South at North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South at North

Alabama Huntsville Chargers at Alaska Nanooks...Does anybody care???

Re: South at North

Let's see Nanooks back in action after a split at Minnesota State..UAH had last weekend off..

Alaska has squared off against two top goalies in Mathias Dahlstrom two weeks ago with Northern Michigan series,
    And Stephon Williams at Minnesota State..Williams got replaced on Saturday by Cole Huggins at the start of the third period.
    The last two Friday night's, AK got the best of the two...

UAH has Carmine Guerriero...despite 3-6-1 mark....931 save percentage at 2.49 GAA..He will be key...should be an interesting weekend.

Comment

I always care.

All I wish for is our guys to not sleep on UAH. They are much improved over last year. This *should* be a couple of W's, but as inconsistent as we've been I am not betting the mortgage on it.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Our team is built from the crease out. Guerriero is obviously the key, and Carlson is the stalwart in back. The freshmen D (Parker, Champagne, Buri) are the best pack of incoming blueliners we've had in some time. Frank Misuraca has a solid shot, slap or wrist, and whoever you get between Graeme Strukoff and Ben Reinhardt, who've had some health issues this year, will be a solid blue-collar guy, although Struky tends to take penalties.

As you can see from the scoresheet, we're still a work in progress up front when it comes to scoring. A big problem has been depth and the threats of injuries to be whole. Carlson has had to play forward just to give us some jump when we're down to 11 forwards. We've only played 13 forwards this year, and with Jeff Vanderlugt out for a few weeks, what you saw was what you got. Shoot, there was one weekend when the lineup was so thin —*I believe it was Ferris — that we carried our third goalie just to reward him for busting his backside in practice. The young kids — McHugh, Saulnier, Kestner — are catching up to the speed of D-I, though Max is closer having been far nearer in the USHL than Kesty in the GOJHL.

Mel Pearson won't stop talking about UAH putting out a line out his best line that didn't care if they touched the puck. I'm like 98% sure that was Reid-Pierce-Fletcher, which I somewhat flippantly called the Bulldog Line after watching them just forecheck the contrails off of Air Force one night. All you have to know about Craig Pierce is that he busts his *** on every shift and is the only Charger who's a + on the year; Fletcher is even, and Reid is -1. They will take chances when it comes down to it, and they do score (they're 4-6—10, with Pierce having three Ginos), but they know that their job is to be a shutdown line. I'm hoping that Fletch will have a different role next year, because he was effective as an all-around forward as a freshman, but we have to have that one line that can lock it down.

The best scoring line is Prince-Saulnier-Kestner. Now, they all have flaws: Jack is slow, Brennan takes unbelievably bad penalties, and Josh is skinny and adjusting to the college game. But when they're moving, man, you see glimpses. They're 5-12—17 on the year, and they're really picking it up.

McHugh is the leading scorer, but it seems that he gets jostled around between the other five forwards in the lineup. Brears has solid games and then seems to disappear to my eyes. Vanderlugt, when healthy, takes up a lot of space and has a good shot. It's been really hard to see him be banged up this year, because he came out like a ball of fire and was playing better than he ever had.

Last bits: Salhany has some speed and is still figuring out how to finish — last home game, he went full Rolston and went for the breakaway slapper. Marooney is a big kid with decent fit that plays an all-around game. I'm hoping that he puts it all together in the second half. You see glimpses.

A lot of our scoring comes from the defensemen: 10 of the 31 goals come from the points, four from Misuraca and three from Carlson. They're not gonna be shy back there. They're also always at the ready on the draw in the offensive zone. It's not just a designed draw back to them, either —*if it gets to a winger, they know to push it back before everyone can fully get in the lanes.

I don't know that you'll see UAH take points, but you will see UAH give you everything they've got. I'll be watching, but UAHstatman will be tweeting and recapping (poor guy, he lives in Eastern Time) this weekend. I was possibly going to be out of town this weekend, but since I am here in town, I'm going to the company Christmas party, and ... well, maybe I need to not tweet after that ... [or maybe I should]

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          Our team is built from the crease out. Guerriero is obviously the key, and Carlson is the stalwart in back. The freshmen D (Parker, Champagne, Buri) are the best pack of incoming blueliners we've had in some time. Frank Misuraca has a solid shot, slap or wrist, and whoever you get between Graeme Strukoff and Ben Reinhardt, who've had some health issues this year, will be a solid blue-collar guy, although Struky tends to take penalties.

As you can see from the scoresheet, we're still a work in progress up front when it comes to scoring. A big problem has been depth and the threats of injuries to be whole. Carlson has had to play forward just to give us some jump when we're down to 11 forwards. We've only played 13 forwards this year, and with Jeff Vanderlugt out for a few weeks, what you saw was what you got. Shoot, there was one weekend when the lineup was so thin —*I believe it was Ferris — that we carried our third goalie just to reward him for busting his backside in practice. The young kids — McHugh, Saulnier, Kestner — are catching up to the speed of D-I, though Max is closer having been far nearer in the USHL than Kesty in the GOJHL.

