Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXII: No Where To Go But Up!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXII: No Where To Go But Up!

Originally posted by Almington
    The next thread needs to be: Wisconsin Hockey: No Where To Go But Up!

Ok.

And we're off...
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXII: No Where To Go But Up!

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Ok.

And we're off...
    post script or addendum: "...with a new coach"
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

My last question from the old thread was basically "Having seen UND, BU, Tech, and MI all play at the KC now, how would you guys rank them?" if anyone cares to take a crack at it.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        My last question from the old thread was basically "Having seen UND, BU, Tech, and MI all play at the KC now, how would you guys rank them?" if anyone cares to take a crack at it.
        Hard to say for me. I was underwhelmed by BU, we beat Tech once, and all but quit for most of the Michigan series. So, UND, I guess.
        Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
        Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
        sigpic
        Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
        1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

I did something I've never done in my several decades of watching Badger hockey; I left after the first period horn. I used Eaves' words, "Enough is enough". I'm NOT a fair-weather fan. I've been thru' bad stretches of Badger hockey many times knowing they would come back. With this team, I don't see it.

Years ago, I quit analyzing games to enjoy them more. Maybe I'll start analyzing again for some entertainment. Isn't that what sports is all about....entertainment? Yes, it's college athletics and I don't blame the players. If I were offered a scholly I'd be the first one on the bus. We're not getting the right players and we're losing local great talent. I'm not an athletic director, I no longer coach or "scout" talent. I'm a passionate fan, Badger hockey especially, who sees this program quickly going down the toilet. I care; we ALL care. Otherwise we wouldn't post or read here.

I've got 2 more games in me this year, only because I never miss East Dakota and my daughter bought me a white out shirt for this weekend. After that, the shirt will be kindling and she'll have my tickets; that is if she takes them.

Time for a complete sweep of the program.

Thanks for letting me rant. The other "Old School" long time posters know EXACTLY what I mean.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
            I did something I've never done in my several decades of watching Badger hockey; I left after the first period horn. I used Eaves' words, "Enough is enough". I'm NOT a fair-weather fan. I've been thru' bad stretches of Badger hockey many times knowing they would come back. With this team, I don't see it.

Years ago, I quit analyzing games to enjoy them more. Maybe I'll start analyzing again for some entertainment. Isn't that what sports is all about....entertainment? Yes, it's college athletics and I don't blame the players. If I were offered a scholly I'd be the first one on the bus. We're not getting the right players and we're losing local great talent. I'm not an athletic director, I no longer coach or "scout" talent. I'm a passionate fan, Badger hockey especially, who sees this program quickly going down the toilet. I care; we ALL care. Otherwise we wouldn't post or read here.

I've got 2 more games in me this year, only because I never miss East Dakota and my daughter bought me a white out shirt for this weekend. After that, the shirt will be kindling and she'll have my tickets; that is if she takes them.

Thanks for letting me rant. The other "Old School" long time posters know EXACTLY what I mean.
            I'm with you. I have left games early this year too. We stuck through the second, but that was because my daughter wanted to stay that long.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

The decision to replace a reasonably successful head coach whose time has past is the hardest one for any Athletic Director to make, that is also why (at least partly) they are paid as much as they are. They are the CEO of a $100+ million dollar organization and they have to make the hard decisions. I hope that those who make the decision on Eaves future realize that the damage to the fan base from keeping Eaves on even one more season will take at LEAST a decade to fix. While casual fan apathy rises and falls with the success predictably as the tides, when faced with growing discontent from long-term invested and rabid fans that is a clear sign that something major beyond simple wins and losses is wrong. Its far easier to retain fans than it is to regain them, emotional bonds that die-hard fans feel are hard to rebuild once destroyed.

Comment

The misery must end at some point, right?
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  The misery must end at some point, right?
                  You're right. It must. Even someone as blind to hockey at BA is has to have lieutenants with balls and bean counters who are saying "we've got a problem here Barry". The season ticket holders are vaporizing, die-hard fans are near giving up, and even the UW_approved radio announcers can't hide their disgust.
                  Go Badgers!

Comment

OK, i'll chime in with my $0.02 of rambling

I like this team, I like the young group of guys that flash moments of talent. I like that they have shown that they can skate with any team in the country (just maybe not for a full 120 minutes yet).

We played #2 NoDak pretty even on Friday, played pretty well against Denver, put in a solid weekend against Ferris State, put together a good performance against #5 Michigan Tech on Saturday, put in a great performance against #2 Boston University on Friday, and played a great game at #13 Minnesota on Friday.

Yeah, it would be great to have more wins, and it would be great to have more good games result in wins, but I came into this season with low expectations and I'm able to see small victories in most of the games that I have seen. And yes, there are some games that are complete losses, Friday against MTU, Saturday against Boston University, Saturday against Minnesota, Saturday against Michigan...those were all pretty horrible games with not many good things to be seen.

It is frustrating, but I knew that this would be somewhat expected this year. You simply can't lose the amount of scoring that UW did and expect new players to step in and produce at the same level.

I like the coach, I like that he gets so invested in every moment of every game that he looks like he is moments away from giving himself a heart attack on the bench every night. I like that he adds something genuine to his press conferences, and that he doesn't spout out the same "we didn't perform in ABC phase of the game", "we need to work on XZY", and that he offers something different like "we're climbing a mountain", "we're turning the ship in the right direction", and "the puppies got out of the box and crapped on the carpet".

I like the general pattern that this team/coach seems to be in. I'm OK with one down year in every 4, and I'm OK with making the tournament 6 of 12 years (assuming we don't get a miracle at the end of the season and win the B1G tournament for the auto-bid). Yes, this year is an extreme swing of that pattern, but I think that having this core group of players and having them deal with this adversity together will yield big returns in the coming years.

