Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
    With a 2-1 loss to Stony Brook in the semi-finals last night. ASU's time in the ACHA is officially over.
    Which means, get ready for some lean times, because they are a comein'.

If ASU plays a hybrid schedule next year, like PSU did their first season, as they have said that they are going to do, where PSU went 13-14-0, they may be capable of posting a record that looks somewhat like that one. If they play a schedule that looks more like what UNO played in their first season of existence, where they fielded a team with players that had never played together, as they were not a club team moving up, and where they played an fairly brutal schedule:

http://www.omavs.com/SportSelect.dbm...&Q_SEASON=1997

............they are going to get pounded on a regular basis. This UNO inaugural season schedule included 9 games against teams ranked in the USCHO poll at the time.

But, this led up to UNO playing in the CCHA tourney title game, their first season in any conference, in just their 3rd season of existence, pounding Michigan, 7-4, in the tourney semi-final, on national television, in Detroit, on St. Patrick's Day, in 1998.

I firmly believe that playing a pussified hybrid schedule is not in your best interest next season. I have wondered if Penn State would have been better off this season, a down year in the Big 10, had they not done this in '12-'13. They followed that season up with an 8-26-2 record last season, the first season they played a "real" schedule.

If they had thrown themselves to the dogs that first season, would they be better off this season? I say yes.

I firmly believe that ASU will be better off if they schedule "up" and not "down", in the long run.

It's hard to soar like eagles when you are flying with a flock of turkeys.

Just my historical perspective on the topic.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 03-10-2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      Which means, get ready for some lean times, because they are a comein'.

If ASU plays a hybrid schedule next year, like PSU did their first season, as they have said that they are going to do, where PSU went 13-14-0, they may be capable of posting a record that looks somewhat like that one. If they play a schedule that looks more like what UNO played in their first season of existence, where they fielded a team with players that had never played together, as they were not a club team moving up, and where they played an fairly brutal schedule:

http://www.omavs.com/SportSelect.dbm...&Q_SEASON=1997

............they are going to get pounded on a regular basis. This UNO inaugural season schedule included 9 games against teams ranked in the USCHO poll at the time.

But, this led up to UNO playing in the CCHA tourney title game, their first season in any conference, in just their 3rd season of existence, pounding Michigan, 7-4, in the tourney semi-final, on national television, in Detroit, on St. Patrick's Day, in 1998.

I firmly believe that playing a pussified hybrid schedule is not in your best interest next season. I have wondered if Penn State would have been better off this season, a down year in the Big 10, had they not done this in '12-'13. They followed that season up with an 8-26-2 record last season, the first season they played a "real" schedule.

If they had thrown themselves to the dogs that first season, would they be better off this season? I say yes.

I firmly believe that ASU will be better off if they schedule "up" and not "down", in the long run.

It's hard to soar like eagles when you are flying with a flock of turkeys.

Just my historical perspective on the topic.
      RIT played a hybrid schedule in 2005-06, then won the AHA regular season championship in 06-07. It's really not as bad as you think.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        RIT played a hybrid schedule in 2005-06, then won the AHA regular season championship in 06-07. It's really not as bad as you think.

Powers &8^]
        Aside from the US Under 18 team games, they played some DIII schools, but it was still mostly a DI schedule. Not to mention the AHA was not much better than a DIII conference. While some fans of bigger schools may disagree, the talent that is at the AHA is much better than it was when RIT joined.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

What happens is that the team recruits lots of freshmen the year they reach D1. And 2-3 years later, its chock full of upperclassmen and then does very well. See PSU.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
            Aside from the US Under 18 team games, they played some DIII schools, but it was still mostly a DI schedule. Not to mention the AHA was not much better than a DIII conference. While some fans of bigger schools may disagree, the talent that is at the AHA is much better than it was when RIT joined.
            I don't understand your point. All I'm saying is that a hybrid schedule (and we don't know ASU's schedule proportions at this point; it could be "mostly a DI schedule" too) is not a death knell.

Powers &8^]

Comment

It's interesting that the newest team to enter the D-I ranks is so far away. More power to them if ASU can financially pull it off.

Comment

Best of luck to ASU, they'll be logging a LOT of miles

Comment

ASU will play at UConn next season.

On Oct. 17, UConn will play Arizona State, a championship club program turned fledgling Division I program, at the XL Center.
                  http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-uconn...,4833306.story

Comment

Update:
                    First scheduled D1 Home games all but final to be vs Yale on Jan 8-9. To be seen if it will be out in Glendale at Gila River or at Oceanside. St. Cloud State has also been leaked to be on the schedule as an away game.

Another Commitment for next years team from Defenseman Nick Gushue of the BCHL Nanaimo Clippers. Bringing the total to 9 forwards, 4 defense, and 1 goalie recruited for next year.

Some more rumblings from the Big10 in terms of ASU joining as an associate member, possibly with Nebraska-Lincoln doing D1 for balance.

Comment

Update:
                      First scheduled D1 Home games all but final to be vs Yale on Jan 8-9. To be seen if it will be out in Glendale at Gila River or at Oceanside. St. Cloud State has also been leaked to be on the schedule as an away game.

Another Commitment for next years team from Defenseman Nick Gushue of the BCHL Nanaimo Clippers. Bringing the total to 9 forwards, 4 defense, and 1 goalie recruited for next year.

Some more rumblings from the Big10 in terms of ASU joining as an associate member, possibly with Nebraska-Lincoln doing D1 for balance.
                      Keep the info coming. I'm hoping RIT gets down to ASU so I can work in a visit to Tempe.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

I was skeptical. But when I saw some quotes from Heppel, it seems that the B1G is in fact interested. To my big surprise. Either would be big news. But UNL? Wow.

Just hoping that the conference as a whole remains at the top of the game.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          Just hoping that the conference as a whole remains at the top of the game.
                          [Looks at this year's NCAA field]

Yeah, we're doing bang-up job so far.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I just don't see ASU becoming a Big Ten associate member.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Rumor has it ASU is wanted by the WCHA, NCHA and even the Big Ten. It all comes down to the BTN if they OK it you can start planning your winter vacations around your club visiting Arizona. I don't know if this was the thread but Iowa is closer to starting up a team than Lincoln.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Has ASU announced where it's going to play its home games starting next season?
                                "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

Working...
                                X