Ohio State @ Bemidji State 12/19 - 12/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Bemidji State 12/19 - 12/20

Ohio State travels to Bemidji this weekend for a big series with the Beavers. Bemidji State has overtaken OSU and North Dakota in recent weeks and sets in 4th place in the WCHA with 23 points, only 2 behind 3rd place Minnesota-Duluth. North Dakota is currently in 5th place with 21 points followed by Ohio State with 18. The Beavers can put some more distance between themselves, UND, and Ohio State with a big weekend. Earlier this season, Ohio State swept the Beavers in Columbus, so the Bucks have had some success against the Beavers this season. The Buckeyes were off this past weekend. The weekend before that, UMD came to Columbus and left with five of six points, so hopefully the Bucks will come out hungry and play well this weekend. They will need to as Bemidji has been a top-ten fixture in the polls lately at 10-5-1. The Buckeyes will bring an 8-8-2 record into the weekend series. Both teams will break for the Holidays after this series. Ohio State will play hard as always. Goaltending and defense in general have been good enough to win games this season. The question marks this season have been at the other end of the ice. In some games, we just have not been able to finish and score goals. The talent is there, we just need to execute. I don't have access to current stats (cumulative stats link on ohiostatebuckeyes.com has not been updated in a couple months), but it's been mostly scoring by committee this season for the Buckeyes. We have a number of players who can put the puck in the net, and skating has not been a problem as we have been able to keep up with a majority of the teams on the schedule, we just need to execute and finish around the net. This team has potential, they just need to continue to improve. Bemidji fans, what are your thoughts on the season so far? I would imagine you are fairly happy with the season to this point ... 4th in the WCHA, top ten in the polls, 10-5-1, what's not to like?

Re: Ohio State @ Bemidji State 12/19 - 12/20

Up-to-date OSU stats are at http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/stat...oring&sort=pts...

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
      Wow, complete up-to-date stats for Ohio State on hockeyeastonline.com! Who knew? Thanks for sharing that, Wwhyte! Think I may have to bookmark that one!

Comment

Looks like 2015 commit Selena Hunter from NAHA was called up early to join the team at Goalie. I believe she starts next semester. I assume injury problems on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          Wow, complete up-to-date stats for Ohio State on hockeyeastonline.com! Who knew? Thanks for sharing that, Wwhyte! Think I may have to bookmark that one!
          Glad to help! I think you can find that page in a few other places but I always end up going back to Hockey East. A good starting page to bookmark on the HE site for all your stats needs is http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/stats/filtersw15.php -- that gives you national scoring leaders and you can adjust the filters or click through from there.

Comment

Bemidji fans, what are your thoughts on the season so far? I would imagine you are fairly happy with the season to this point ... 4th in the WCHA, top ten in the polls, 10-5-1, what's not to like?
            Happy? Yes and no.... I think that BSU would like to have back last week's loss at St. Cloud and the previous Ohio State Weekend. But at the beginning of the year, if you would have told me that the Beavers would go through the stretch of Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and Minnesota Duluth taking 14 points, I would have said run with it. But with the way the team has come together, as a fan, it would have been nice to get one of the one goal losses against Wisconsin.

