Ohio State vs Minnesota-Duluth 12/5 - 12/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Minnesota-Duluth 12/5 - 12/6

Ohio State went on the road this past weekend and defeated Robert Morris 5-1 in a single game on Friday night. The Buckeyes are now 8-7-1 and 5-6-1 in the WCHA. That puts the Buckeyes in 5th place with 17 points, three points behind UMD who sits in 4th place with 20 points. North Dakota has moved into the third spot with 21 points. Setting in 6th place and only three points behind Ohio State with 14 points is Bemidji, so this is an important series for Ohio State (they all are, really) when you check the schedule and see that there is a bye week the weekend of 12/12 - 12/14, then on 12/19 - 12/20, OSU heads to Bemidji for round two of the WCHA slate (OSU swept Bemidji at home earlier this season). Scoring for the Buckeyes has been spread around this season, and for the most part the defense has been pretty good. We have gotten solid goaltending from freshman Kassidy Sauve, who has been the starter for most of the season. Backup goaltender Stacy Danczak has been solid also when given the opportunity. Danczak was in net for last Friday's 5-1 win over Robert Morris. Safe travels to the UMD fans who are able to make the trip down. Let us know about your season so far and what we can look for this weekend.

Re: Ohio State vs Minnesota-Duluth 12/5 - 12/6

Should be a great series. Friday's game against BSU saw the Dogs reverting back to their playing ways of the last few years (ie., taking slap shots from the point after one pass, not passing much at all, sloppy passing.) they turned it around in Saturday's game with great passing on the first goal. Much of the success this year has been because of a team first mentality and making the extra pass to find open line mates. The first (McParland, Brykaliuk, and Mrázová) and second (Huertas, Hickel, Stalder) lines have incredible chemistry. Stalder has struggled the last couple series but Huertas and Hickel have really done a good job of picking it up for that line. I expect more of what we saw out of them in the 7-2 Cornell win. PK was awful on Friday against BSU but greatly improved Saturday. They seem to be more of a second and third period team. It usually takes about the first 20 minutes for them to settle into their game plan and get the feel of the game. Again, should be another great WCHA matchup

Comment

Thanks for the reply, CrankIt! Should be an interesting series.

Comment

This was a great game, from what I saw of it...from the OSU breakaway at the end of the second period and onward (trouble logging in and forgot about the time zone difference which didn't help).

OSU has some very serious speed and I don't think that I have seen them play with more confidence, cohesion and control...by a long shot. Everyone was on the same page...the quick break outs looked like a really well oiled machine and they had the upper hand in the OT. This one could have gone either way, from what I saw.

Were the first two periods the same?...very evenly matched and fast?

And it also looked like one of the biggest crowds I've seen at an OSU game if not the biggest. Seemed like a really exciting atmosphere.

Really impressed with OSU.

Looking forward to seeing a full game tomorrow.

Comment

Blackbeard, thanks for the post. I enjoy hearing from you. Sorry you only got to see the last part of the game! The first two periods were as you stated ... fast and evenly matched. It was really an evenly played game. If there is one thing Coach Handrahan has done here, it has been he has improved our speed. I don't know if that is because he is bringing in better players or if he and his staff do a better job of developing our kids in regard to their skating, but there are few teams that will outskate us these days. We still have a tough go of it against loaded teams like Wisconsin and Minnesota, but tonight's game was evenly matched, back-and-forth. Many of us thought one of UMD's goals was kicked in, but that stuff happens, and I am not going to dwell on that. The Bulldogs got the extra point in the shootout. The Minnesota-Duluth goals were scored by Ashleigh Brykaliuk and Katerina Mrazova in regulation. The story on ohiostatebuckeyes.com did not say who scored the shootout goal for UMD, but it was a pretty move. Ohio State's goals were scored by seniors Danielle Gagne and Taylor Kuehl. Ohio State had a slight edge in SOG, 33-30. The goaltenders on both sides were pretty stingy tonight with Kayla Black stopping 31 shots and Stacy Danczak stopping 28 shots. Really, it was a well played game between two pretty evenly matched teams. Both teams worked very hard and shouldn't have any trouble falling asleep tonight, that is for sure. Should be an interesting rematch tomorrow. Tomorrow's game is also a 6:07 pm start EST. That's 5:07 pm for you, my friend! Don't be late!
          Last edited by osualum86; 12-05-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            Tonight's game was evenly matched, back-and-forth... The Bulldogs got the extra point in the shootout...
            In an ideal world, the game ends in a tie. Under the agreed upon rules, UMD very much deserved the two points they were awarded.

