Arizona State Moving To D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mngopherguy View Post
    If ASU really thinks they are going to join the Big Ten, they clearly didn't do their homework.

I am glad ASU is adding hockey, but I already don't like their attitudes. Seriously, they are already saying they are too good for Alaska teams? They think they should be in the Big Ten? it's as if ASU already thinks college hockey's survival depends on them.
    Who from ASU said they "should be in the Big Ten." Did someone in an official position actually say that, or did someone allude to exploring the possibility? Or was it merely fan or blogger speculation. I haven't seen anything remotely looking like attitude from Arizona State.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Everything the Big Ten does is based on grand strategic plan with wide reaching member benefits. Each member is evaluated on its impact on the overall national brand, NCAA leading network, top rate academics, and unique CIC agreements. Only one school ever has been invited as a special case, John Hopkins. What did it take for JHU to join? The creation of a new Lacrosse league for the conference for starters. But a bit more about JHU from wiki...it's the first research university in the Western Hemisphere and one of the founding members of the American Association of Universities, Johns Hopkins has ranked among the world’s top universities throughout its history. The National Science Foundation has ranked the university #1 among U.S. academic institutions in total science, medical, and engineering research and development spending for 31 consecutive years. Johns Hopkins is also ranked #12 in the U.S. News and World Report undergraduate program rankings for 2014 and was ranked 11th in the U.S. News and World Report Best Global University Rankings of 2014, outranking Princeton University, Yale University, University of Pennsylvania, and Cornell University. