Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U19 Hockey Rankings

http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2014&a=d&v=2001

I stumbled across this web site. Amazing how they are able to gather all the game data. Anyone know how accurate it is?

Re: U19 Hockey Rankings

Originally posted by Call It View Post

I stumbled across this web site. Amazing how they are able to gather all the game data. Anyone know how accurate it is?
    This website has become the defacto ranking system for club hockey, at least in the U.S. Its not perfect but its generally pretty good and it gets more accurate as the season progresses and more teams play other teams across the country. The more data the more accurate it is. It is pretty much relied up on by most major tournaments for ranking teams etc.

Comment

Individual teams, or in some cases leagues, submit the results. Each Wednesday the data is run through the algorithm and the rankings updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
        Individual teams, or in some cases leagues, submit the results. Each Wednesday the data is run through the algorithm and the rankings updated.

Site relies on members to report scores...but generally pretty accurate.

I never could figure out how he did some of the rankings...especially his over-reliance on early season games to 'seed' teams; when those teams really had no basis to be ranked...tended to 'over-rank' teams that played only a few games, but participated in a tourney like NAHA Labor Day. He also seemed to have a strong bias in favor of Mass. teams....Biggest complaint was that he gives zero credence to "head-to-head" games... which is a huge flaw in his system. That said, it's better than nothing.

Comment

Thanks for posting. Its interesting but I have to ask, does Chicago Mission really have 47 games player in mid-December?!? Chi Young Americans is near that number too. Assuming they started in September (and I have no idea when they did start) that is nearly a game every other day.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            Thanks for posting. Its interesting but I have to ask, does Chicago Mission really have 47 games player in mid-December?!? Chi Young Americans is near that number too. Assuming they started in September (and I have no idea when they did start) that is nearly a game every other day.
            Well, when you play in tournaments/showcases on most weekends and are good enough to get to the finals you are looking at six to seven games in most cases.

Comment

Doesn't seem out of line. In Canada, most top tier club hockey rep teams at every age level probably average about 70-80 games a season, give or take a few. At U19, the PWHL regular season is 38 games, add about 8-12 games for playoffs/championship weekend, 4-5 tourneys at 5-6 games each is about 25 more games, and a half dozen exhibition games (pre-season games, and college contests) and you'll get to 80 games quite easily.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                Site relies on members to report scores...but generally pretty accurate.

I never could figure out how he did some of the rankings...especially his over-reliance on early season games to 'seed' teams; when those teams really had no basis to be ranked...tended to 'over-rank' teams that played only a few games, but participated in a tourney like NAHA Labor Day. He also seemed to have a strong bias in favor of Mass. teams....Biggest complaint was that he gives zero credence to "head-to-head" games... which is a huge flaw in his system. That said, it's better than nothing.
                I do not believe he seeds the teams at all. Each week the data is recalculated and the first release of data is not released until a team has played 5 games.

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder. SSM loses to Mission 5-1 & ties NAHA 0-0. Mission beats NAHA 2-0. Wouldn't you think Mission should be ranked 1? How does SSM do it?

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder. SSM loses to Mission 5-1 & ties NAHA 0-0. Mission beats NAHA 2-0. Wouldn't you think Mission should be ranked 1? How does SSM do it?
                    There is a helpful guide on the site that explains the methodology in greater detail, but the gist of it is that each game in a year is weighted equally and the favorable goal differential generated by Mission in that head-to-head game (+4) is diluted by the results of some 30-40 other games played by those two teams. Mission definitely gains ground on SSM because of that game, but one game alone did not fully close the gap. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                      . . . At U19, the PWHL regular season is 38 games, add about 8-12 games for playoffs/championship weekend, 4-5 tourneys at 5-6 games each is about 25 more games, and a half dozen exhibition games (pre-season games, and college contests) and you'll get to 80 games quite easily.
                      Originally posted by Hux View Post
                      Well, when you play in tournaments/showcases on most weekends and are good enough to get to the finals you are looking at six to seven games in most cases.
                      So does the NHL but they are only around 30 games right now. Its not so much the number but the number this early in the year.

Comment

I totally believe the number of games -- some of teams are not even showing the results for all the games they have played. I don't know about the Midwest teams but I think many of the east coast teams on the My Hockey Ratings list are full season junior teams, with some full season tournament teams thrown in. Many of the teams started counting games with the NAHA Labor Day Tournament - some even count Beantown. Some teams travel extensively and pick up anywhere from 3 to 6 games a weekend in the fall at Stoney Creek, the NEWJHL or JWHL Showcases, Rochester Fire and Ice, the Harvard Showcase, Thanksgiving and Columbus Day Tournaments and many others that I am sure I am forgetting. Showcase tournaments are big business although some are clearly better attended by coaches than others.

With recruiting shifting so heavily to Summer and Fall most of the full season U19 teams get the bulk of their games in before Dec 1. At least in New England there are really only a small number of Tier 1 half season teams that play a game a week plus one or two tournaments before the prep season starts -- the Massachusetts Tier 1 U19 state tournament only had 8 teams including one or two that were really in over their heads. On the other hand, the number of Tier II teams that cater to prep and public high school kids seems to be increasing. There are 66 of those listed for the US on My Hockey Ratings! Lots of girls playing lots of hockey.

Comment

Shattuck beat Mission earlier in the season so they are now 1-1 on the season. Last weekend did close the gap and it's very close as to 1st and 2nd. At one point earlier in the season Mission was 1. Strength of schedule is also counted and so far Shattuck has played a tougher schedule. All this ranking is nice but doesn't really matter. Once Nationals come around its gonna probably come down to Shattuck, Mission and Assabet. But it is nice to see Shattuck number 1

Comment

So does the NHL but they are only around 30 games right now. Its not so much the number but the number this early in the year.
                            The NHL didn't start their schedule until the 2nd week in October and Mission's first games were in August.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayoflife View Post
                              The NHL didn't start their schedule until the 2nd week in October and Mission's first games were in August.
                              Which was part of my original question. August seems awfully early but at least that makes more sense from a number of games played per week perspective. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X