The real test will be after Christmas Break. BSU has played a majority of their games at home, so they will have to be road warriors to hold onto that home playoff spot. They will have Minnesota and St. Cloud at home, but will have to go to Madison, Duluth, Mankato and Grand Forks, along with a non-conference trip to Lindenwood.
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I did not pay to watch the game, so I have no idea how it went other than a couple stats, but Ohio State takes game one tonight by a final score of 2-0. Senior forward Taylor Kuehl opened the scoring in the first period and that turned out to be the GWG. Julia McKinnon added an empty-net goal for the final score. Bemidji dominated the SOG 33-14, but could not get one by redshirt-junior goaltender Stacy Danczak, who earned her second shutout of the season. The Beavers and Buckeyes will be back at it tomorrow at 2:07 pm CST. With the win, Ohio State moves into a tie with North Dakota at 21 points. Tomorrow's game will definitely factor into the standings. If Ohio State wins, they will pull ahead of Bemidji and into 4th place (24 to 23). If the Beavers take tomorrow's game, they will leap-frog over UMD (26 to 25) and into third place in the WCHA standings. Tomorrow's game is big for both teams. Should be interesting. If anyone was at the game (Beaverhockeyfan?) and could add some observations to my numbers, that would be great. Good luck to both teams tomorrow!
              Last edited by osualum86; 12-20-2014, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I did not pay to watch the game, so I have no idea how it went other than a couple stats, but Ohio State takes game one tonight by a final score of 2-0. Senior forward Taylor Kuehl opened the scoring in the first period and that turned out to be the GWG. Julia McKinnon added an empty-net goal for the final score. Bemidji dominated the SOG 33-12, but could not get one by Senior goaltender Stacy Danczak, who earned her second shutout of the season. The Beavers and Buckeyes will be back at it tomorrow at 2:07 pm CST. With the win, Ohio State moves into a tie with North Dakota at 21 points. Tomorrow's game will definitely factor into the standings. If Ohio State wins, they will pull ahead of Bemidji and into 4th place (24 to 23). If the Beavers take tomorrow's game, they will leap-frog over UMD (26 to 25) and into third place in the WCHA standings. Tomorrow's game is big for both teams. Should be interesting. If anyone was at the game (Beaverhockeyfan?) and could add some observations to my numbers, that would be great. Good luck to both teams tomorrow!
                I don't have any observations about the game, but I do have observations about a couple of your comments.

First, the saves were 33-12 OSU. The shots were 33-14 BSU. Easy mistake to make -- no harm, no foul. Just pointing that out for any other number freaks like me.

But I was more interested in the WCHA standings reference in your comments. While the comparison between OSU, BSU, and UND will be valid after tomorrow's contest because all three will have played 16 conference games, I wouldn't put too much credence into Bemidji moving into 3rd place in the WCHA with a win tomorrow because UMD will have two games in hand. I really don't like the unbalanced schedule... it makes things harder to track. Consider this for quirkiness: on Thanksgiving Day, the Beavers had played 6 fewer conference games than Wisconsin and 4 fewer than Minnesota, but after tomorrow they will have played as many as Wisconsin and 2 more than Minnesota.
                Last edited by CrazyDave; 12-19-2014, 10:53 PM.
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                  I really don't like the unbalanced schedule... it makes things harder to track. Consider this for quirkiness: on Thanksgiving Day, the Beavers had played 6 fewer conference games than Wisconsin and 4 fewer than Minnesota, but after tomorrow they will have played as many as Wisconsin and 2 more than Minnesota.
                  Not to mention the WCHA having the shootout rule and its unique point system which, as the season progresses, only adds to the possibilities.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

But I was more interested in the WCHA standings reference in your comments. While the comparison between OSU, BSU, and UND will be valid after tomorrow's contest because all three will have played 16 conference games, I wouldn't put too much credence into Bemidji moving into 3rd place in the WCHA with a win tomorrow because UMD will have two games in hand.
                    UW will also have played 16. UM, UMD, SCSU and MSU,M will have played 14. Not that complicated to decode, all things considered.

I really don't like the unbalanced schedule... it makes things harder to track.
                    My above comment notwithstanding, I do share your pet peeve. I miss the set-up where everyone played the first half of the conference schedule before the holidays, the second half after. Can't recall if there was any sort of official announcement of the change, but I've always assumed the old policy was set aside for the purpose of solving scheduling problems on a campus-by-campus basis.

Consider this for quirkiness: on Thanksgiving Day, the Beavers had played 6 fewer conference games than Wisconsin and 4 fewer than Minnesota, but after tomorrow they will have played as many as Wisconsin and 2 more than Minnesota.
                    Now that's confusing! And yet analyzing the WCHA standings has always been challenging, regardless of the number of games played by each club. "Who's played who" generally has had a significant impact on a team's numbers. All told, maybe that's the main reason we miss the midseason snapshot: Historically it was the one time during the season you got a straightforward look at how everyone else was doing -- without having to factor in all of the ifs, ands and buts.

