of good things can happen for players. It's a big deal and a huge opportunity for the players to force the scouts to pay attention and take notice.

Here's a history of the Medal Winners...scroll down to the bottom. What's interesting is that Quebec is almost always in the running but has never won Gold.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Nat...ter-Games.aspx

Comment

Was just given this link by a friend to live and archived action at the Canada Winter Games.

Quebec is playing Ontario right now on TSN2...and it is also on this website right now.

http://sportscanada.tv/canadagames/i.../womens-hockey
            Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-16-2015, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Scoreless after one. Quick game. Ontario dominating the SOG...actually pitching a shut out so far.

Comment

Que 1 - Ont 0 after 2. SOG Que 6 - Ont 21 !!!!

Too bad the crowd is so thin.

Comment

Fast entertaining game. Ontario with the faster more talented skaters, better stickhandlers, crisper passing, quicker decision making, stronger shooters and more organized power play. And they outshot Quebec 44-19!! The only problem is...they lost 3-1 with a late Quebec empty netter.

Some very weak/questionable calls by the officials both ways and some very undisciplined/stupid play by both teams.

Quebec's goaltender while not scintillating did what she needed to do by keeping square to the puck the entire game and making a clutch save on a semi breakaway late in the game. And Quebec on defense did enough to continually foil Ontario's superior skill. And although Ontario's PP was organized and crisp they were only 1 for 7 on the PP.

Lots of injuries in this game.

Five team Ontario players will be lacing up for Clarkson next season. If they have immediate impact in their Freshman year it looks like Clarkson will be a contender again. Some serious speed and skill!
                  Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-17-2015, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Who is playing who in the 8's ? Any predictions ?

Comment

Really disappointed in BC in this tournament.
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

All credibility of this event went out the window for me when I noticed a large number of 2000 and younger girls playing, including a 2003. How does a 2000 player compete against 97s much less a 2003. I understand a few 99s being able to compete but a girl who is in grade 6? Really?

I did expect more out of Ontario and the team may eventually come together. A lot of individual play. I still expect Ontario to beat Quebec in the finals.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          Really disappointed in BC in this tournament.
                          I was hoping for more from NU during these games. Maybe a medal in short track...

Comment

Originally posted by hockeycanadarocks View Post
                            Who is playing who in the 8's ? Any predictions ?
                            Who knows? Here's the results so far in two different formats. The ability to watch a game online on demand is a great feature but not even mentioned anywhere on the Canada Games Website that I could see...and I was looking. Luckily, a friend just mentioned it to me last night.

Watching a bit of the Man - N & L game right now that was played earlier today. A little yellowy but fairly clear. Good audio of the on ice action but no play by play. (I wonder if there will be play by play for the Gold Medal Game on Friday night?) Ended up being a blow out for Manitoba but with more than half the first period gone it's still scoreless.

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/schedul...instance/27113

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/page/sh...496.1423939334

Might as well add the link to the game...

http://sportscanada.tv/canadagames/i...ens-hockey/105
                            Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-18-2015, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Gorgeous spinning blind cross-ice bank pass (by Jaycee Magwood, I think) to spring a 2 on 1 and a nice goal for Manitoba at 13:24 of the 3rd period.

http://sportscanada.tv/canadagames/i...ens-hockey/105
                              Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-18-2015, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X