X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weighing Realignment?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    c.r.e.a.m.
    Hockey being on the Big Ten Network brings in zero additional money to the schools. So cash doesn't come into play at all here.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      So much stupid in such a short post.

NCHC teams are on national TV as well. But no one watches either conference. Barely anyone watches NHL games. How many people do you think saw Minnesota vs Wisconsin on DirecTV channel 610?

Were NCHC programs losing money before TV deals? They don't have programs that lose money. Otherwise they never would have been invited. Where are you getting your information that the NCHC is struggling financially? Because we know they sure aren't struggling on the ice. So why do they need realignment?

No one said the B1G will fold. I don't doubt they will be playing terrible hockey forever.
      Now this is rich, I'm pretty sure most hockey programs lose money overall...because they spend just about everything they make to keep pushing the limits of recruiting budgets, travel costs, etc.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
        Then I think the next dominoes to fall are obvious. QU goes to HE and HC goes to the ECAC beating out RIT.
        That's not that obvious. HC would have to commit to raising their women's team to D-I quality and building a decent rink. RIT already has both of those, along with pre-existing conference affiliations with St.L, Clarkson, RPI, and Union.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Now this is rich, I'm pretty sure most hockey programs lose money overall...because they spend just about everything they make to keep pushing the limits of recruiting budgets, travel costs, etc.
          I guess I should retract my statement if you are "pretty sure" that "most" hockey programs lose money overall. There is clearly no way then that A. you are wrong about the fact that most programs lose money overall, B. you are right that most programs lose money overall, but the 8 programs in the NCHC are not in that majority.
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I guess I should retract my statement if you are "pretty sure" that "most" hockey programs lose money overall. There is clearly no way then that A. you are wrong about the fact that most programs lose money overall, B. you are right that most programs lose money overall, but the 8 programs in the NCHC are not in that majority.
            I'm not saying the NCHC programs don't make money, I'm just saying that they spend it, so the balance sheet is pretty much always near ZERO. Thats how things typically work...its why so much of D1 athletic talk of schools not being able to afford to pay players is a fallacy because the reason the big schools spend so much on state of the art training facilities or whatever is because they don't have to pay athletes and they have money...that balance sheet still looks close to zero for most programs because they spend almost every penny they get or more on things to improve the program for the future.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

For years in Durham the prevalent thought was that hockey was the only money making sport on campus, funding other sports.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                For years in Durham the prevalent thought was that hockey was the only money making sport on campus, funding other sports.
                You could be correct in my assessment, I may not be properly separating hockey from athletic departments.

Comment

I'm not saying the NCHC programs don't make money, I'm just saying that they spend it, so the balance sheet is pretty much always near ZERO. Thats how things typically work...its why so much of D1 athletic talk of schools not being able to afford to pay players is a fallacy because the reason the big schools spend so much on state of the art training facilities or whatever is because they don't have to pay athletes and they have money...that balance sheet still looks close to zero for most programs because they spend almost every penny they get or more on things to improve the program for the future.
                  I agree with all of that for the most part. But at schools where D-I hockey is the main money maker, like it is at all of the NCHC schools except for Miami and WMU, I don't think that's the case.

Comment

Biddco

I agree with you about what would motivate ND to leave HE and join the NCHC, as there is a strong MN recruiting foot print with in

I don't see travel expenses as an issue for the Irish and travel time would be would be less in the NCHC

It will come down to the TV contract and whether or not the Irish and NCHC can find a way to keep everybody happy

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      That's not that obvious. HC would have to commit to raising their women's team to D-I quality and building a decent rink. RIT already has both of those, along with pre-existing conference affiliations with St.L, Clarkson, RPI, and Union.

Powers &8^]
                      Not to mention, RIT would be bringing a TV contract with them (albeit regional, not national), something the EZAC doesn't have. At least the scholarship schools have free online streams, though...

Comment

Hockey being on the Big Ten Network brings in zero additional money to the schools. So cash doesn't come into play at all here.
                        I would venture only football and men's basketball has a positive cash flow on any collegiate network.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That may be true during this contract. However, it does give the network more original, live programming to sell to spnosrs which will help the network and ultimately the league and the schools. If the audience continues to grow, they will be able to attract more sponsors and charge even more for airtime.

Comment

They don't have programs that lose money. So why do they need realignment?
                            Ask Josh Fenton why he is pursuing ASU?

Comment

Then why do they have Friday night double headers?

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan View Post
                                Then why do they have Friday night double headers?
                                What else are they supposed to show? What other games are happening Friday nights?

Comment

Working...
                                X