Buffalo next to go D1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo next to go D1?

Let's Play Hockey reporting that Penn State benefactor Terry Pegula is trying to help Univ. of Buffalo elevate its program to D-I
    https://***********/chnews/status/534846581993115648

If Ohio University and Kent State didn't drop hockey, there could be enough for MAC hockey.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Re: Buffalo next to go D1?

then there's this:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/niaga ... e-20141005
    on October 5, 2014 - 12:01 AM
    "Western New Yorkers can put the idea of the University at Buffalo adding Division I hockey on the back burner. Athletic director Danny White has said there are no plans to consider adding the sport.

“I get the question all the time,” White said. “Does it make sense? Yeah. It’s the No. 1 hockey market in the country. Sure it makes a lot of sense. But we’re not going to realize our potential until we figure out this football thing, figure out how to consistently be competitive in football and be good at all the sports we have. When we do that, we’ll generate more revenue and maybe we’ll be in a different position. But right now, I don’t see how it’s something we could look at realistically.“
    Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

As much as the last few years have taught us to never say never, I'd say that the Buffalo AD has been quite clear that they aren't coming next.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Buffalo's getting 2 feet of snow today. In November. Worst road trip ever.

Comment

As a Buffalo alum I'm happy for ASU....and very jealous. The needs to realize its potential and measure its limitations fielding sports like baseball and a mediocre football product.

Comment

They would probably want to join the AHA and I would much much rather have Navy or a Connecticut team join than a third Buffalo team in our conference. Keep playing football, UB.
            RIT Tigers

Comment

If someone with a pocketful of cash came knocking (Mr. Pegula) I bet the Buffalo AD would change his tune.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                then there's this:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/niaga ... e-20141005
                on October 5, 2014 - 12:01 AM
                "Western New Yorkers can put the idea of the University at Buffalo adding Division I hockey on the back burner. Athletic director Danny White has said there are no plans to consider adding the sport.

“I get the question all the time,” White said. “Does it make sense? Yeah. It’s the No. 1 hockey market in the country. Sure it makes a lot of sense. But we’re not going to realize our potential until we figure out this football thing, figure out how to consistently be competitive in football and be good at all the sports we have. When we do that, we’ll generate more revenue and maybe we’ll be in a different position. But right now, I don’t see how it’s something we could look at realistically.“
                You know, after nine winning seasons in forty years, maybe you should try something besides that football thing, since it appears the football thing isn't working out too well.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Buffalo's getting 2 feet of snow today. In November. Worst road trip ever.
                  Try 6 feet.
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

Considering there are a ton of what-ifs flying around since ASU's announcement......In a re-shuffle, I think RIT is better fit for ECAC. Move over so Buffalo can join the Atlantic.

Comment

Originally posted by College_Hockey_Fan View Post
                      Considering there are a ton of what-ifs flying around since ASU's announcement......In a re-shuffle, I think RIT is better fit for ECAC. Move over so Buffalo can join the Atlantic.
                      If only. There's no room and I completely blame Uconn for that. Yes, I'm bitter.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by College_Hockey_Fan View Post
                        The addition of Penn State to NCAA DI hockey hasn't proved to be as drastic as many originally thought. Other than the break-up of the CCHA and some other minor shifts. It might spark future growth in Big10 Hockey but hasn't drastically upset the balance.

I figured it was something that would happen in 10-20 years but ASU jumped in with the donations. Arizona State may be the catalyst for more drastic changes. 1) Westward expansion of NCAA DI Hockey. Other schools in the western US that might have had an interest have been put off because there's been no competition west of the Rockies. Now ASU provides one. Look for possible expansion into California and the Northwest over the next 5-10 years.
                        In more traditional hockey areas, ADs, such as UB's, that previously had hockey on the backburner might look harder at the option - "IF Arizona State can, why can't we..." Some schools that are logical fits are UB, Central Mich, Ohio, Kent State, Rhode Island, Columbia, Penn, Stony Brook. If some or even just a few decided to proceed, the further shakeup in college hockey could be big.

ASU's decision could also revive the CCHA (logos and copyrights held by BGSU). Some NCHC programs like Miami and Western Michigan have already had gripes about increased travel, the new league hasn't given them much added national exposure either after Notre Dame switched to Hockey East. A CCHA 2.0 league centered in the great lakes region would provide for any further expansion with its own spots to fill plus spots in Atlantic Hockey from some members such as RMU and Hurst switching over.

The what-ifs are fun to think about and ASU adding NCAA Hockey may provide to be a big turning point in college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                          If only. There's no room and I completely blame Uconn for that. Yes, I'm bitter.
                          Just give the Ivy's their own division. Kinda like how the ECAC was split up from 1979 to 1984.

And I doubt we'll ever see the ECAC from 1963-64 return. Twenty nine teams in one conference?!?
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                          X