Coaching Change at USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Change at USM

It was announced on the USMHuskies Twitter feed that Jeff Beaney has stepped down and Ed harding, former coach and GM of the Lewiston Maniacs will finish the season. I do hope that all is well with Jeff.

Re: Coaching Change at USM

The Press Herald
    http://www.pressherald.com/2014/12/3...eaney-resigns/
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Been waiting for this to pop up...Well Beaney is fine, well I guess as could be be under the circumstances, but USM will NEVER have a winning hockey program until the whole university commits to it....I am a pretty well respected poster on this site, so please no cheap shots and guessing what happened...I am pretty freaking devastated to tell you the truth...
      Last edited by hockeyfan77; 01-01-2015, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
        Been waiting for this to pop up...Well Beaney is fine, well I guess as could be be under the circumstances, but USM will NEVER have a winning hockey program until the whole university commits to it....I am a pretty well respected poster on this site, so please no cheap shots and guessing what happened...I am pretty freaking devastated to tell you the truth...
        My best to Coach Beaney ... he was always a class act in our dealings when he played Norwich ... wish him all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
          My best to Coach Beaney ... he was always a class act in our dealings when he played Norwich ... wish him all the best.
          Ridiculous to fire someone in the middle of a season for losing record. Hard on players to adjust to someone new now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyfirst View Post
            Ridiculous to fire someone in the middle of a season for losing record. Hard on players to adjust to someone new now.
            This is what happens when you have an academic who has likely never participated in sports in charge of a University.

http://bangordailynews.com/link/poli...ef=regionstate

Comment

I find this to be disgusting to treat a long time employee who has shaped the lives of young men for this university. I do not have a dog in this fight, however Division III athletics is more about providing a quality education while having the experience of participating in collegiate athletics. I question the motivation behind this "retirement". The Coach should have been able to at least finish out the season.
              What exactly did this accomplish for the university other than giving them a "black eye"?
              Last edited by Saints17; 01-03-2015, 02:22 PM.
              LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

To a certain point this decision is against the basic philosophy of Division 3 athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                  I find this to be disgusting to treat a long time employee who has shaped the lives of young men for this university. I do not have a dog in this fight, however Division III athletics is more about providing a quality education while having the experience of participating in collegiate athletics. I question the motivation behind this "retirement". The Coach should have been able to at least finish out the season.
                  What exactly did the accomplish for the university other than giving them a "black eye"?
                  Agree 100% with everything you just said! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                    To a certain point this decision is against the basic philosophy of Division 3 athletics.
                    I think its pretty clear from the article I posted that this isn't about winning or losing. Someone, in all likelihood a parent, sent an anonymous letter to the President which I'm sure contained some kind of accusation or whining or fabrication based on little Johnny wasn't playing or whatever the case may be.

Either this went to the AD first and the AD decided it was ridiculous and without merit, or it went over the AD's head and straight to the President...in either case it tells you everything you need to know about this President's supposed leadership to rush to this decision without doing any kind of factfinding.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                      I think its pretty clear from the article I posted that this isn't about winning or losing. Someone, in all likelihood a parent, sent an anonymous letter to the President which I'm sure contained some kind of accusation or whining or fabrication based on little Johnny wasn't playing or whatever the case may be.

Either this went to the AD first and the AD decided it was ridiculous and without merit, or it went over the AD's head and straight to the President...in either case it tells you everything you need to know about this President's supposed leadership to rush to this decision without doing any kind of factfinding.

Everybody around here knows who sent the letter... or it went over the AD's head and straight to the President this is correct

Comment

Whenever parents and players influence administrators over the AD's head to fire a coach it's a travesty, but it does reflect how society today has become so backwards with trying to please the customer to such a ridiculous degree. The reality is the customer is NOT always right and that applies to college athletics as well. The entitlement issues in our society are causing more long-term harm than good. We are no longer teaching today's youth that they have to go out and work hard to earn their lot in life with no guarantees of success. Sadly, this generation is growing up feeling that they are owed something just for showing up. They expect immediate success to be handed to them on a silver platter and it's just so backwards. It used to be that kids were afraid of their teachers potentially giving them poor grades if they didn't do the work properly and by the due date. Now the teachers in society have learned the hard way that they need to be afraid of ruffling little Johnny's feathers because he/his parents might complain to administration or they might write a bad review on some website or on an anonymous assessment. It's so absurdly twisted it's really not funny at all. How can teachers, professors, and coaches do their jobs the right way when their "customers" have learned how to get their way by going over their heads until they get someone to listen to them. It's a terrible situation and I feel for all coaches like Mr. Beaney who have suffered this terrible fate while doing their jobs properly and I wish him and them all the best. They are better off not working for bosses with no backbones that are afraid to stand up to whining parents. Those administrators are the ones that don't deserve to keep their jobs.
                        Last edited by shelfit; 01-03-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          Whenever parents and players influence administrators over the AD's head to fire a coach it's a travesty, but it does reflect how society today has become so backwards with trying to please the customer to such a ridiculous degree. The reality is the customer is NOT always right and that applies to college athletics as well. The entitlement issues in our society are causing more long-term harm than good. We are no longer teaching today's youth that they have to go out and work hard to earn their lot in life with no guarantees of success. Sadly, this generation is growing up feeling that they are owed something just for showing up. They expect immediate success to be handed to them on a silver platter and it's just so backwards. It used to be that kids were afraid of their teachers potentially giving them poor grades if they didn't do the work properly and by the due date. Now the teachers in society have learned the hard way that they need to be afraid of ruffling little Johnny's feathers because he/his parents might complain to administration or they might write a bad review on some website or on an anonymous assessment. It's so absurdly twisted it's really not funny at all. How can teachers, professors, and coaches do their jobs the right way when their "customers" have learned how to get their way by going over their heads until they get someone to listen to them. It's a terrible situation and I feel for all coaches like Mr. Beaney who have suffered this terrible fate while doing their jobs properly and I wish him and them all the best. They are better off not working for bosses with no backbones that are afraid to stand up to whining parents. Those administrators are the ones that don't deserve to keep their jobs.
                          Only way any letter could be justified, if it involved the safety of players.

Comment

After many years of upstanding service, I don't think so. I love it when coaches have established themselves somewhere and all of a sudden they are out of a job. It's not as though the coaches suddenly change who they are and how they operate. It's the sign of the times we live in. One bad apple (unhappy player/parent) can truly spoil the barrel. In so many cases these days coaches lose their jobs because of low quality kids who are only going to be around for 4 years, if they last that long in the program.

Comment

Id argue that even in that case it should go directly to the AD first.

Comment

Working...
                              X