ECAC North Atlantic League forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC North Atlantic League forms

Well we knew something was on the horizon and the first domino officially fell today.

The ECAC North Atlantic League has formed with eight founding members.

Daniel Webster
    Salem State
    Stevenson
    Becker
    Johnson & Wales
    SUNY Canton
    Endicott
    Morrisville

http://www.ecacsports.com/news/2014-..._hockey_league

The ECAC East remains with a staggering 14 teams (only 10 are Division III schools, Franklin Pierce, Saint Anselm, Saint Michael's and Holy Cross are D-II and D-I) and the ECAC West still checks in with 10. That brings us to 37 Division III teams in the East for 2015-16. Add in another 21 in the west and that's 58 women's D-III teams. With the access ratio of 6.5 per one team for the NCAA Tournament that gives us 8.92. We still need one more team on order to get to a nine team NCAA Tournament if my calculations are correct.

From what I understand, the ECAC North Atlantic will have to wait two years until they get an autobid to the NCAA Tournament.

Big day for D-III women's hockey.
    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 12-11-2014, 03:10 PM.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: ECAC North Atlantic League forms

Travel partners? Stevenson is the outlier.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Well we knew something was on the horizon and the first domino officially fell today.

Daniel Webster
      Salem State
      Stevenson
      Becker
      Johnson & Wales
      SUNY Canton
      Endicott
      Morrisville

The ECAC East remains with a staggering 14 teams (only 10 are Division III schools, Franklin Pierce, Saint Anselm, Saint Michael's and Holy Cross are D-II and D-I) and the ECAC West still checks in with 10. That brings us to 37 Division III teams in the East for 2015-16. Add in another 21 in the west and that's 58 women's D-III teams. With the access ratio of 6.5 per one team for the NCAA Tournament that gives us 8.92. We still need one more team on order to get to a nine team NCAA Tournament if my calculations are correct.

From what I understand, the ECAC North Atlantic will have to wait two years until they get an autobid to the NCAA Tournament.

Very interesting development. The domino which will really continue the shake up is the one announcing another SUNY school starting women's hockey. How would the NCAA set the field in a 9 team tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Travel partners? Stevenson is the outlier.
        We were talking about this in the office today and I have to think they'll go with a similiar system that the ECAC West does and play two-game series on a weekend. SUNY Canton, SUNY Morrisville and Stevenson are on islands basically for this league.

And as obserbear correctly points out, we now have six SUNY schools playing women's hockey. I have to believe with one more a SUNYAC women's league will likely form.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
          Very interesting development. The domino which will really continue the shake up is the one announcing another SUNY school starting women's hockey. How would the NCAA set the field in a 9 team tournament?
          8 plays 9 on Wednesday and the winner plays #1 on Saturday, always observing the 400 mile rule and limiting flights.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

We were talking about this in the office today and I have to think they'll go with a similiar system that the ECAC West does and play two-game series on a weekend. SUNY Canton, SUNY Morrisville and Stevenson are on islands basically for this league.

And as obserbear correctly points out, we now have six SUNY schools playing women's hockey. I have to believe with one more a SUNYAC women's league will likely form.
            Am I missing something, but aren't there 7? Plattsburgh, Cortland, Buffalo St., Oswego, Potsdam, Morrisville and Canton? I was thinking the magic # was 8.
            Last edited by obserbear; 12-11-2014, 06:23 PM. Reason: ing

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
              Am I missing something, but aren't there 7? Plattsburgh, Cortland, Buffalo St., Oswego, Potsdam, Morrisville and Canton? I was thinking the magic # was 8.
              SUNY Canton isn't a member of the SUNYAC. Morrisville isn't a full member, and might not count either (they only have Men's Ice Hockey and I believe Field Hockey in the SUNYAC), so we may actually be 2 away from that becoming an inevitability...
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                SUNY Canton isn't a member of the SUNYAC. Morrisville isn't a full member, and might not count either (they only have Men's Ice Hockey and I believe Field Hockey in the SUNYAC), so we may actually be 2 away from that becoming an inevitability...
                The MASCAC men got to 7 by adding two Little East schools as affiliate members. It can be done.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

These teams are mostly newer teams? Would the other leagues not accept them?

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                    The SUNYAC constitution is no longer public, but according to the last version that was made public:

A sport may be designated for Conference competition when at least 60% of the
                    member institutions sponsor teams in that sport.
                    If this hasn't been changed, the number is only 6 so long as there are no new full members. If Canton had become a full member it would have pushed the number up to 7 as 60% of 11 is of course 6.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                      These teams are mostly newer teams? Would the other leagues not accept them?
                      I don't think it's a matter of not being accepted, but being new programs it would have taken longer to get to a level where they can reach the NCAA tournament over the perennial contenders of the given conference they'd join.

Now, I believe they get an autobid to the tournament and only have to beat out other young programs for it. This could help recruiting where talent might hesitate joining a program without a history of winning because they're less likely to make the tournament.

Comment

Daniel Webster
                        Salem State
                        Stevenson
                        Becker
                        Johnson & Wales
                        SUNY Canton
                        Endicott
                        Morrisville

Holy Mo-ley.....Talk about a conference consisting 100% of the Little Sisters of the Poor....and they get an automatic bid to the NCAA's? Big Day for women's hockey? I think just the opposite....Giving an autobid to a feeble conf does nothing to better the game.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                          Holy Mo-ley.....Talk about a conference consisting 100% of the Little Sisters of the Poor....and they get an automatic bid to the NCAA's? Big Day for women's hockey? I think just the opposite....Giving an autobid to a feeble conf does nothing to better the game.
                          It's awful short term but providing these schools easier access to the big dance could help them get to a position where they can recruit good players in a shorter amount of time meaning a couple of them could become top flight programs in shorter order. I'm not 100% sure I even buy this argument but I do see that counterpoint to those thinking it's utter bs this conference gets an autobid.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                            It's awful short term but providing these schools easier access to the big dance could help them get to a position where they can recruit good players in a shorter amount of time meaning a couple of them could become top flight programs in shorter order. I'm not 100% sure I even buy this argument but I do see that counterpoint to those thinking it's utter bs this conference gets an autobid.
                            I agree, but two years seems a bit quick. Four not so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                              How could this not be good for the growth of the game?

All 8 of these schools are practically on a level playing field for when it comes to building a program up for a chance to play in the NCAA's. Now will some programs put more money into it than others, probably. I'm looking at Endicott mainly. I could see their program taking off FAST.

It gives us a new conference with new teams having the chance to get to the big dance and prove themselves against a pretty stale group of elite teams that are there year in and year out.

Look at what Norwich has done in such a short time. Part of that success can be attributed to the chance to come in and play right away and get to the NCAA tournament which they did in just their second season. Made the finals in the third and won it all in fourth.

I could see that same type of growth from an Endicott or even a Stevenson now that they have a league that they can compete for a title in.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X