I'm not going to leave games early, you never know when one of these talented young men might do something amazing.

I'm not going to give up my tickets (both nights) for the same reason.

It would sure be great to have a home record like we did last season when we were 17-2-1 at home, but it was never going to happen this year, and I'm OK with that.

To sum it up, I knew that a bad season was coming, and I'm not terribly shocked with where things are.

I don't think that there needs to be a coaching or administration change.

So go ahead, tell me how wrong I am, how naive I am, how this is the worst program in the country right now and nothing short of wiping the coaching staff out and replacing them (and please feel free to tell me what coach we should get and how they would provide different results) and how we should drop the 1/2 of the kids that we have on the roster right now to concentrate on in-state talent...but don't think that you'll change my mind with your arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      OK, i'll chime in with my $0.02 of rambling

I like this team, I like the young group of guys that flash moments of talent. I like that they have shown that they can skate with any team in the country (just maybe not for a full 120 minutes yet).

We played #2 NoDak pretty even on Friday, played pretty well against Denver, put in a solid weekend against Ferris State, put together a good performance against #5 Michigan Tech on Saturday, put in a great performance against #2 Boston University on Friday, and played a great game at #13 Minnesota on Friday.

Yeah, it would be great to have more wins, and it would be great to have more good games result in wins, but I came into this season with low expectations and I'm able to see small victories in most of the games that I have seen. And yes, there are some games that are complete losses, Friday against MTU, Saturday against Boston University, Saturday against Minnesota, Saturday against Michigan...those were all pretty horrible games with not many good things to be seen.

It is frustrating, but I knew that this would be somewhat expected this year. You simply can't lose the amount of scoring that UW did and expect new players to step in and produce at the same level.

I like the coach, I like that he gets so invested in every moment of every game that he looks like he is moments away from giving himself a heart attack on the bench every night. I like that he adds something genuine to his press conferences, and that he doesn't spout out the same "we didn't perform in ABC phase of the game", "we need to work on XZY", and that he offers something different like "we're climbing a mountain", "we're turning the ship in the right direction", and "the puppies got out of the box and crapped on the carpet".

I like the general pattern that this team/coach seems to be in. I'm OK with one down year in every 4, and I'm OK with making the tournament 6 of 12 years (assuming we don't get a miracle at the end of the season and win the B1G tournament for the auto-bid). Yes, this year is an extreme swing of that pattern, but I think that having this core group of players and having them deal with this adversity together will yield big returns in the coming years.

I'm not going to leave games early, you never know when one of these talented young men might do something amazing.

I'm not going to give up my tickets (both nights) for the same reason.

It would sure be great to have a home record like we did last season when we were 17-2-1 at home, but it was never going to happen this year, and I'm OK with that.

To sum it up, I knew that a bad season was coming, and I'm not terribly shocked with where things are.

I don't think that there needs to be a coaching or administration change.

So go ahead, tell me how wrong I am, how naive I am, how this is the worst program in the country right now and nothing short of wiping the coaching staff out and replacing them (and please feel free to tell me what coach we should get and how they would provide different results) and how we should drop the 1/2 of the kids that we have on the roster right now to concentrate on in-state talent...but don't think that you'll change my mind with your arguments.
                      oh boy, I am not on the same page is you at all. I am sure this is waste, but here goes.

One down year in every four? try 2 to 3 of every four. I have seen very few moments of hope in this years disaster. I am not seeing the freshman show signs of brilliance. In the 20th game of the year, they came out at home and didn't give an effort, and got annihilated like no Wisconsin team ever should. I don't care how many freshman, blah blah blah.

I have stated, my choice would be a guy like Mike Hastings, someone who has coached this age of kids, been successful in the USHL and turned around Mankato in three years.

I am glad you are enjoying going to the games. I don't, not this year, and the dump and not chase has run its course with me and the time for change is now.

If they keep him around next year, you can enjoy them with an even more empty kohl center each week.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                        oh boy, I am not on the same page is you at all. I am sure this is waste, but here goes.

One down year in every four? try 2 to 3 of every four. I have seen very few moments of hope in this years disaster. I am not seeing the freshman show signs of brilliance. In the 20th game of the year, they came out at home and didn't give an effort, and got annihilated like no Wisconsin team ever should. I don't care how many freshman, blah blah blah.

I have stated, my choice would be a guy like Mike Hastings, someone who has coached this age of kids, been successful in the USHL and turned around Mankato in three years.

I am glad you are enjoying going to the games. I don't, not this year, and the dump and not chase has run its course with me and the time for change is now.

If they keep him around next year, you can enjoy them with an even more empty kohl center each week.
                        Wrong.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Right!

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                            Wrong.
                            Please elaborate because we must be in different realities.

I'm ok with the occasional 0.500 team, but I will never be ok with a team that isnt competitive in half of its games.

I don't doubt the players talent, but in the wrong system that talent is completely wasted
                            Last edited by Almington; 01-26-2015, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              Please elaborate because we must be in different realities.

I'm ok with the occasional 0.500 team, but I will never be ok with a team that isnt competitive in half of its games.

I don't doubt the players talent, but in the wrong system that talent is completely wasted
                              UWs bad years are at worse, .500 teams. This season is just a bump. Miami had a dismal year like this last year or the year before. 13K at the Kohl Center Saturday is great for college hockey, I don't care what you say. The freshmen this year have underperformed, no doubting that. That's because they lack hockey smarts and size.

Also, I wouldn't have Hastings in my top 3. Granato, Johnson, Osiecki, and Gwoz would be before him.
                              Last edited by UWisco; 01-26-2015, 05:17 PM.
                              WISCONSIN BADGERS
                              NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                              WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                              WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                              B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                              Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Working...
                              X