Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2015 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    So do Minnesota and North Dakota get "screwed over" frequently too?
    15 teams get screwed over each year.
    Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
    ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
      Mark my words, the committee is going to find a way to screw BU over and put BC in the same region... nine years later.
      Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      So do Minnesota and North Dakota get "screwed over" frequently too?
      That is kind of funny, isn't it. Twice poor BU has had to be in the same region as BC. Heck, UND has been in the same region as BC twice over that same period.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        PWR as of today

1. Minnesota State
        2 North Dakota
        3 Boston University
        4 Nebraska-Omaha
        5 Minnesota-Duluth
        6 Michigan Tech
        7 Miami
        8 Bowling Green
        9 Denver
        10 Providence
        11 Boston College
        12 Michigan
        13t Quinnipiac
        13t Minnesota
        15 Massachusetts-Lowell
        16 Harvard
        PWR remains the same as of today. I would have the following brackets:

Midwest Regional - South Bend, IN (BI = 36)
        1. Minnesota State vs. 16. Robert Morris
        7. Miami vs. 12. Michigan

West Regional - Fargo, ND (BI = 31...yikes!)
        2. North Dakota vs. 14. Minnesota
        6. Michigan Tech vs. 9. Denver

East Regional - Providence, RI (BI = 34)
        3. Boston University vs. 13. Quinnipiac
        8. Bowling Green vs. 10. Providence

Northeast Regional - Manchester, NH (BI = 35)
        4. Nebraska Omaha vs. 15. Massachusetts Lowell
        5. Minnesota Duluth vs. 11. Boston College

Not great brackets for "bracket integrity" (BI should equal 34), but tremendous brackets for attendance. With Miami and Michigan in South Bend, there should be good attendance there. Fargo doesn't need any help, but scalper prices will be off the charts with North Dakota and Minnesota. Providence will be solid with BU, Quinnipiac, and Providence there. Manchester should be a-okay with Lowell and BC in the mix.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Not great brackets for "bracket integrity" (BI should equal 34), but tremendous brackets for attendance. With Miami and Michigan in South Bend, there should be good attendance there. Fargo doesn't need any help, but scalper prices will be off the charts with North Dakota and Minnesota. Providence will be solid with BU, Quinnipiac, and Providence there. Manchester should be a-okay with Lowell and BC in the mix.
          The west regional thread on here would be a true masterpiece if that's how it played out.

I'm all for it.

Comment

The old WCHA Regional.
            "My greatest achievement."
            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

How in the hell did you get to that bracket? Why would Michigan Tech, Bowling Green Miami not be with their appropriate #1 seed?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                How in the hell did you get to that bracket? Why would Michigan Tech, Bowling Green Miami not be with their appropriate #1 seed?
                Start off with straight seeding, placing hosts then top seeds closest to home...

South Bend
                8. Bowling Green vs. 9. Denver

Fargo
                2. North Dakota vs. 15. Massachusetts Lowell
                7. Miami vs. 10. Providence

Providence
                3. Boston University vs. 14. Minnesota
                6. Michigan Tech vs. 11. Boston College

Manchester
                4. Nebraska Omaha vs. 13. Quinnipiac
                5. Minnesota Duluth vs. 12. Michigan

Intra-conference issues? No.
                Attendance issues? Yes. If I'm the committee, I want to do everything in my power to: (1) Get Michigan to South Bend and (2) Get Providence to Providence. We have BC in Providence, but if at all possible, we went to keep them out east. Denver is a flight anywhere, so let's temporarily move them to Fargo. With those changes we now have:

South Bend
                8. Bowling Green vs. 12. Michigan

Fargo
                7. Miami vs. 9. Denver

Providence
                6. Michigan Tech vs. 10. Providence

Manchester

Intra-conference issues? Yes. Now we have Miami vs. Denver. Miami would help out South Bend quite a bit (and save the committee a flight), so let's swap Miami and Bowling Green. That gives us:

South Bend

Fargo

Providence

Manchester

Intra-conference issues? No.
                Attendance issues? Shouldn't be.

So, what other changes could be done to perhaps save some flights? Well, Minnesota out East doesn't make any sense when they can go to Fargo. If we do a straight swap, we get an intra-conference matchup, but that can be easily avoided by moving Quinnpiac to Providence and Lowell to Manchester (also helps with attendance). With those changes we get:

South Bend

Fargo

Providence

Manchester

This bracket is a feasible bracket for maximizing attendance, but I swapped Bowling Green and Michigan Tech. Tech is just outside of 400 miles from Fargo, but it is close enough for me to swap the two schools. Plus, I think placing Bowling Green out east would help out attendance more than Michigan Tech. After making that change I came up with:

Midwest Regional - South Bend, IN

West Regional - Fargo, ND

East Regional - Providence, RI

Northeast Regional - Manchester, NH

To me, this bracket maximizes attendance, and I think that is what the committee is primarily concerned about.
                North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                  The old WCHA Regional.
                  What's crazy is that 9 of the 16 teams would be either former or current WCHA members.
                  North Dakota

Comment

What's crazy is that 9 of the 16 teams would be either former or current WCHA members.
                    Which is awesome, but makes me wish the Final Five could bring everyone together again. Thankfully, the Final Five will still have extremely good hockey, just less people.
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14
                      Makes you smile a little, doesn't it?
                      Makes me sad that all the shifting happened. Of course, had the shifting not happened, my guess is that certain schools that are currently in the mix would be on the outside looking in. One of the benefits of the shift is that it has helped schools like Bowling Green and Michigan Tech to rise back up to prominence. Provided they don't play my team or the NCHC, I wish nothing but the best for those schools...nice to see them back in the mix.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Intra-conference issues? Yes. Now we have Miami vs. Denver. Miami would help out South Bend quite a bit (and save the committee a flight), so let's swap Miami and Bowling Green. That gives us:
                        Let's just look at this...how does swapping Bowling Green for Miami save the committee a flight? Do you know where Bowling Green is? It's closer to south bend than miami...
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Let's just look at this...how does swapping Bowling Green for Miami save the committee a flight? Do you know where Bowling Green is? It's closer to south bend than miami...
                          I am aware of where Bowling Green and Miami are. My main point was that if Denver is in Fargo, Miami cannot be. You do know that they are both in the NCHC?

I suppose you could have Bowling Green vs. Michigan in South Bend, Miami vs. Providence in Providence, and Michigan Tech vs. Denver in Fargo. Personally, I think Miami would help attendance in South Bend more than Bowling Green, but perhaps the committee would see it otherwise.
                          North Dakota

Comment

it doesn't.
                            and BG's home attendance is better than Miami State's this season. BG to South Bend is a no-brainer.
                            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                              it doesn't.
                              and BG's home attendance is better than Miami State's this season. BG to South Bend is a no-brainer.
                              Miami's attendance is also limited by the size of their building. Bowling Green fills 56% of their building. Miami fills 83% of their building. The raw averages are separated by less than 200 people.
                              North Dakota

Comment

I am aware of where Bowling Green and Miami are. My main point was that if Denver is in Fargo, Miami cannot be. You do know that they are both in the NCHC?

I suppose you could have Bowling Green vs. Michigan in South Bend, Miami vs. Providence in Providence, and Michigan Tech vs. Denver in Fargo. Personally, I think Miami would help attendance in South Bend more than Bowling Green, but perhaps the committee would see it otherwise.
                                And you created Miami vs Denver by forcing other matchups that you think are favorable...not the natural bracket. As much as I don't care for MTU going East, Moy's bracket makes more sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X