Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2015 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
    Moy has correctly picked the field every year - so basically he can read the pairwise, just like everyone else. His actually bracket is usually pretty close, but he's certainly not perfect there.

Wodon's final prediction from CHN is up.
    He's keeping Mankato in South Bend.
    Nice of Wodon to quote me without quoting me

There's a line of thinking that, because of this, Miami could be in South Bend to help attendance there, and Minnesota State is flying no matter what. I don't think that will happen. I think these are the four No. 1 seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
      Moy has correctly picked the field every year - so basically he can read the pairwise, just like everyone else. His actually bracket is usually pretty close, but he's certainly not perfect there.

Wodon's final prediction from CHN is up.
      He's keeping Mankato in South Bend.
      I agree with Wodon. I came up with the same pairings except I had Manchester and Providence groups switched.
      "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
        I agree with Wodon. I came up with the same pairings except I had Manchester and Providence groups switched.
        Can't wait to see if attendance in South Bend can drop below even the B1G tournament! (actual attendance, not announced attendance. that's a bunch of crap)

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
          I had MIA in SB, and MSU going east, due to "it's still a flight" reasoning. Tech fans are obviously P1SSED right now.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Looking further, I actually see 3 good possibilitis. Well, more actually.

Like Priceless, I think that the committee's public statements in regard to possibly going back to some on-campus playoffs means that they are concerned with the atmosphere of the regionals. Therefore, I am going to work on the idea that Miami plays at South Bend, because there is no other local draw.

Also, being from Minnesota, I am not sure how choose between Manchester and Providence, so I am going to guess here.

Manchester: 1-MSUM v 16-RIT; 8-Omaha v 9-Harvard.
            This piece stays the same in all brackets.

Then, A: Fargo: 2-NoDak v 15-PC; 7-MTU v 12-SCSU
            South Bend: 4-Miami v 13-Yale; 5-Denver v 10-Minny
            Providence: 3-BU v 14-Quinny; 6-UMD v 11-BC

or, B: Fargo: 2-NoDak v 15-PC; 7-MTU v 12-SCSU
            South Bend: 4-Miami v 13-Yale; 6-UMD v 10-Minny
            Providence: 3-BU v 14-Quinny; 5-Denver v 11-BC

or, C: Fargo: 2-NoDak v 15-PC; 6-UMD v 10-Minny
            South Bend: 4-Miami v 13-Yale; 7-MTU v 12-SCSU

Choice C has the fewest flights, but also the least bracket integrity because 4 and 7 are in the same bracket. A and B have the same number of flights. I think it's possible a few UMD fans might make it to South Bend rather than Denver fans. So, in some ways, I see advantage to B. But, A has the 1/8, 2/7, 3/6, 4/5 thing going for it.

Ultimately, I am less sure what the committee might do this year than ever.

Comment

Numbers: being from MN, I likened the Manch/Prov for BU/BC like St Cloud and Mankato to Minnesotans. We can't explain it, it's a culture thing, but St Cloud would be the favorite, as you easterners (from what I gathered) favor Manch.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

My guess. Preserves top 8 intact. #1 overall gets #16. Keeps St. Cloud from playing a conference opponent in first round. Attendance is as good as possible and travel to a minimum.

South Bend:
                1. Minnesota State vs. 16. Rochester Institute of Technology
                8. Omaha vs.10. Minnesota

Fargo:
                2 North Dakota vs.14. Quinnipiac
                7 Michigan Tech vs. 12.St. Cloud

Manchester:
                3 Boston University vs. 13. Yale
                6 Minnesota-Duluth vs. 9. Harvard

Providence:
                4 Miami vs. 15. Providence
                5 Denver vs. 11.Boston College

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                  Looking further, I actually see 3 good possibilitis. Well, more actually.

Like Priceless, I think that the committee's public statements in regard to possibly going back to some on-campus playoffs means that they are concerned with the atmosphere of the regionals. Therefore, I am going to work on the idea that Miami plays at South Bend, because there is no other local draw.

