Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award

The selection criteria:

An award of The USA Hockey Foundation, the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award is presented annually to the top player in NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey. Other selection criteria include outstanding individual and team skills, sportsmanship, performance in the clutch, personal character, competitiveness and a love of hockey. Consideration is also given to academic achievement and civic involvement

Does anyone know if there is any access to the results of the process? A point system? Or? There has been a lot of super athletes presented for selection over the years and it would be very interesting to hear why one was selected over the other.

Re: The Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award

Carpenter.

It's a battle for 2nd place.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Current odds out of Vegas:

Carpenter -1000
      Skarupa +500
      Brandt +600

Field: +500

Comment

They are all great athletes, how do they rank in the other categories?
        Conversely, if these athletes played for RIT, UNION, VERMONT or Minnesota State, would those numbers stand? Same great athlete but not much to work with? Would they still be at the top of the pile?

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Current odds out of Vegas:

Carpenter -1000
        Skarupa +500
        Brandt +600

Field: +500

Comment

Originally posted by YabaDabaDoo View Post
          Conversely, if these athletes played for RIT, UNION, VERMONT or Minnesota State, would those numbers stand?
          I wouldn't lump those four teams into the same category, specifically Vermont. The Catamounts have Amanda Pelkey and Brittany Zuback, who have proven to be more productive than anyone on the other three rosters.

If you moved any of those top three players onto an offensively challenged roster, obviously, they wouldn't score as much as they do now. However, neither would those teams lose as often as they currently do. Difference makers by definition make a difference in the standings.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I just picked the last place team in each league with out regard to who was on the particular team. I was by no means attempting to disparage any of the athletes. If you go back and look at all or most of the Kaz recipients and those in the top 10 it seems that they all or mostly came from teams at the top with multiple top athletes and was trying to juxtapose the situation.
            As to your response regarding raising the team up, would that get them to the spot they are now? Or would they be looked upon as just another really good player?
            Originally posted by ARM View Post
            I wouldn't lump those four teams into the same category, specifically Vermont. The Catamounts have Amanda Pelkey and Brittany Zuback, who have proven to be more productive than anyone on the other three rosters.

If you moved any of those top three players onto an offensively challenged roster, obviously, they wouldn't score as much as they do now. However, neither would those teams lose as often as they currently do. Difference makers by definition make a difference in the standings.
            Last edited by YabaDabaDoo; 01-05-2015, 04:30 PM.

Comment

they all or mostly came from teams at the top
              one of the criteria is leadership, by definition, a player who is a leader on a top team would win out over a player on a bottom team, all else being equal

to be nominated requires 2 coaches to nominate you, I don't know if your own coach can, coaches then vote on the nominees to winnow it down to 10, and the top 10 are again voted on by coaches to get it down to 3, a committee selects the winner from these 3
              Last edited by pokechecker; 01-05-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

It would seem that that is the case, I'm troubled by the process "But don't have a solution"
                as it might be cause for the top players to never take a chance with a struggling team. Even the idea of going to play for such a team hoping to try and be a part of a catalyst to make women's hockey more competitive would surely ware off and then you would see a transfer request.

it's not only the Kaz, but the All American selection and the weekly and monthly awards as well I think.

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                one of the criteria is leadership, by definition, a player who is a leader on a top team would win out over a player on a bottom team, all else being equal

to be nominated requires 2 coaches to nominate you, I don't know if your own coach can, coaches then vote on the nominees to winnow it down to 10, and the top 10 are again voted on by coaches to get it down to 3, a committee selects the winner from these 3

Comment

It would seem that that is the case, I'm troubled by the process "But don't have a solution"
                  as it might be cause for the top players to never take a chance with a struggling team. Even the idea of going to play for such a team hoping to try and be a part of a catalyst to make women's hockey more competitive would surely ware off and then you would see a transfer request.

it's not only the Kaz, but the All American selection and the weekly and monthly awards as well I think.
                  Idk, what about Jincy Dunne?

Comment

The Lams went to NoDak and one of them was a top 10 finalist senior year. By then they had turned their team into a contender. Of course, that's 2 people, but yes, I think that was good for women's hockey.

What about Phoebe Staenz in two years?

Comment

Ohio State is not a bottom dweller but rather a 500+ team and a new program, having said that, Amanda Pelkey went to Vermont to give back! Had she gone to a BC or? Who knows?

What I would like to be considered is the athlete that goes to a struggling team, stays and continues to do better each season rather than throwing in the towel or transferring to a winning program.

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      Idk, what about Jincy Dunne?

Comment

What I would like to be considered is the athlete that goes to a struggling team, stays and continues to do better each season rather than throwing in the towel or transferring to a winning program.
                        Let's keep an eye on Sam Donovan at Brown.

Comment

Staenz is a very good player as well, Yale's program has been doing increasingly better and there are several players on that team who are significant contributors! It also helps having name recognition as an Olympian.

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                          The Lams went to NoDak and one of them was a top 10 finalist senior year. By then they had turned their team into a contender. Of course, that's 2 people, but yes, I think that was good for women's hockey.

What about Phoebe Staenz in two years?

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                            Let's keep an eye on Sam Donovan at Brown.
                            I'm sure that she is a good player on a weak team (although only the 3rd leading scorer), but come on ... really .... you think a kid from Brown is going to win a Kazmaier? Aubree Moore SHOULD have been a legitimate contender for the Kazmaier because she stood on her head 25-30 games a season on a team that was just really really bad every season she was there. She didn't even get a mention. Be real.

Also, she is a freshman like Annie Pankowski, Kelly Pannek, and Kenzie Kent who are all top 4 scorers for national contenders. Can she win against these players? Sorry ... won't even make a top 10 list.

If everyone's really looking for a dark horse candidate on a bad team, goalie is always a good place to look. Union has Shenae Lundberg - similar to Moore, she should be a candidate this year since anything that Union has accomplished has largely been on her back this season. But it isn't going to happen either.

Players who are going to be candidates for the Kazmaier want to win. They know they are going to play anywhere they go. They generally pick school's that are continuously successful. So the small group of school's the candidates always come from will continue until they start having less long term success. The Amanda Pelkey's of the world (however admirable for their decision to support their home state school even though they were historically very bad) won't be serious Kazmaier contenders. The Lamoreaux's were an exception, but remember that they started at UM...
                            Last edited by HockeyEast33; 01-05-2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                              I'm sure that she is a good player on a weak team (although only the 3rd leading scorer), but come on ... really .... you think a kid from Brown is going to win a Kazmaier? Aubree Moore SHOULD have been a legitimate contender for the Kazmaier because she stood on her head 25-30 games a season on a team that was just really really bad every season she was there. She didn't even get a mention. Be real.

Also, she is a freshman like Annie Pankowski, Kelly Pannek, and Kenzie Kent who are all top 4 scorers for national contenders. Can she win against these players? Sorry ... won't even make a top 10 list.
                              Of course not even in the conversation for this year. But I'm going along with YabaDabaDoo mentioning her as a good player who joins a weak team. If she has 7 goals as a freshman at this point in the season for Brown, how many goals could she have for one of those elite teams? If she stays and if she gets better every year could potentially make an impact. I think if she wasn't 5'2" she would have been recruited by a Wisconsin or BC or UM. That is potentially the kind of scenario where a kid could end up at Brown and be a top 10 finalist by her senior year.

Comment

Working...
                              X