The 2015 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Do any of the leagues still have a third place game? I thought that after the ECAC dropped it last year, they were all gone.
    NCHC does
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Re: The 2015 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      NCHC does
      On the back of which North Dakota made the NCAA tourney last season, I might add.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        On the back of which North Dakota made the NCAA tourney last season, I might add.
        Could be huge for St. Cloud this season, especially if they win in 3 this weekend, then lose in the semis (probably to North Dakota).
        SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
        UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
        Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
        Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
        UMD Football: 2008, 2010
        UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
          North Dakota made the tournament thanks to Wisconsin beating Ohio State in the B1G tournament. I was under the impression that the third place game would only have been a detriment to North Dakota had they lost. I'm not entirely sure though...I just remember the jubilation after Wisconsin won in OT.

As for the 3rd place game in general, I am of the mindset that each conference tournament should be the same setup. That way, you don't have teams in one conference getting an advantage (or facing a disadvantage). Of course, that will never happen.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            We missed you guys at the tournament last year. Of course, we've missed you guys at the tournament every year.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Holy smokes there are lots of classic bubble teams fighting for their lives over the next two weekends. Jim does a nice job laying out their situations visually.
              http://collegehockeyranked.com/
              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                Could be huge for St. Cloud this season, especially if they win in 3 this weekend, then lose in the semis (probably to North Dakota).
                Win in three or win in two doesn't matter too much because they'll need to win at least one game at the Target Center just to meet the .500 record qualification. If they lose in the semis to UND, they still have to win the 3rd place game just to satisfy the .500 rule. Going 3-2 instead of 3-1 would put them a bit closer to the bubble, but they'd still probably get in. According to Jim Dahl, that should be enough.

Conceivably, they could go 2-2 and finish 14th or 15th in the PWR yet fall victim to the .500 rule. They'd be the first victim of "Wisconsin Rule" if this is how it plays out, which isn't very likely.
                scsuhockey.com
                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                  Going 3-2 instead of 3-1 would put them a bit closer to the bubble, but they'd still probably get in. According to Jim Dahl, that should be enough.
                  Sorry if I was unclear on that, when I said one more win was probably necessary I left unstated that it may not be sufficient. If SCSU comes out of this weekend still alive and #13 in the PWR, one additional win and one additional loss (3-1 overall) could leave the Huskies in bubble territory. As usual, it would come down to what happens with other teams on the bubble and who gets the autobids.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post

They'd be the first victim of "Wisconsin Rule" if this is how it plays out, which isn't very likely.
                    I had a cousin who was almost a victim of the "Wisconsin Rule," but he was able to prove that the deer was still alive.

Comment

Fargo
                      #1 North Dakota vs Robert Morris
                      Omaha vs Boston C

South Bend
                      #3 Miami vs Minnesota
                      Denver vs Bowling Green

Providence
                      #2 Mankato vs Harvard
                      Michigan Tech vs Providence

Manchester
                      #4 Duluth vs Lowell
                      Boston U vs Quinnipiac

(Minnesota gets the AQ from the B1G by winning percentage)
                      Last edited by Priceless; 03-13-2015, 11:43 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Fargo
                        #1 North Dakota vs Robert Morris
                        Omaha vs Boston C

South Bend
                        #3 Miami vs Minnesota
                        Michigan Tech vs Bowling Green

Providence
                        #2 Mankato vs Harvard
                        Denver vs Providence

Manchester
                        #4 Duluth vs Lowell
                        Boston U vs Quinnipiac

(Minnesota gets the AQ from the B1G by winning percentage)
                        Gotta split Tech and BG

Comment

Providence may fall out of contention with a loss tomorrow.
                          Duluth has an astounding .0124 QWB which should keep them as a 2-seed even if they lose tomorrow. They could eventually fall to a 3-seed next weekend, but I don't see them falling all the way out.

Teams that must win tomorrow or their season is over: Union, Dartmouth, RPI, Yale, Notre Dame, Vermont, Merrimack, Bemidji, Northern Michigan, Lake State, Huntsville, Western, Colorado College, Air Force, Sacred Heart, Bentley, Niagara

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            Gotta split Tech and BG
                            Goddammit I keep doing that

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              Goddammit I keep doing that
                              It's late. You'll get it right in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                                It's late. You'll get it right in the morning!
                                Already fixed. I'm just so used to Bowling Green being CCHA

Comment

Working...
                                X