Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Penn State/Arizona State - which will have the bigger impact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State/Arizona State - which will have the bigger impact?

Given what we know about how the dominoes fell across the college hockey landscape when Penn State elevated its program to D-1 and what we have heard so far regarding ASU's ascension to D-1 hockey and the potential domino effect, which program's move to D-1 will have the larger overall impact on college hockey?

Re: Penn State/Arizona State - which will have the bigger impact?

I think ASU's effect will simply be to get Pac 12 teams, rather than all the realignment that happened when Penn State when they announced. So I think PSU's impact was bigger.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      I think ASU's effect will simply be to get Pac 12 teams, rather than all the realignment that happened when Penn State when they announced. So I think PSU's impact was bigger.
      Agreed, several other BigTen(/14) teams were already established in two major AQ conferences. When the BigTen came in and ripped it all apart to bring PSU into the fold, the entire landscape changed, mostly out of unwarranted fear.

Honestly if ASU joins, I see nothing but good things for the D1 hockey landscape. Opens more recruiting areas, grows the sport, and encourages other Pac12 schools to man up. The Oregon Ducks have had a very successful ACHA D1 team for some time. Since most if not all of these schools are D1 NCAA for nearly every other sport, it makes sense...
      Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Will ASU cause the complete restructuring of two conferences and the creation of a brand new other?

Comment

I think whichever team finds success the quickest, in terms of, at least reaching the Frozen Four, will get the nod. Penn State hasn't done anything earth-shattering (and it's foolish to think that they would after just one season)... but they kind of set this all off....so now it's time to validate. But it's good for the sport, to see new schools competing in hockey. You want earth-shattering? You just wait until USF makes their announcement! Hook em' Horns!
          I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

assuming nchc is the league for asu when the time comes?

Comment

Obviously in the short term, PSU was a nuclear bomb.

Long term though, imagine 20 years down the road and 10-15 new programs west of Denver. Of course, that couldn't possibly happen though.

Sure, the restructuring of conferences (due to the PSU domino) seems like a big deal in the here and now, but 10 years from now, it'll be a blip. A new generation of fans won't know any different. In addition, conference realignment is an everyday reality in all sports now. It's the norm.

If college hockey expands west and into the northwest though, that would be radically different than what we've seen in our lifetimes. Might even increase the demand for games to be televised which could give the sport even more exposure.

I for one would love to see that happen.

I believe the westward expansion will also expedite B1G schools adding teams.

You may say, I'm a dreamer...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                You may say, I'm a dreamer...
                Would love to see Illinois get some teams (UofI, Northwestern, NIU), but only for selfish reasons of having college hockey in my back yard, especially with the last two.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Would love to see Illinois get some teams (UofI, Northwestern, NIU), but only for selfish reasons of having college hockey in my back yard, especially with the last two.

I'd like to see that too. Would give us some more local teams to have rivalries with and shorter road trips.

NIU would be a sweet little jaunt.

Used to watch UIC on Sportschannel growing up.

Comment

when's the first rose bowl classic?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      when's the first rose bowl classic?
                      Stop giving them ideas
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        I'm curious as to why you think this. Not saying you're wrong, but I just didn't put the two together.

I would have thought if anything would trigger other Big 10 schools to add hockey, it would have been PSU's move and the establishment of the BTHC. Obviously we're still early, but so far I don't think we've seen much movement in that regard. So I'm curious why teams starting up at ASU, and maybe other western schools might cause something that establishment of the BTHC has not.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think any of these moves are school-driven. Programs will be added only if the right ingredients come together. You probably have to have a moderately successful club program. You need someone (read: wealthy alum(s)) willing to pony up substantial money for start up and initial funding requirements (including for a women's team). You need a decent arena to play in, or a ton more money from the wealthy donors. Finally, someone has to get off their butts and actually start the process.

I think that has to happen at each school that wants to start a program, whether it's a western school where no others are playing, or a Big 10 school that already has the league structure in place.

And, the financial requirements are only going to get larger as schools move into the athlete compensation packages.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          I'm curious as to why you think this. Not saying you're wrong, but I just didn't put the two together.

I would have thought if anything would trigger other Big 10 schools to add hockey, it would have been PSU's move and the establishment of the BTHC. Obviously we're still early, but so far I don't think we've seen much movement in that regard. So I'm curious why teams starting up at ASU, and maybe other western schools might cause something that establishment of the BTHC has not.
                          \

Just a gut feeling that there will be a domino effect to a limited degree.

There are 1%ers out there with money to donate who want to leave legacy behind. The question will eventually be asked, "Why not us?"

I know many will doubt that this is possible, but 5 years ago, who saw PSU coming? Who really believed that ASU would happen till yesterday?

More will follow.

Comment

Maybe Wisconsin will start playing D1 in hockey? It could happen folks.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                              Maybe Wisconsin will start playing D1 in hockey? It could happen folks.
                              Shots. Fired.
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                              X