Mel Pearson won't stop talking about UAH putting out a line out his best line that didn't care if they touched the puck. I'm like 98% sure that was Reid-Pierce-Fletcher, which I somewhat flippantly called the Bulldog Line after watching them just forecheck the contrails off of Air Force one night. All you have to know about Craig Pierce is that he busts his *** on every shift and is the only Charger who's a + on the year; Fletcher is even, and Reid is -1. They will take chances when it comes down to it, and they do score (they're 4-6—10, with Pierce having three Ginos), but they know that their job is to be a shutdown line. I'm hoping that Fletch will have a different role next year, because he was effective as an all-around forward as a freshman, but we have to have that one line that can lock it down.

The best scoring line is Prince-Saulnier-Kestner. Now, they all have flaws: Jack is slow, Brennan takes unbelievably bad penalties, and Josh is skinny and adjusting to the college game. But when they're moving, man, you see glimpses. They're 5-12—17 on the year, and they're really picking it up.

McHugh is the leading scorer, but it seems that he gets jostled around between the other five forwards in the lineup. Brears has solid games and then seems to disappear to my eyes. Vanderlugt, when healthy, takes up a lot of space and has a good shot. It's been really hard to see him be banged up this year, because he came out like a ball of fire and was playing better than he ever had.

Last bits: Salhany has some speed and is still figuring out how to finish — last home game, he went full Rolston and went for the breakaway slapper. Marooney is a big kid with decent fit that plays an all-around game. I'm hoping that he puts it all together in the second half. You see glimpses.

A lot of our scoring comes from the defensemen: 10 of the 31 goals come from the points, four from Misuraca and three from Carlson. They're not gonna be shy back there. They're also always at the ready on the draw in the offensive zone. It's not just a designed draw back to them, either —*if it gets to a winger, they know to push it back before everyone can fully get in the lanes.

I don't know that you'll see UAH take points, but you will see UAH give you everything they've got. I'll be watching, but UAHstatman will be tweeting and recapping (poor guy, he lives in Eastern Time) this weekend. I was possibly going to be out of town this weekend, but since I am here in town, I'm going to the company Christmas party, and ... well, maybe I need to not tweet after that ... [or maybe I should]

GFM
          That was a lucid and intelligent response. OVERRULED.

(My Cousin Vinny, possibly the best Alabama movie ever).
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            That was a lucid and intelligent response. OVERRULED.

(My Cousin Vinny, possibly the best Alabama movie ever).
            Mmmmmm ... I don't know about that. It's a great movie, but Talladega Nights is very, very Alabama. Of course, it's the part of Alabama that I don't exactly love.

I love that I then went on to tweet (from my personal account) about that Bulldog Line and Pierce in particular. That led to 19 texting me and telling me how bored he was. The healthy players got to make the trip, so I'm sure that they're getting some good team bonding.

Are any of you making the return trip down?

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Yes a lot of us do care. A lot of people are still very glad that there is still a div 1 team in Huntsville. Too bad they have to travel that far. UAH might be a laughing stock to some, but those guys who have stuck it out for that school and didn't quit deserve a pat on the back.
              UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

UAH isn't afraid to travel anywhere and everywhere. We've been to Fairbanks and Orono multiple times, and I know that we'll go to Tempe if we can get a series. It would just be cool to get two home NC series some years.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Mmmmmm ... I don't know about that. It's a great movie, but Talladega Nights is very, very Alabama. Of course, it's the part of Alabama that I don't exactly love.

I love that I then went on to tweet (from my personal account) about that Bulldog Line and Pierce in particular. That led to 19 texting me and telling me how bored he was. The healthy players got to make the trip, so I'm sure that they're getting some good team bonding.

Are any of you making the return trip down?

GFM
                  I love Talladega Nights too, but My Cousin Vinny was gold.

To answer your other question, I'd love to make that trip someday but not this year. Probably when Squarebanks Junior is a few years older.

Comment

I love Talladega Nights too, but My Cousin Vinny was gold.

To answer your other question, I'd love to make that trip someday but not this year. Probably when Squarebanks Junior is a few years older.
                    I haven't seen it in years. Maybe I'll make my Virginia-born girlfriend watch it.

I think that the Tech people will vouch for it being a good trip. Lance West could probably do a good job showing a Nanook traveling party around town.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM
                      Staying up past 1:30 a.m. writing a recap for uahhockey.com HECK YEAH!!!

Actually, I'm also an Oakland A's fan out here and watch a lot of their games, so staying up that late on Friday and Saturday nights is not a big deal to me.
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I haven't seen it in years. Maybe I'll make my Virginia-born girlfriend watch it.

I think that the Tech people will vouch for it being a good trip. Lance West could probably do a good job showing a Nanook traveling party around town.

GFM
                        Just trolling so I'll save the comments on maybe showing folks around _airbanks for another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                          Just trolling so I'll save the comments on maybe showing folks around _airbanks for another thread.
                          Is Huntsville coming to Anchorage this year? You could show them the campground at the landfill.

Comment

Is Huntsville coming to Anchorage this year? You could show them the campground at the landfill.
                            Seeing as you're not trolling I'll forgive your very gross exaggeration and see you on the appropriate thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                              Seeing as you're not trolling I'll forgive your very gross exaggeration and see you on the appropriate thread.
                              Well, I am learning from two of the all time greats at trolling.

Comment

Working...
                              X