New UND name to replace Fighting Sioux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New UND name to replace Fighting Sioux

I am suggesting a new name. it is the "Spirit Hawks." It can also be combined together as "SpiritHawks" or Spirithawks. The rationale is that one nearby Sioux nation which didn't want the name to disappear is close by Spirit Lake (i.e., Devils Lake, a corruption that took hold from caucasians). Another reason for the word spirit is that it is about the same as energy, even more, in sports. How many universities, colleges, or any teams of any sort have a name which includes the word spirit?

Not very many at all. A google search led me to find close to nothing .....

Hawks is a normal word, but not all that common for team names. It is politically correct, at least until hawks are able to speak. A nice name, respectable, kinda aggressive-sounding. There are lots of hawks in and around North Dakota. There is one who, for the past four years or so, decided to dine on mourning doves in my own back yard. My wife saw a pile of little feathers, after noticing a BIG hawk sitting on our fence ....

Any comments are welcome.
    No more slow starts to the season; we got over that hurdle. Now, Get it on!!! GO UND!!!

New nick is coming up. I recommend Spirithawks.

Character is what a person is; reputation is what he is supposed to be. (Abbott)

Re: New UND name to replace Fighting Sioux

I vote for the 7th Cavalry.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Just what I needed, after not posting for about 8 months.
      No more slow starts to the season; we got over that hurdle. Now, Get it on!!! GO UND!!!

New nick is coming up. I recommend Spirithawks.

Character is what a person is; reputation is what he is supposed to be. (Abbott)

Comment

Originally posted by Slash01 View Post
        I am suggesting a new name. it is the "Spirit Hawks." It can also be combined together as "SpiritHawks" or Spirithawks. The rationale is that one nearby Sioux nation which didn't want the name to disappear is close by Spirit Lake (i.e., Devils Lake, a corruption that took hold from caucasians). Another reason for the word spirit is that it is about the same as energy, even more, in sports. How many universities, colleges, or any teams of any sort have a name which includes the word spirit?

Not very many at all. A google search led me to find close to nothing .....

Hawks is a normal word, but not all that common for team names. It is politically correct, at least until hawks are able to speak. A nice name, respectable, kinda aggressive-sounding. There are lots of hawks in and around North Dakota. There is one who, for the past four years or so, decided to dine on mourning doves in my own back yard. My wife saw a pile of little feathers, after noticing a BIG hawk sitting on our fence ....

Any comments are welcome.
        Sofa King stupid.
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

I thought they already changed it to the Flickertails?
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Surely North Dakota wouldn't want to be confused with another hockey team with the word "hawks" in their name.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              Surely North Dakota wouldn't want to be confused with another hockey team with the word "hawks" in their name.
              The Riverhawks? That'd make sense, though!
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Chickenhawks has a nice ring to it. Dude, you teed this one up and we are hitting long.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

sure, they could just call themselves "the second team in the conference that changed their name to hawks from one that offended the tribes."
                  it's a bit long, but it gets easier with practice.
                  Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Whioux has grown comfortable, and it at least has meaning.

And our fans can finish the anthem with a question.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Whioux has grown comfortable, and it at least has meaning.

And our fans can finish the anthem with a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        The Riverhawks? That'd make sense, though!
                        I was referring to the Blackhawks. Stole their logo, then stole their goal song. Why not just go all the way?
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I was referring to the Blackhawks. Stole their logo, then stole their goal song. Why not just go all the way?
                          Shouldn't they wait until marriage?
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                            Shouldn't they wait until marriage?
                            If they're old fashioned. Who does that anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              BTW, Slap, hope you are safe and dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X