Comment

I don't have any observations about the game, but I do have observations about a couple of your comments.

First, the saves were 33-12 OSU. The shots were 33-14 BSU. Easy mistake to make -- no harm, no foul. Just pointing that out for any other number freaks like me.

But I was more interested in the WCHA standings reference in your comments. While the comparison between OSU, BSU, and UND will be valid after tomorrow's contest because all three will have played 16 conference games, I wouldn't put too much credence into Bemidji moving into 3rd place in the WCHA with a win tomorrow because UMD will have two games in hand. I really don't like the unbalanced schedule... it makes things harder to track. Consider this for quirkiness: on Thanksgiving Day, the Beavers had played 6 fewer conference games than Wisconsin and 4 fewer than Minnesota, but after tomorrow they will have played as many as Wisconsin and 2 more than Minnesota.
                      Dave, thanks for that correction, I edited my post and made the change. I agree with you on the standings, it's hard to track them or put much stock in them with the unbalanced scheduling.

Comment

The Buckeyes completed the sweep of Bemidji today by a final score of 2-1. The Buckeyes currently set in 4th place in the WCHA, although as has been pointed out, several WCHA teams have games in hand, having only played 14 to the Bucks 16. Sophomore Claudia Kepler scored both goals for Ohio State. Alexis Joyce scored BSU's lone goal on a power play. SOG were 34-23 in favor of Ohio State with redshirt-junior goaltender Stacy Danczak getting the win with 22 saves. Bemidji State goaltender Brittni Mowat finished the game with 32 saves. The Buckeyes go into the break on a high note. Up next after the break will be a trip to Hockey Valley to take on Penn State on 1/3 - 1/4.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                          Looks like 2015 commit Selena Hunter from NAHA was called up early to join the team at Goalie. I believe she starts next semester. I assume injury problems on the team.
                          Now that you mention it, I do notice we are carrying a 4th goalie. I am not sure if there are injury problems, but I did notice the addition of goaltender Selena Hunter. It's funny, at first I thought you were talking about Bemidji because we already have three goalies, a redshirt-junior and two freshmen. Then I looked at the roster and saw Hunter's name there. Ok, my wife just informed me that freshman goaltender Alex LaMere is injured, so that answers that question.

Comment

The Buckeyes completed the sweep of Bemidji today by a final score of 2-1. The Buckeyes currently set in 4th place in the WCHA, although as has been pointed out, several WCHA teams have games in hand, having only played 14 to the Bucks 16. Sophomore Claudia Kepler scored both goals for Ohio State. Alexis Joyce scored BSU's lone goal on a power play. SOG were 34-23 in favor of Ohio State with redshirt-junior goaltender Stacy Danczak getting the win with 22 saves. Bemidji State goaltender Brittni Mowat finished the game with 32 saves. The Buckeyes go into the break on a high note. Up next after the break will be a trip to Hockey Valley to take on Penn State on 1/3 - 1/4.

Congratulations!

Is the Beaver balloon bursting?

Comment

The Buckeyes completed the sweep of Bemidji today by a final score of 2-1...The Buckeyes go into the break on a high note.
                              Awesome results this weekend; congratulations to the players and coaches! Everyone: Have a meaningful and wonderful holiday, wherever your travels may take you.

Up next after the break will be a trip to Hockey Valley to take on Penn State on 1/3 - 1/4.
                              Nice play on words. Are they using that phrase in State College or is "Hockey Valley" your creation?

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Is the Beaver balloon bursting?
                              Only if it was overinflated in the first place. Bemidji got some street cred because they grabbed points against the two glamour teams. Not that they didn't earn it; they did. But my conviction has been -- and remains -- that the four teams in this year's "middle of the pack" are quite evenly matched. The race for home ice should be extremely entertaining the rest of the way, to say nothing of the first round of the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X