The story on ohiostatebuckeyes.com did not say who scored the shootout goal for UMD, but it was a pretty move.
            I can help with that! Jenna McParland supplemented her fine game with the shootout winning goal. For further details, see the 3 Stars on the WCHA thread.

Comment

I think we can all agree the reffing was pretty terrible for both teams. Brykaliuk's goal should not have counted (although I'm glad it did.) My understanding of the reviewed second OSU goal was that the ref determined there WAS a skater in the crease but because only half of her skate and not the whole skate was in the crease the goal still counts (which doesn't really make any sense.) Probably knew they messed up the UMD goal call and felt they owed OSU that call. Overall, UMD didn't play their best. Tried to make the hard passes instead of the easier passes to generate chances. Should be another good game tonight

Comment

UMD 0 - OSU 0 after one.

Fast but not as much flow as last night's game, yet. Maybe that's due to each team's adjustments after last night.

Entertaining female colour commentator to say the least.

Some examples:

"They're both playing aggressively but UMD, you're going to see skilled players because they're not American players, they're European players." HUH???

"I had the opportunity to go to Minnesota-Duluth, several times, and it's in the middle of nowhere, THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!"

"When you've got the Schmitts at 5'11" and they're going down from the little Duluth 5'5" players, that's dirty play."

Looking forward to more comedy in the second period.

Comment

[QUOTE=Blackbeard;6055816

"When you've got the Schmitts at 5'11" and they're going down from the little Duluth 5'5" players, that's dirty play."
                  [/QUOTE]

Lot of diving going on by all of OSU and the Schmitt's especially

Comment

UMD 3 - OSU 1 after two. SOG 20-16 for UMD.

Gorgeous move by Huertas with the puck to stop the play on the semi breakaway, thereby involving the OSU defender as interference, and then 5 holeing the shorthanded goal.

And beautiful toe drag by Mrazova to bag her marker.

UMD has taken control of the play in the 2nd period.

More comedy from the colour commentator:

After a UMD trip on one of the Schmitts...something to the effect that "UMD are the...(hesitation/silence)...I'm just going to say it, UMD are the Boston Bruins of Women's Hockey and I'm not liking it, not liking it."

After complaining several times about UMD's physical play "this physicality with UMD, that's hockey, and you're going to get it with UMD and UM but OSU has to...." Huh?

And then..."every female player wants to body check but the rules don't allow it...if the ref's aren't going to call it then, yeah, throw an elbow in there and a hip check." Huh?? Does she pay attention to anything she says? HAHAHA.

Then after calling UMD the Boston Bruins of Women's Hockey she refers to their skill by calling them "the Patrick Kanes of Women's Hockey."

And with respect to the ref's..."we know what cars they drive."

She's hilarious...ok, back to the comedy show.
                    Last edited by Blackbeard; 12-06-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

UMD 4 - OSU 1 final with McParland bagging an empty netter.

UMD with too many stupid/needless/undisciplined penalties...which disrupted the control of play which they had established in the second period, as the colour commentator accurately pointed out.

Seems like someone pulled the plug on her in the 3rd...too bad, colourful colour commentary...she at least kept it lively.

Comment

UMD played a strong game and controlled the play. The many penalties that they took likely kept the game closer than it could have been. Not sure what happened but it looks like the Buckeyes goalie was injured late in the game. The Buckeyes would be best served by declining PP opportunities. Not pretty and what I don't get is you have a team that is really struggling on the PP and you pull your goalie with 2:30 minutes left when they were much more effective 5 on 5. Having said that, the commentator kept it quite entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                          The Buckeyes would be best served by declining PP opportunities.
                          I know what you mean. I said that more than once about the 'Dogs during the last two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                            I know what you mean. I said that more than once about the 'Dogs during the last two seasons.
                            Glad I was actually at the game and didn't have to hear the commentary on BuckeyeVision. Sounds a little embarrassing. UMD outplayed us today and earned this one. We had a rough second period and the Bulldogs capitalized with a shorthanded goal and a breakaway goal. Ohio State couldn't get anything going today other than Lauren Spring's goal in the second period. UMD really clamped down on D today and that enabled them to get a W today and five of the six points this weekend. Congrats to the Bulldogs and hope everyone who made it down has a safe, uneventful trip back home!

Comment

Here's the Meghan Huertas short handed GWG from yesterday for anyone who may have missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFAdi-qTV8

Comment

Working...
                              X