X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2014-15 Volume 2: Red's Revenge

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
    Well Whistlin' Dick got UHN's season turned around and a trip to the Garden with a less talented roster than Red had......just sayin.
    But doesn't he have players that actually get their shot on net when they shoot?

Comment

Well Whistlin' Dick got UHN's season turned around and a trip to the Garden with a less talented roster than Red had......just sayin.
      Less talent? Not sure how you come with that. UNH put it together at the end and Maine certainly didn't.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
        Actually, Paul Kariya wasn't one and done. He returned to UMaine for his sophomore year and then, as expected, he left in mid-season to join the Canadian Olympic team.
        Yes you are correct,my error on that one...it did feel like he was there for ONLY one season though.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Less talent? Not sure how you come with that. UNH put it together at the end and Maine certainly didn't.
          Just my opinion. Maybe equal talent?? Either way UHN got it done and Maine......not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Less talent? Not sure how you come with that.
            The fact that Maine beat them three times?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              The fact that Maine beat them three times?
              I didn't think either team was anything to write home about but no doubt UNH has played well and won when it mattered. I'd put UNH ahead of Maine in preseason picks and I'll bet the coaches do also.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Ben Hutton forgoing final year of eligibility

http://sbnation.com/e/7990930
                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                  Ben Hutton forgoing final year of eligibility

http://sbnation.com/e/7990930
                  The final high-end Timmy recruit is gone. Time to see if Red can bring in some talent.

Comment

I agree. I've been preaching the alcohol thing for a couple years now. The revenue it would generate alone would justify it. And $100 is on the low side for a game if you consider gas, food etc. But you are right why would anyone spend hundreds of $$ on a crappy product. At the end of the day it's entertainment. You wouldn't spend money to see a bad movie or a bad Broadway show. It baffles me how the powers that be haven't figured out that if you lowered the tix prices and had a full building, you would exponentially increase your revenue with food and merchandise sales.
                    They sell beer, and good beer, at Lowell. I think the attendance yesterday was 2300.

Comment

UNH had a better goalie, their top two lines started to perform in the last month, and their rookies finally started to fulfill some of their promise. Having watched Maine maybe three times all year, not sure if their fans can say the same. UNH isn't going to win the NCAA's but they have made it to the Garden two years in a row with less talented teams that ones that somehow found ways to lose in the quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                        They sell beer, and good beer, at Lowell. I think the attendance yesterday was 2300.
                        Sunday playoff games are always going to have low attendance, you have less than 24hrs notice that the game is being played. Lowell had 4137 on Friday and 4291 on Saturday.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                          You could be right but I find that hard to believe. Quinnipiac might.......they've got lots of $$$ and aren't afraid to spend it on athletics. Union?.....I doubt it. I don't think that any of the other ECAC programs do either. In Hockey East......does Merrimack, UMass-Lowell, Vermont or Providence spend more money on hockey than Maine?......I doubt it.
                          I bet UML and UVM spend a similar amount as Maine does. Maybe more. Similar sized schools, same athletic conference, no football teams to pay for. In 2013 Maine and Vermont were 184th and 185th in athletic expenditures in D-I, respectively, both at $16M+. UVM also doesn't have baseball, so the money they don't spend on football and baseball can't all be going to basketball. In 2013 UML only spent $10M+ compared to Maine and UVM's $16M+, but I bet that has shot up now that they are fully D-I. At that point, men's hockey was their only true D-I sport.

PC, who knows. The school as a whole spent $23M in 2013, $6M of that on basketball. The rest of PC's athletic program is probably at about a similar level to Maine and UVM, so that's $17M to spend. Probably a fairly similar amount on hockey as Maine.

Merrimack isn't fully D-I so they aren't on the site I was looking at.

Edited to add: Regardless, are these our peers now? I'd still like to be up there with the BU's, BC's and UNH's of the world.
                          Last edited by AMC; 03-16-2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
                            Actually, Paul Kariya wasn't one and done. He returned to UMaine for his sophomore year and then, as expected, he left in mid-season to join the Canadian Olympic team.

he didn't have a single teammate his sophomore season who could catch one of his sneaky passes, even cal had lost his ability to play with Paul... he might as well have stayed in BC
                            I was THERE when UMass the bottom ranked team in teh nation took it to the top ranked bears....maine stunk up th ejoint

Comment

Appears Ben Hutton has now signed with Vancouver. Expected to lose Devin, surprised to lose Ben to a certain extent. Think Ben has a ways to go on the D side, but has some nice potential. Think this speaks to some of Tim's guys not clicking with the new regime, which in the end is not a bad thing. Red needs to have his guys playing his style. We will need to see improvement next year! Year 3 has to be better than years 1 & 2.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                                Appears Ben Hutton has now signed with Vancouver. Expected to lose Devin, surprised to lose Ben to a certain extent. Think Ben has a ways to go on the D side, but has some nice potential. Think this speaks to some of Tim's guys not clicking with the new regime, which in the end is not a bad thing. Red needs to have his guys playing his style. We will need to see improvement next year! Year 3 has to be better than years 1 & 2.
                                I don't see either one having any real NHL career, but if it's going to be one or the other I'd shade towards Hutton.

Comment

Working...
                                X