For Plattsburgh fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Plattsburgh fans...

Planning to go way up to see the New Year's tournament, weather permitting, and have a few questions:

1. Will the seating there be general admission? And, if not, which end of the arena will the Cards be defending in the 1st and the 3rd?

2. Any chance the game will sell out?

3. Are there any hotels in town to seek out or to avoid?

4. Where should we eat?

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-19-2014, 08:15 PM.

Re: For Plattsburgh fans...

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Planning to go way up to see the New Year's tournament, weather permitting, and have a few questions:

1. Will the seating there be general admission? And, if not, which end of the arena will the Cards be defending in the 1st and the 3rd?

2. Any chance the game will sell out?

3. Are there any hotels in town to seek out or to avoid?

4. Where should we eat?

Thanks for any input!
    1. No, seats will be assigned. Plattsburgh defends the near end of the arena twice, though I'm drawing a blank as to which sections this includes. E-M, maybe?

2. Nah. On the off chance that seating runs out, they'll simply start selling SRO tickets, but it shouldn't come to that for the Classic.

3. There are no real standouts. The Comfort Inn has a brew pub onsite, which is as much of a distinguishing factor as you'll find between any of them.

4. The aforementioned brew pub sells passable fare, and there are plenty of A.P. O'Fridagans-style chains if you're looking for a known quantity. There are some good places downtown - The Pepper, Aleka's, and Himalaya are all quality joints - and Latitude 44 or Anthony's are good options if you'd like to go a little more upscale. Arnie's and Mickey's are nice if you're looking for Italian; I'd lean toward Mickey's for out-of-towners, as Arnie's tends to be more of an acquired taste.
    Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
    A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
    A Handful of ECAC West Championships
    A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
    Some National Championships:
    Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
    Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

If you stay at Comfort Inn, you'd also be within walking distance of a Wendy's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotles, Five Guys Burgers (recommended), and a Perkins right in the hotel. Plus, if you are a team groupie, the teams seem to stay there a lot... (If you are just a fan that likes to sleep, that might be a negative!!!)
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
        If you stay at Comfort Inn, you'd also be within walking distance of a Wendy's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotles, Five Guys Burgers (recommended), and a Perkins right in the hotel. Plus, if you are a team groupie, the teams seem to stay there a lot... (If you are just a fan that likes to sleep, that might be a negative!!!)
        Love the Five Guys!
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
          1. No, seats will be assigned. Plattsburgh defends the near end of the arena twice, though I'm drawing a blank as to which sections this includes. E-M, maybe?

2. Nah. On the off chance that seating runs out, they'll simply start selling SRO tickets, but it shouldn't come to that for the Classic.

3. There are no real standouts. The Comfort Inn has a brew pub onsite, which is as much of a distinguishing factor as you'll find between any of them.

4. The aforementioned brew pub sells passable fare, and there are plenty of A.P. O'Fridagans-style chains if you're looking for a known quantity. There are some good places downtown - The Pepper, Aleka's, and Himalaya are all quality joints - and Latitude 44 or Anthony's are good options if you'd like to go a little more upscale. Arnie's and Mickey's are nice if you're looking for Italian; I'd lean toward Mickey's for out-of-towners, as Arnie's tends to be more of an acquired taste.
          I agree with the ticketing.

IMO, La Quinta Inns and Suites has the best pool & hot tub, followed by the Best Western and then Holiday Inn.

Best Western has a 99 Restaurant & Pub in house and the Ground Round shares their parking lot.

Chefy's Bar and Grill downtown is my choice.

Five Guys does an expensive imitation of Wendy's grease burghers (well done is the only way the sell them) if you like them - excellent homemade style french fries though.
          Last edited by norm1909; 12-20-2014, 07:45 AM.
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Guys, thank you all so much for all your great advice and local expertise. The Warden and I are really looking forward to making the trip now that we're forearmed with your input.

I figger that both UC and Amherst look likely to gain at least one win, what with the requisite Sacrificial Lamb on the table for the consolation game on Saturday. (Platty is of course the clear favorite to win this thing, but I'll be happy to see UC playing in the late game on the 3rd, just the same.)

Haven't taken the time to peruse the Stafford site yet, but we'll shoot for sections E-M if we're allowed that option... And any further tips regarding any aspect of the Plattburgh experience will be greatly appreciated.

For the nonce, Merry Christmas to you all fine folks. (Is it just me, or are hockey fans a significant cut above the average human beings?)
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-20-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

IMO, La Quinta Inns and Suites has the best pool & hot tub, followed by the Best Western and then Holiday Inn.

Best Western has a 99 Restaurant & Pub in house and the Ground Round shares their parking lot.

Five Guys does an expensive imitation of Wendy's grease burghers (well done is the only way the sell them) if you like them - excellent homemade style french fries though.
              There is also The Hampton Inn on Rt. 3 with UNO's restaurant right next door. Applebee's too of course. Enjoy while in Pburgh!

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post

To clarify, Plattsburgh defends twice on the end you face when entering the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
                  To clarify, Plattsburgh defends twice on the end you face when entering the arena.
                  Opposite the main entrance, right? (And thanks.)

The biggest issue for us is that we get good seats after driving 3 hours. Ideally, those seats would be at the blue line of Platty's home-zone (1st and 3rd) and maybe 10 rows up. We can't seem to find a seating chart for Stafford online anywhere.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-20-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

Advice from a local: No visit to Plattsburgh is complete without a meal at Arnie's on Margaret St in what is left of the actual downtown. Pick a table adjacent to the bar on the street level. Same menu but better atmosphere.

GO CARDS
                    Wally
                    Cornell '67

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                      Advice from a local: No visit to Plattsburgh is complete without a meal at Arnie's on Margaret St in what is left of the actual downtown. Pick a table adjacent to the bar on the street level. Same menu but better atmosphere.

GO CARDS
                      Wally
                      Cornell '67
                      And Chefy's is the Cardinals Band Sponsor and there might be a biased atmosphere
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Having stayed there twice - avoid the Days Inn.

My son's room @ the Comfort Inn was 400% better.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If you don't mind a small room...The Microtel is the cleanest hotel in the area. My brother stayed there a couple weeks ago and raved about it. BTW...he is a clean freak !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                            If you don't mind a small room...The Microtel is the cleanest hotel in the area. My brother stayed there a couple weeks ago and raved about it. BTW...he is a clean freak !
                            Not only is the Microtel clean, the bed was fantastic! By far the best hotel experience I've had in Plattsburgh.

And I didn't think the room was that small when I stayed there for the D3 Women's championship last march. Maybe Birdwatcher's brother stayed in a different style room.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                              Not only is the Microtel clean, the bed was fantastic! By far the best hotel experience I've had in Plattsburgh.

And I didn't think the room was that small when I stayed there for the D3 Women's championship last march. Maybe Birdwatcher's brother stayed in a different style room.
                              At $79 a night Microtel is a decent value, though I would still go for the pool & hot tub at LaQuinta at $85 and Comfort Inn at $120 shares it's entrance with Walmart plaza, Super 8 two exits north (Exit 39E) off I-87 from the one used for the Stafford (Exit 37) is good enough for those who are price conscious at $49 a night.

Avoid America's Best Value at $60 when it's worth maybe $35.
                              Last edited by norm1909; 12-25-2014, 02:16 PM.
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                              X