Also, being from Minnesota, I am not sure how choose between Manchester and Providence, so I am going to guess here.

This piece stays the same in all brackets.

Then, A: Fargo: 2-NoDak v 15-PC; 7-MTU v 12-SCSU
                  South Bend: 4-Miami v 13-Yale; 5-Denver v 10-Minny
                  Providence: 3-BU v 14-Quinny; 6-UMD v 11-BC

or, B: Fargo: 2-NoDak v 15-PC; 7-MTU v 12-SCSU
                  South Bend: 4-Miami v 13-Yale; 6-UMD v 10-Minny

or, C: Fargo: 2-NoDak v 15-PC; 6-UMD v 10-Minny
                  South Bend: 4-Miami v 13-Yale; 7-MTU v 12-SCSU

Choice C has the fewest flights, but also the least bracket integrity because 4 and 7 are in the same bracket. A and B have the same number of flights. I think it's possible a few UMD fans might make it to South Bend rather than Denver fans. So, in some ways, I see advantage to B. But, A has the 1/8, 2/7, 3/6, 4/5 thing going for it.

Ultimately, I am less sure what the committee might do this year than ever.
                  I really hope they go with C but I doubt it.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Numbers: being from MN, I likened the Manch/Prov for BU/BC like St Cloud and Mankato to Minnesotans. We can't explain it, it's a culture thing, but St Cloud would be the favorite, as you easterners (from what I gathered) favor Manch.
                    I like Providence more than Manchester in terms of cities...Prov is more of a little Boston while Manchester is interesting and not as good to visit but great rink
                    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                      I like Providence more than Manchester in terms of cities...Prov is more of a little Boston while Manchester is interesting and not as good to visit but great rink
                      Maybe that "great rink" is what swayed them? Just taking a stab. SCSU's and MSU's rinks are both horrible, although SCSU did have a recent upgrade. The actual city is slightly better with a little more to do there. But that's not saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                        My guess. Preserves top 8 intact. #1 overall gets #16. Keeps St. Cloud from playing a conference opponent in first round. Attendance is as good as possible and travel to a minimum.

South Bend:
                        1. Minnesota State vs. 16. Rochester Institute of Technology
                        8. Omaha vs.10. Minnesota

Fargo:
                        2 North Dakota vs.14. Quinnipiac
                        7 Michigan Tech vs. 12.St. Cloud

Manchester:
                        3 Boston University vs. 13. Yale
                        6 Minnesota-Duluth vs. 9. Harvard

Providence:
                        4 Miami vs. 15. Providence
                        5 Denver vs. 11.Boston College
                        So I agree with what Numbers said about there being a lot of options/considerations this year. I also think addressing possible attendance concerns is about the only reason the committee exists. Moy wrote earlier this week about the split in east/west participation creating the opportunity to keep most eastern teams in the east and that this would be good for attendance. I strongly agree with that. The movement that happened in the PWR complicated it (things were a little more cut and dry last Monday). That said, I think the committee will have to make some adjustments (impacting integrity) that bring balance to the two eastern regionals. The bracket that BC/HE came up with is addressing this issue. Moving PC back from Fargo and having BC there makes it so you've got about as good of attendance as you're going to get. They'll do something like this. I figure DU could play either Harvard, the Gophs or BC in the first round. If we are placed with Miami (and I think we will be) I'd rather see Miami have Yale than PC.
                        Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-22-2015, 12:54 AM.
                        Go Pioneers!

Comment

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...JsBu4I.twitter

Comment

Wooden's dealing with attendance too. His adjustment in Providence seems a little weaker attendance wise than having BC and PC there. Who knows? Maybe the committee will think it's enough.
                            Go Pioneers!

Comment

If this article is correct, I was dead wrong on the MSU/MIA location. The 4 seeds, I didn't really pay attention to. The MSU-MIA was the big question in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                                Your Manchester bracket will not happen, it's an attendance disaster. RIT is 400 miles away and Harvard has very few hockey fans. Not a chance at least one of BU and BC is not in Manchester. This bracket would be lucky to get 3K in the door.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X