D3 All-Americans Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 All-Americans Watch

As I like to do every year when the calendar turns to February, time to start releasing my predictions for All-Americans.

Here are my thoughts on how the East shapes up currently.

1st Team:
    F. Stephen Buco, UMass Boston
    F. William Pelletier, Norwich
    F. Nick Zappia, Cortland
    D. Mike Vollmin, Babson
    D. Bobby Gertsakis, Oswego
    G. Jamie Murray, Babson

2nd Team:
    F. Shawn Hulshoff, Oswego
    F. Jackson Brewer, Trinity
    F. Jared Ten van holtt, Elmira
    D. Aaron Deutsch, Amherst
    D. Zach Sarig, Plymouth State
    G. Alex Larson, Nichols

3rd Team:
    F. Robbie Murden, Hamilton
    F. Cheyne Matheson, NEC
    F. Andrew Wigg, Plymouth State
    D. Ronald Fishman, Middlebury
    D. Don Oliveri, Nazareth
    G. Ty Reichenbach, Norwich
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: D3 All-Americans Watch

I hope the fact that Zappia is on Cortland doesn't diminish the awards he gets this post season. He should be in the running for SUNYAC player of the Year and the Sid Watson Award because he is putting up amazing numbers on a garbage team.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker28 View Post
      I hope the fact that Zappia is on Cortland doesn't diminish the awards he gets this post season. He should be in the running for SUNYAC player of the Year and the Sid Watson Award because he is putting up amazing numbers on a garbage team.
      +1

I think right now Zappia and Hulshof are one-two in the SUNYAC POY race. With 2 weekends left, a lot could change though.
      Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
      2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
        +1

I think right now Zappia and Hulshof are one-two in the SUNYAC POY race. With 2 weekends left, a lot could change though.
        My Money is on Zappia getting it, he doesn't have the talent next to him that Hulshof has
        http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
          My Money is on Zappia getting it, he doesn't have the talent next to him that Hulshof has
          Real close right now...

Name: Goals-Assists-Points

Hulshof: 12-14-26
          Zappia: 11-13-24

Hulshof is tied for the league lead in Power Play Goals and Game Winning Goals. That could be the difference for some voters.

But as you say, Zappia has much less talent around him and he is also a Senior, while Hulshof is a Sophomore (which shouldn't matter, but humans will be humans).

I think my money is on Zappia right now also. Hulshof needs to have a big end to the season and Oswego needs to win the Regular Season crown for him to have a shot, IMO.
          Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
          2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Hulshof is on a line with Mike Montagna and Mitchell Herlihey and is on a PP unit featuring Alex Botten, Matt Galati, Bobby Gertsakis and take your pick on the 4th forward. Zappia has none of that talent around him. Most of his goals are probably similar to the ones he scored against Oswego, find the puck on a scramble after he led the rush up the ice and put it in.

Comment

there is also the theory that the player makes the other players around him better as well,Hulshof linemates seem to be killing it as well, not sure about viva Zappia,anyway both look to be deserving of it.

Comment

Montagna has some serious skills and I mean the play Herlihey made to him on Friday was ridiculous, that whole line is just clicking at the moment. Zappia has helped Freshmen Dan Broderick and Darren McCormick to some pretty solid rookie numbers and those three have accounted for 42 of Cortlands 82 goals. Three guys have scored more than half of the teams goals. In my opinion Hulshof is a better player than Zappia I just give Zappia the edge for carrying the team on his shoulders.

Comment

He'll never get the recognition because of his low offensive numbers, but defenseman Brandon Beadow of Plattsburgh is as good as it gets at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by Cards81 View Post
                    He'll never get the recognition because of his low offensive numbers, but defenseman Brandon Beadow of Plattsburgh is as good as it gets at this level.
                    You are right, he wont because a shutdown Dman never gets the recognition he deserves. Taylor Farris was the best Dman Oswego had in that impressive 2013 class and he never got any recognition because he didn't rack up the points.

Comment

Geneseo goalie Nick Horrigan deserves consideration for All-American, his 1.71 GAA & .944 Sv% are as good as anyone's. His win-loss record isn't as impressive as the 3 chosen by Prez above, but Geneseo has played a much tougher schedule than Babson, Nichols, or Norwich have (9th best SOS according to the KRACH), which makes his GAA & SV% numbers all the more impressive. Plus the aforementioned senior bump should help him.

Comment

Maybe SUNYAC bias but I agree on Horrigan he stole the Oswego game earlier this season and on a team that has scored a whopping 59 goals in 21 games 8-7-3 is not bad at all.

Comment

Horrigan did a pretty tremendous job against us in that 0-0 tie we had with Geneseo, too.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

From what I remember horigan plays a very good stay in place style,not to much extra movement and lets the puck hit him,and that we did in the loss vs Genny at the CC

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                              From what I remember horigan plays a very good stay in place style,not to much extra movement and lets the puck hit him,and that we did in the loss vs Genny at the CC
                              Horrigan was certainly impressive last season with the numbers to back it up too.

This season, while he may have some good games and memorable performances, the numbers aren't there as much and the team success isn't there as much either. Now granted that's not everything but it certainly would play into the minds of the coaches who vote for AA most likely.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X