Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Tournament

What if......

The NCAA created an exempt pre season tournament that pitted 2 Eastern schools vs 2 Western schools. A school could only play in it every 4 years.

For the inaugural tournament who would you invite and where would you play it?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: The Ultimate Tournament

Wow, 16 teams - 8 Eastern schools vs 8 Western schools - all with the caliber to create an "Ultimate Tournament", humm...
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

St. Norbert, Stevens Point (or River Falls), Norwich, and Oswego...
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
        St. Norbert, Stevens Point (or River Falls), Norwich, and Oswego...
        Year 1 - St. Norbert, Oswego, Adrian, Noriwch (rematch of 2011 FF) - play in Mariucci Arena this time instead of Ridder.

Year 2 - River Falls, St. John's, Elmira, Plattsburgh (played at Utica Aud)

year 3 - Stevens Point, Superior, Middlebury, Fredonia (powerhouses of the 90's theme) played at the neutral site they used for the 93 final four)

Year 4 - Eau Claire, St. Thomas, Trinity, Hobart (random collection played at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid.)
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

NESCAC's maybe a problem. Their first day of practice is 11/1.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            NESCAC's maybe a problem. Their first day of practice is 11/1.
            Oh, well....would suck to be them !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
              Oh, well....would suck to be them !
              It is what it is. Ivy's have the same problem with the Icebreaker in D1.

I would put Utica in the Aud venue just to ensure a good gate.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It is what it is. Ivy's have the same problem with the Icebreaker in D1.

I would put Utica in the Aud venue just to ensure a good gate.
                and no road game

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  year 3 - Stevens Point, Superior, Middlebury, Fredonia (powerhouses of the 90's theme) played at the neutral site they used for the 93 final four)
                  Fredonia would get crushed, not an entertaining game if you ask me
                  http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                    Fredonia would get crushed, not an entertaining game if you ask me
                    It was more the theme...Middlebury and Superior aren't as strong as they used to be either...
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      It was more the theme...Middlebury and Superior aren't as strong as they used to be either...
                      When I first started supporting SNC hockey, Superior was a force in the 'old' NCHA.
                      Had some real battles with them at the De Pere Ice Arena, before SNC moved into the CCC.
                      Big change in recent years @ Superior that I have noticed, is that they no longer recruit as aggressively in western Canada as they used to..
                      Last edited by pete99race; 01-29-2015, 04:04 PM.
                      SNC Men:
                      Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                      NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                      SNC Women:
                      O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Do a MASCAC or ECAC-NE team get an invite? Though, IIRC, they start between 10/15 and 11/1.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Do a MASCAC or ECAC-NE team get an invite? Though, IIRC, they start between 10/15 and 11/1.
                          Perhaps as an opening act
                          Larry Normandin
                          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                            When I first started supporting SNC hockey, Superior was a force in the 'old' NCHA.
                            Had some real battles with them at the De Pere Ice Arena, before SNC moved into the CCC.
                            Big change in recent years @ Superior that I have noticed, is that they no longer recruit as aggressively in western Canada as they used to..
                            I had to check: this season = three Canadians, five season ago = ten and 10 seasons ago = 22 on Superior's rosters..
                            SNC Men:
                            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                            SNC Women:
                            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

No, they get an into the NCAAs, that's enough for them

So every 4 years we look at a PWR type ranking, take the top-8 from each region to determine the 16 teams that play over the next 4 years. Year one is 1e v 2w and 1w v 2e, year two are the 3s and 4s, etc. After the 4-year cycle, we run the numbers again, and pick the next 16.

A neutral site is not realistic, so let's have the top seeds from each band flip a coin, and host it on campus. Or, have the top overall teams flip a coin, then alternate yearly between east and west, with the top seed in each band hosting....so if 1e hosts in year one, 3w would host in year two, 5e in year three, 7w in year four.

Think we can get a Pegula type figure to bankroll this thing?!

r

Comment

Working...
                              X