Bowdoin-Colby 2014 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowdoin-Colby 2014 Edition

My first Bowdoin-Colby game was during the 1961-1962 season. I guess you could say I've had a lot of time to reflect on the rivalry. Yet, every year, I start over again. And so, here I am with just four hours to go until game time, and I've stopped working, and have started to shut out the world around me. I hear Bowdoin's President is going to drop the puck tonight. When does the president of such a prestigious educational institution so acknowledge the importance of a D-III hockey game?

This year, my focus on the nature of the rivalry is its compactness. Unlike say Michigan-Ohio State in football, or Notre Dame and any of their so-called rivals (there are about five of them), this game has a more private importance. While it sometimes gets national attention, it matters only to the insiders, the students, alumni, faculty of the two schools, and, perhaps, the residents of Brunswick and Waterville. I'll be watching all alone with my computer plugged into my large, flat-screen TV in Yellow Springs, OH. But alumni groups from each of the schools will be viewing the webcast in venues all over the country, sometimes even together. We realize that we can't have this wonderful thing without each other. On those rare nights that Bowdoin is playing and Colby is not, I find myself rooting for the Polar Bears. We are in this together... We are insiders and, together, tonight and tomorrow night we will shut out the rest of the world and hold our little private party.

Last year, Colby celebrated its bicentennial. Bowdoin has been around a few years longer. I read somewhere that, when Colby was first founded, the trustees didn't know what to pay the faculty. They looked 50 miles to the south and decided, we'll pay them the same as Bowdoin does. And so it started.

Have a good game!
    Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Despite the outcome, I thought both teams played well. Colby's young team showed a great deal of poise. They showed they can play with anyone. Their first goal, less than a minute into the game, was textbook breakout hockey. I could watch a game like this every night. Shots were even. The difference was the two Bowdoin power play goals. Colby still needs work on the penalty kill and power play. Looking forward to tonight.

Comment

Re: Bowdoin-Colby 2014 Edition

I watched the game last night, trying to educate myself on some of the great DIII rivalries and this one didn't disappoint. Great hockey game and the place looked like it was rocking.
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Re: Bowdoin-Colby 2014 Edition

A great rivalry indeed. It would be nice to see the Mules contend in the NESCAC again to up the stakes a bit.
        Go Polar Bears Plaaaay Hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by polarbearfan View Post
          A great rivalry indeed. It would be nice to see the Mules contend in the NESCAC again to up the stakes a bit.
          Bowdoin was consistently better than Colby this weekend. Both games went very much the same. Surprises were Colby's early scoring in both games and the shots on goal in the second game. It looks like the bears' freshman goalie is a keeper.

After the sudden departure of Tortorella and a year of an interim coach, Colby went a couple years with very little recruiting. They are just recovering from that, with a very young team of mostly promising freshman and sophomores. I think coach MacDonald is doing a good job and I hope he sticks around for the long haul. I think this team shows promise and the coach is taking the long view. He has two senior goalies with experience, but has chosen to stay with the freshman Verrier for four games now. I fully expected to see Sam Parker for last night's game. I guess he has a plan. I sure hope so.

Look for this Mule team to get better as the season progresses. Bowdoin, meanwhile, is off to a great start. I wish them well.
          Last edited by OhioMule; 11-23-2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X