• Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey Demographics

Good stuff, Maynard!

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Thanks Gurt.

I pulled my data from the Internet, so I didn't do much of any scrubbing with regards to hometown. Guessing there are some discrepencies in regards to what was listed as a player's "hometown" and where they were born, etc...

Great suggestion on the goaltending, defense stats. Really wish someone kept more detailed stats for college hockey (I've wanted to calculate true Fenwick and Corsi for a while now), but I'll see what I can do.
      IMHO I would continue to do it that way you are doing it using the towns which are listed on the roster. I agree that some players list where they were born and some where they live, (and some list a larger place near where they were born/lived). Whenever I am asked where I was born I list where the hospital was, not where my parents were living at the time. I suspect a lot of people do it the other way. Attempting to correct things will fix some errors, the ones which are easier to correct, but will introduce a new bias.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        IMHO I would continue to do it that way you are doing it using the towns which are listed on the roster. I agree that some players list where they were born and some where they live, (and some list a larger place near where they were born/lived). Whenever I am asked where I was born I list where the hospital was, not where my parents were living at the time. I suspect a lot of people do it the other way. Attempting to correct things will fix some errors, the ones which are easier to correct, but will introduce a new bias.
        Agreed. Thanks Ralph.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

As for Texas players, there are currently 5 players from Texas playing in Hockey East (Providence has one, BU has one, UConn has two, and Vermont has one), 5 players playing in the NCHC (Miami has two, Western Michigan has one, and Colorado College has two), 6 players playing in the Atlantic Conference (Army has four, Robert Morris has one, and American International has one), 1 player playing in the B10 (1 with Ohio State), and 1 player playing in the ECAC with QU.
          They haven't been able to make it into the WCHA yet, eh?

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

I enjoyed this.

Comment

Here is Part II

Hope you enjoy. Have a very wonderful, safe, and healthy holidays everyone.

Comment

Was a good read. I didn't know North Dakota had went over the 700,000 mark.
                  "My greatest achievement."
                  Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

wow. what a bunch of work and a fascinating read! thanks!
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Here is Part II

Hope you enjoy. Have a very wonderful, safe, and healthy holidays everyone.
                      Interesting stuff.

On the break down of heights, weights, and age by position, you have used the HEA list of schools for the ECAC.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Interesting stuff.

On the break down of heights, weights, and age by position, you have used the HEA list of schools for the ECAC.
                        Thanks for the heads up. Out of town for the weekend, but will fix when I get home. Much appreciated.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Seriously, this is some good stuff. Much credit!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              Seriously, this is some good stuff. Much credit!
                              Thanks

Comment

Does anyone know who the players from DC, Maryland, and Virginia are? I know Jay Williams is from (and listed as being from) McLean, VA, but I'm curious about the others. An interesting case regarding Virginia and the point of where players grew up vs. what they're listed as on the roster was Brendan Woods. His freshman year, he was listed as being from Fairfax, VA, because his father, Bob Woods, was an assistant coach for the Capitals. The next year, he was listed as being from southern California, as his family moved there because Bob Woods became an assistant coach for the Ducks. If I recall correctly, he's really from Manitoba.

Comment

Working...
                                X