Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    I think that if the PAC12 conference happens then we possibly see another tournament expansion with 20 teams in the tournament with 2 play in games.
    I hope not. The tournament can't find suitable locations for the 4 regionals they have now, half the time. We don't need to add four more games that no one will pay to see to the mix. I don't want to see another expansion to the tournament field until we either see far more than 64 teams or the tournament becomes a more successful product in terms of TV ratings (never gonna happen) or at the gate consistently at all 4 regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
      I think that if the PAC12 conference happens then we possibly see another tournament expansion with 20 teams in the tournament with 2 play in games.
      The NCAA has a preference for its tournaments to include approx. 25% of the teams playing in that division. So hockey would have to add about 20 teams (around 80 total) for the NCAA to bump the tourney to 20 teams.

Comment

Great day for us hockey fans in Arizona! I had hoped for this for awhile, and the AD had made noises about wanting to do this recently, but I really didn't expect it to happen anytime soon, if ever. The club team has been building for a number of years, culminating in winning the national title last season. Sure there will be growing pains and there's a number of things to sort out, but I think they'll sort it out and the program will eventually thrive. There are other arena options, including some renovation of Wells Fargo arena (ASU's basketball arena), maybe the Coyotes arena in Glendale, or the old Madhouse on Mcdowell (the Suns' old arena and where minor league hockey has played for many years). I've been very impressed with Anderson since he came on as ASU's AD and I don't think they'd move forward on this unless they had a good idea of what they were doing and that it had a good probability of working. It'd be great to land in the NCHC, where my UMD Bulldogs are. Then I'd get to see the doggies come to town regularly, though it'd be tough to decide which of my alma maters to root for when they would face each other. It's a good day for hockey in Arizona!
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

To correct some mis conceptions, the chances are strong that they would charter out to all the away games, except alaska. Figure 15 to 20 dollars per nautical mile each way for the cost of transportation. That would mean also that whether they play in Bemidji or omaha or the springs is immaterial, they all have runways. Most big ten teams charter now btw. In other words, what league they might join is not really affected by the travel.

I think 32 million is pretty light if they really want to endow the whole thing.

Just my opinion though. Any civil engineers out there that can speak to how much it might cost to build a 7000 seat free standing rink?
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            Just my opinion though. Any civil engineers out there that can speak to how much it might cost to build a 7000 seat free standing rink?
            $55 to $60 Million
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

To correct some mis conceptions, the chances are strong that they would charter out to all the away games, except alaska. Figure 15 to 20 dollars per nautical mile each way for the cost of transportation. That would mean also that whether they play in Bemidji or omaha or the springs is immaterial, they all have runways. Most big ten teams charter now btw. In other words, what league they might join is not really affected by the travel.

I think 32 million is pretty light if they really want to endow the whole thing.

It may not affect Arizona State, but it would affect the other members of their league that have to travel there.

Omaha's new 7500-seat arena cost about $80 million for the actual arena. ASU's plan at the moment seems to renovating their crappy ice arena or adding ice making capabilities to their basketball arena, which are both probably around the $10+ million range.
              Originally posted by dicaslover
              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Long term a source of funding that will become available for ASU athletics is revenue from the commercial/office district they are developing along the Tempe Town Lake. Short term any revenue from that is likely to go toward funding of Sun Devil Stadium renovations, but once the stadium is renovated, those funds will be available to go other directions, so that could be a help long term in providing hockey facilities in some fashion.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

RIT's 4000 seat arena (4300 capacity) cost $38 mil
                  Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                  College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                  Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                  Men's Frozen Four 2010
                  Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                  Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Yeah, the Coyotes are just killing it down there - certainly a hockey hotbed with tens of thousands of fans just screaming for a hockey team.
                    Yes, please, let's compare the prospects of an un-competative NHL team (outside of minor recent success) whose located 45 minutes from the city center to a college team that is going to be located in the hot bed of an 80k student campus.

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Paying $5 to watch a club team is not the same as paying $20-$25 to watch a D-I hockey team. How many of those fans are going to come to games at 5 times the cost just because they're suddenly playing teams they don't play in any other sports.
                    The only way ASU gets away with charging $20-30 per ticket is if they're winning titles. AHA tickets are more aptly priced in the $6-20 range which would fill seats in Tempe.
                    RIT Tigers

Comment

A negative view on ASU moving to D1

http://sbnation.com/e/7010744
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        Such an easy schedule that gets them to the tournament once every 5 years. It apparently isn't easy enough
                        They've made it to the NCAA tournament 5 times in the last 9 seasons (and played really well while they were there), but nice try.
                        RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post

I'm sure Wisconsin views it negatively, after all it will be another school ahead of them in the PWR.

Being #59 is bad enough, but #60 is an all time low.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Going based off of Bill Robertson's comments over the summer about hockey expanding into the sun belt I'd say the WCHA is leader to pick up ASU.
                            Oh please, just say it isn't so... Unless ASU plans on picking up everyone's tab to come play them in AZ.

On the other hand if the WCHA member teams actually want ASU that should pretty much put to an end any thoughts of how broke the WCHA is...

If ASU wants to fly to every game, they might as well join Hockey East.

Ryan J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

At first when I started getting texts about this yesterday from gscott13 I thought it was a joke.

Apparently this is really happening. Still a joke, though.

And bad for college hockey IMO.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post

That wasnt much of a view. All he says is, it's vaguely bad cause small schools might not be able to compete at some future point when lots of big schools start playing.

Whenever that would be and whatever number the tipping point is.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X