Ohio State @ St. Cloud State 1/9 - 1/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ St. Cloud State 1/9 - 1/10

The Buckeyes travel to St. Cloud this weekend on a four-game win street with a couple of road sweeps at Bemidji State and Penn State. It continues to be scoring by committee as eight different players notched goals for Ohio State in its recent sweep at Penn State. The Buckeyes have been solid at the blue line and in net, giving up just two goals in those last four in a 2-1 win at Bemidji to go with a 2-0 shutout, and a 3-1 win over Penn State followed by a 6-0 win. Redshirt-junior goaltender Stacy Danczak got the shutout at Bemidji and freshman goaltender Kassidy Sauve got the shutout yesterday at Penn State. Can the Buckeyes stay hot vs the Huskies? Time will tell as Huskies goaltender Julie Friend has been difficult for the Bucks to score on at times. The two teams split in Columbus earlier this season with St. Cloud taking Friday's game 4-2. The Buckeyes outshot St. Cloud 45-19 in that game but it did not matter as Friend stopped 43 of those shots and the Huskies scored on four of those shots. The Bucks bounced back in Saturday's game with a 3-0 win. The shots on goal in that one were more even at 28-18 (OSU advantage), but freshman goaltender Kassidy Sauve earned her third shutout of her young career to help Ohio State get a split. Ohio State currently sets in 4th place in the WCHA with 24 points, although four of the teams in the league have only played 14 games to the Bucks 16, so the standings are a bit skewed at this point. St. Cloud is one of the teams that has played two less games, and they are currently in 7th place with 11 points. Husky fans, what are your thoughts on your team so far, and how do you see this series playing out? I expect the usual tough, gritty effort from the Huskies. There are no nights off in the WCHA, especially on the road.

Re: Ohio State @ St. Cloud State 1/9 - 1/10

Under the new coaching staff of HC Eric Rud and assistants Jinelle Siergiej and Steve Macdonald, the Huskies are playing better this year than in years past. Two imports from Providence (Illikainen and Slattery) have improved the forwards and the defenders. The renovation project of bringing SCSU to respectable levels will be a slow one, but one that has started.

I said before the series in Columbus that the Huskies always seem to grab a victory somehow from the Buckeyes. You are right--SCSU goaltending has been the one bright spot over the past few years--namely, senior Julie Friend. The more games backup Katie Fitzgerald gets, the better she seems to play.

Now, of course, it seems your Buckeyes are on a hot streak. Always fun to see these contests. Effort from both sides is seldom an issue. Two tough games--hoping the Huskies can again grab at least one victory.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      Time will tell as Huskies goaltender Julie Friend has been difficult for the Bucks to score on at times. The two teams split in Columbus earlier this season with St. Cloud taking Friday's game 4-2. The Buckeyes outshot St. Cloud 45-19 in that game but it did not matter as Friend stopped 43 of those shots and the Huskies scored on four of those shots.
      It's always a privilege to compete against Julie Friend.

Ohio State currently sets in 4th place in the WCHA with 24 points, although four of the teams in the league have only played 14 games to the Bucks 16, so the standings are a bit skewed at this point
      Both BSU & UND have played 16. So to the extent you're focusing specifically on 4th, we can legitimately claim a small lead on the teams immediately behind us.

Originally posted by The Boomer
      Always fun to see these contests. Effort from both sides is seldom an issue.
      Agreed. While I'm obviously hoping for a Buckeye sweep, it will be a great show regardless.

Comment

Thanks, as always, for your contributions Boomer and Pgb! No offense to the talented Ms. Friend, but I am really glad she is a senior!

Comment

Round 1 goes to the Buckeyes. Apparently a very competitive game at 2-1, plus an empty-netter.

The thing most noticeable item in the boxscore is that OSU held SCSU to only 2 shots on goal in the third period. Sounds like the Buckeye 'D' did a great job of locking things down and protecting the lead.

Would obviously be interested in any eyewitness accounts...

