Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    ASU.is.not.an.AAU.member.and.that.could.be.a.problem.
    USC.and.Stanford.are.both.private.and.wouldn't.hav e.to.justify.using.taxpayer.$$$,but.haven't.heard. any.rumblings.about.either.adding.hockey.
    I personally don't think ASU will ever become an affiliate member of the Big Ten but $$$ talks and like I said, if the Big Ten can parlay adding ASU for hockey into justification to get more money out of Arizona Cable providers, that might be enough.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      ASU.is.not.an.AAU.member.and.that.could.be.a.problem.
      USC.and.Stanford.are.both.private.and.wouldn't.hav e.to.justify.using.taxpayer.$$$,but.haven't.heard. any.rumblings.about.either.adding.hockey.
      "Stanford is already at 36 varsity sports and would probably need even more than Pegula-type cash to get an arena built on the Farm."

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-arizona-state
      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I personally don't think ASU will ever become an affiliate member of the Big Ten but $$$ talks and like I said, if the Big Ten can parlay adding ASU for hockey into justification to get more money out of Arizona Cable providers, that might be enough.
        You have some logic there. But even if the big ten completely forgot the big picture (no chance) and focuses strictly on the money, it still won't work. We're talking ice hockey and only ice hockey. Very few people in AZ will watch ASU on TV (based on viewership of schools in non hockey hotbeds)...and fewer yet in SoCal will watch ASU play a big ten school. In fact, I'd bet overall viewership would actually drop as existing higher viewership games are put at risk due to limited non conference games.

I wish ASU the very best, but the strategy doesn't work, the finances don't work, its just not going to happen.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          You have some logic there. But even if the big ten completely forgot the big picture (no chance) and focuses strictly on the money, it still won't work. We're talking ice hockey and only ice hockey. Very few people in AZ will watch ASU on TV (based on viewership of schools in non hockey hotbeds)...and fewer yet in SoCal will watch ASU play a big ten school. In fact, I'd bet overall viewership would actually drop as existing higher viewership games are put at risk due to limited non conference games.

I wish ASU the very best, but the strategy doesn't work, the finances don't work, its just not going to happen.
          i completely agree just throwing out a possible motive, it's the reason Rutgers and Maryland are full members...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by darker98 View Post
            Interesting. I guess that'd make them freshmen?
            . ASU is going to have a lot freshman next season.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
              Interesting. I guess that'd make them freshmen?
              I believe once you start attending college your 5-year window starts. So no, they would not all be freshmen.

Comment

Shirtless has it.. 5 yr clock.
                I think if the B1G looks past the short term of what ASU has... (I think things are rushed), I could see ASU or others added as affiliates. It's all about TV and markets.... and to a lesser degree reducing the big need for non conference scheduling for members, which with 6 teams is significant

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  I believe once you start attending college your 5-year window starts. So no, they would not all be freshmen.
                  Club hockey is recognized by the NCAA college hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan View Post
                    Club hockey is recognized by the NCAA college hockey?
                    no, the moment you start attending college as a full-time student your athletic eligibility clock starts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bertogliat View Post
                      No.

Club team members cannot claim they are college athletes.
                      So, club team members can't claim to be college athletes but they lose eligibility in the NCAA.

Comment

So, club team members can't claim to be college athletes but they lose eligibility in the NCAA.
                        I attended college and have exhausted my college eligibility, does that mean I was a college athlete?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          I attended college and have exhausted my college eligibility, does that mean I was a college athlete?
                          You guys have a pretty extensive IM broomball league in Houghton, right?

You were a college broomball player. Boom. College athlete.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            You guys have a pretty extensive IM broomball league in Houghton, right?

You were a college broomball player. Boom. College athlete.
                            Very true, I played in over 100 games, averaged over a point a game...won many conference titles and a league title or 2 in my day.

Comment

"college athlete" isn't a defined term by anyone accept the person claiming to be it. The NCAA refers to "NCAA athletes", the NAIA to "NAIA athletes," etc. There was a long SBNation article about the unaccredited College of Faith that basically exists to be fodder for other colleges in football and basketball. Are those kids "college athletes?" I guess.

I think a club player could claim to be a "college athlete" but he is not an "NCAA athlete."

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                I think a club player could claim to be a "college athlete" but he is not an "NCAA athlete."
                                ASU is an NCAA school? So, isn't an ASU club hockey player an NCAA athlete?
                                Last edited by #1collegehockeyfan; 02-19-2015, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X