X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Season Thread II: The Resurgence

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    i thought it was in.
    It WAS in. But...I'm assuming that since bodies were between the puck and the line so that you essentially had to extrapolate the line (since technically you couldn't see it beneath the puck), they ruled it "inconclusive." You could say "It was obvious by the position of the players that it HAD to be in," except that you can't say that, I guess.

On the delayed penalty...am I missing something? Did the rule change? What difference does it make if BU had possession? The referee's arm is up, so if it's a goal there's no penalty. If there's a whistle first, there's no goal. How can there be BOTH?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      On the delayed penalty...am I missing something? Did the rule change? What difference does it make if BU had possession? The referee's arm is up, so if it's a goal there's no penalty. If there's a whistle first, there's no goal. How can there be BOTH?
      The point is, when BU possesses the puck, the whistle is supposed to blow and the play is dead, therefore the goal never should've happened. The rule did change recently that goals scored on delayed penalties do not negate the penalty. But it never should've got that far. Everyone in the building could've clearly seen Oksanen control and play the puck after the arm was raised.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Holy crap, Northeastern just beat BC!

Comment

It WAS in. But...I'm assuming that since bodies were between the puck and the line so that you essentially had to extrapolate the line (since technically you couldn't see it beneath the puck), they ruled it "inconclusive." You could say "It was obvious by the position of the players that it HAD to be in," except that you can't say that, I guess.

Don't think a puck can deflect off someone arm and count. Also there was a hand pass right before the puck was shot into the net. Hummmm, Player should also be called for goalie interference. Remember the face-off was outside the zone after the goal was waved off; so, Harvard must of done something wrong. Many reason why the goal should not count.
          Go Terriers Go! BTW, I'm just another guy hiding behind a keyboard.

Comment

Exactly! Did anyone ask Quinn in the post game presser what explanation he was given? I would have expected a much greater argument from Quinn, maybe he did and the NESN camera didn't show him. Brickley mentioned that Oksanen didn't have control, but he was clearly trying to backhand it out of the zone and got good wood on it - it wasn't a deflection, he had control. If he didn't have control, how come there was no assist on the goal! I also read something that touching the puck wouldn't be reviewable, but surely one of the four officials saw it. They couldn't have gotten together to discuss it? Absolutely the worst call I have seen in 18 years following the team!

Also, on the lengthy review where a no goal was goal which would have put Harvard up 4-3, someone else wrote that the faceoff was outside the zone which to me indicates that the refs determined a crease violation. I believe crease violation is reviewable and if so, why did the review take so long? If BU pushed Harvard into the goalie, does that negate crease violation? Remember the entire puck needs to cross, and while the angle of the review appeared that it did, the ref was right on top of the original play and the angle of the review wasn't perfect. I'd probably be upset if I was a Harvard fan (only if BU pushing Harvard into goalie negates crease violation) but that offset the absolutely horrible call on Harvard's third goal.

Comment

Rule changed a few years back - if there is a delayed penalty and the team with the upcoming man advantage scores, they still get a power play.

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                The point is, when BU possesses the puck, the whistle is supposed to blow and the play is dead, therefore the goal never should've happened. The rule did change recently that goals scored on delayed penalties do not negate the penalty. But it never should've got that far. Everyone in the building could've clearly seen Oksanen control and play the puck after the arm was raised.
                Thanks. I understood the point. Obviously the whistle should have blown. I knew that we would have gotten the penalty if it had been. What I was asking about was the rule that allows BOTH the penalty and the goal. I didn't realize that the penalty is not negated when the goal is scored. That's what I meant when I said "Did I miss something?"

Comment

For those who don't get NESN: Didn’t learn this out until early in the BC-NU game, but this website carried a live stream of the TSN broadcast of last night’s games. BU’s schedule says TSN2 will broadcast the final on Monday night, so there’s a good chance this site will live stream it, too.
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Last night's BU-Harvard game was the longest ever Beanpot game, beating the 2005 NU-Harvard game by 17 seconds. Most of the earlier overtimes were 10-minute periods, which may cause some confusion.

BU is now 9-8 in Beanpot overtime games, but despite winning the most games and titles, BC holds the best overtime record:

BC 18-6
                    BU 9-8
                    HU 6-14
                    NU 7-12

It was also the 40th overtime game in the tournament (16% of all games as the BC-NU game was the 250th overall).

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      Last night's BU-Harvard game was the longest ever Beanpot game, beating the 2005 NU-Harvard game by 17 seconds. Most of the earlier overtimes were 10-minute periods, which may cause some confusion.

BU is now 9-8 in Beanpot overtime games, but despite winning the most games and titles, BC holds the best overtime record:

BC 18-6
                      BU 9-8
                      HU 6-14
                      NU 7-12

It was also the 40th overtime game in the tournament (16% of all games as the BC-NU game was the 250th overall).

Sean
                      Harvard fans from the '80s will argue with one of those BC w's, that consolation game in 1987 where Ken Hodge Jr. was credited with a goal that many felt went in after the buzzer of the first OT, the thought being there was pressure to get the championship game started.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                        Don't think a puck can deflect off someone arm and count.
                        That's not accurate. Don't think you can intentionally knock it in with your arm but if it just hits your arm and goes in, that's a goal.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                          Don't think a puck can deflect off someone arm and count.
                          IIRC that exact type of thing happened in the Pot maybe 10-15 years ago in a BC vs. BU tilt. It appeared that a BU shot from the point was sailing well wide and hit the elbow cap of an unsuspecting Terrier and went flying right in to the net (maybe past Clemmensen?). It's a good goal.

edit - congrats on the win last night fellas.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            Harvard fans from the '80s will argue with one of those BC w's, that consolation game in 1987 where Ken Hodge Jr. was credited with a goal that many felt went in after the buzzer of the first OT, the thought being there was pressure to get the championship game started.
                            I was at that game and I though the horn sounded before the puck went in the net. As it was the end of the single overtime period to be played I don't think there was any pressure on the refs.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              I was at that game and I though the horn sounded before the puck went in the net. As it was the end of the single overtime period to be played I don't think there was any pressure on the refs.

Sean
                              Wasn't that Lenny's. 500th? #UnderPressure
                              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                                Sean - what do you mean? Were they going to award a tie if they didn't allow that goal? To my knowledge, they have never done so in the history of the tournament.
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X