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Round 1 goes to the Buckeyes. Apparently a very competitive game at 2-1, plus an empty-netter.

The thing most noticeable item in the boxscore is that OSU held SCSU to only 2 shots on goal in the third period. Sounds like the Buckeye 'D' did a great job of locking things down and protecting the lead.

Would obviously be interested in any eyewitness accounts...
            Yes, a competitive game thanks for the most part of the effort of Julie Friend. Huskies survived period one down only one. Second period had a renewed Husky squad that actually outshot the Buckeyes 10-7, tying the game at one each. With about 2 minutes to play in the period, the Huskies coughed up the puck right in front of the net, and Julia McKinnon tapped in the winning goal. Yes, the Huskies could only muster 2 shots on net in the third period, and yes, the Buckeyes played a smothering defensive style.

I would give McKinnon #1 star, Kayla Sullivan and Kari Schmitt #2 stars, and Julie Friend #3 star. Tomorrow's another day--and another double header at the Brooks Center!

(At least the men Huskies were victorious this evening with a squeaker over another Ohio team (Miami), 3-1.)
            Last edited by The Boomer; 01-10-2015, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
              I would give McKinnon #1 star, Kayla Sullivan and Kari Schmitt #2 stars, and Julie Friend #3 star.
              Now you're talking my language. Thanks for the reply.

Tomorrow's another day--and another double header at the Brooks Center!
              Looks like special teams were the story in the rematch?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Now you're talking my language. Thanks for the reply.

Looks like special teams were the story in the rematch?
                I would agree special teams played a big part in today's game. The Buckeyes were 2/8 on the pp and St. Cloud was 0/5 on their pp. Ohio State completed the sweep with a 4-0 win today. Goals were scored by Kari Schmitt (2), Julia McKinnon, and Kendall Curtis. Freshman netminder Kassidy Sauve notched her fifth shutout of the season and earned 17 saves. Katie Fitzgerald had 20 stops for the Huskies. Ohio State outshot the Huskies 24-17. After six consecutive road games, Ohio State returns to home ice for a big series with North Dakota next weekend. Earlier this season, the Buckeyes gained 2/6 points at North Dakota with a shootout win and a loss. The Bucks will be looking to improve on that this weekend. Ohio State currently sets in third place in the WCHA with 30 points.

Comment

*sigh* OK, here is the eyewitness account of the game today. Not many shots considering all the power play opportunities--OSU had 8 PP's and SCSU had 5. The officiating was "iffy" at best, and turned a decent game into a bit of chippy play by the second half. Hard day for the women to concentrate on hockey with reviews, arguments, disputed goals, etc.

Comments: The Huskies have a long way to go to become "competitive." I just realized that next year's squad will have some hopeful newcomers, but the sad news is the Huskies will be without goalie Julie Friend and defender Audrey Hanmer. These have been the best two players for the past 3-4 seasons and will be hard to replace.

Ohio State had some troubles early in the season, but play as a cohesive unit with good defense and good puck movement and scoring opportunities on offense.

The official 3 stars named today were #3 Kassidy Sauve, #2 Danielle Gagne, and #1 Kari Schmitt. Schmitt had two goals and played a strong defensive game. No objections from this end--all deserved the stars.

Well, maybe even with a shutout, Sauve really wasn't tested much more than a few good chances by our intrepid Huskies. I would have split the #3 star between Julia McKinnon and Claudia Kepler.

With the score 1-0 OSU and with about 5 minutes left in the second period, Kepler had the puck on a 2 on 1 break. Some nifty moves and a great feed to McKinnon breaking towards the net resulted in a beaut of a goal. They both had good games, but this one play earned them at least an honorable mention. (pgb, did you like the part where I even threw in the "honorable mention?"

The final tally was 4-0 OSU, but the game basically was over with the McKinnon goal. OSU looks like they are clicking on all cylinders at the moment and they played well on this weekend. Good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

This game was very boring to me, uninspired play, emotionless

Comment

Working...
                    X