The 2015 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    Sorry, Priceless. With Bemidji losing, Minnesota becomes a 3, and SCSU a 4 by the barest of margins. This allows the committee to save flights with this ingenious bracket:

Fargo: 1-NoDak v 16-RoMorris, 6-UMD v 12-Minny
    South Bend: 2-Mankato v 13 St Cloud, 7-Miami v 11-Bowling Green
    Manchester: 3-Denver v 14-Yale, 8-Neb-Omaha v 9- Boston College
    Providence: 4-Boston University v 15-Quinnipiac, 5-MichTech v 10-Providence

Obviously, here, Yale and Q east for flights, so St Cloud gets Mankato and South Bend. UMD and Minny can both drive to Fargo, so that saves big time to put both there. Miami and BGSU both in South Bend for Atmosphere.

It's a strange bracket in a way, but there is only one flight to Fargo, 2 flights to South Bend, and only 3 flights to the eastern regions.
    I'm having a bad weekend...I had brackets set up depending on which team won that triple overtime game, then I went and copied the wrong one...Will post my bracket in the morning...but it wasn't nearly as adventurous as yours (and had a whopping 10 flights as I recall)

Comment

• Last edited by MN Magic; 04-02-2015, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Re: The 2015 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread

So does a WMU win over SCSU in the NCHC final potentially result in 7 NCHC teams in the field???
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          So does a WMU win over SCSU in the NCHC final potentially result in 7 NCHC teams in the field???
          i guess it is possible, shows the flaw that is QWB adjusted RPI being the tiebreaker, once the field is set I will redo my previous rankings and see how things shake out.

I personally think the QWB adjusted RPI show be a comparison similar to record vs common opponents but tiebreaker should fall back to RPI excluding negative impact games.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

What surprised me in this is that Denver can move up so far with one win. I didn't think BU would move up that much either. I'd be interested to play with the predictor going forward.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
              A few days later, Harvard was actually #1 for the week of Jan. 5 before they began their decline.
              I had Harvard pegged as a FF team back in October, and Colgate not far behind. Both teams have under performed.

H got the injury bug in January with their #1 & #2 centers going down (Kerfoot & Malone) which took some wind out of their sails. Got those guys back and then lost their #1 d-man (McNally), and apparently he's the straw that stirs the drink. They tanked again but just got him back for the Yale series. H also got some spark in the return of F Colin Blackwell who has virtually not played over the last 2 seasons. Will be interesting to see what H can accomplish if they can get by Yale today at the Whale.

Colgate... injury bug early, missing one of the Spink brother's for the first half. Then #1 center Borkowski went down for the season, and #1 D Spiro Goulakos has been in and out. Then a surprise... Borkowski returns for the playoffs. Goulakos is currently playing but reportedly not at 100%. Good goaltending.

A healthy Harvard or Colgate can beat anyone.
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                What surprised me in this is that Denver can move up so far with one win. I didn't think BU would move up that much either. I'd be interested to play with the predictor going forward.
                If Miami wins tonight (and I expect they will) DU will fall back to about 6th.
                Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                  I had Harvard pegged as a FF team back in October, and Colgate not far behind. Both teams have under performed.

H got the injury bug in January with their #1 & #2 centers going down (Kerfoot & Malone) which took some wind out of their sails. Got those guys back and then lost their #1 d-man (McNally), and apparently he's the straw that stirs the drink. They tanked again but just got him back for the Yale series. H also got some spark in the return of F Colin Blackwell who has virtually not played over the last 2 seasons. Will be interesting to see what H can accomplish if they can get by Yale today at the Whale.
                  "Tanked" is a pretty strong word to use and I don't think it is fair to characterize their late season struggles as such. No question that the Crimson fell hard in the second half and injuries had something to do with it. I also think that some of their D men were exposed (Jaw, Anderson) who were playing major minutes in the absence of McNally and it caught up to them.

I do think they've got their second wind and if they get by Yale tonight, watch out going forward. A lot will depend on our goaltending and ability to pressure the puck.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    "Tanked" is a pretty strong word to use and I don't think it is fair to characterize their late season struggles as such. No question that the Crimson fell hard in the second half and injuries had something to do with it. I also think that some of their D men were exposed (Jaw, Anderson) who were playing major minutes in the absence of McNally and it caught up to them.
                    Sorry to ruffle feathers. Tanked was quicker than writing 4-10-0 to end the regular season. Give me your 1 word description in that context.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                      Sorry to ruffle feathers. Tanked was quicker than writing 4-10-0 to end the regular season. Give me your 1 word description in that context.
                      Swooned
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I think Harvard's struggles have been about depth as much as anything. Everyone gets some injuries and you have to expect some of the top players will get hurt. Like say McMillan at UND.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          I think Harvard's struggles have been about depth as much as anything. Everyone gets some injuries and you have to expect some of the top players will get hurt. Like say McMillan at UND.
                          While this is true, there was a period in January/February-ish where Harvard had an absurd number of key players injured. More than the expected norm.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                            Sorry, Priceless. With Bemidji losing, Minnesota becomes a 3, and SCSU a 4 by the barest of margins. This allows the committee to save flights with this ingenious bracket:

Fargo: 1-NoDak v 16-RoMorris, 6-UMD v 12-Minny
                            South Bend: 2-Mankato v 13 St Cloud, 7-Miami v 11-Bowling Green
                            Manchester: 3-Denver v 14-Yale, 8-Neb-Omaha v 9- Boston College
                            Providence: 4-Boston University v 15-Quinnipiac, 5-MichTech v 10-Providence

Obviously, here, Yale and Q east for flights, so St Cloud gets Mankato and South Bend. UMD and Minny can both drive to Fargo, so that saves big time to put both there. Miami and BGSU both in South Bend for Atmosphere.

It's a strange bracket in a way, but there is only one flight to Fargo, 2 flights to South Bend, and only 3 flights to the eastern regions.
                            Now, that would be fun

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                            If Miami wins tonight (and I expect they will) DU will fall back to about 6th.
                            But, forget it if DU is in the 6 spot.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

It would be hilarious if North Dakota is rewarded for being #1 overall by getting a first-round game against Michigan State...

Comment

I am not sure where Magness gets the idea that if Miami wins today, DU drops to 6th in the PWR. I just inputted all home teams winning on CHN's site, and got no changes in the top 7. BC goes to 8th. Yale and Quinny go to 11th and 12th in some order.

Really no room for change at the top until next week. And the huge cluster between 11 and 16 or so is impossible to sort out. All those teams? Just win!, baby!

Comment

Working...
                                X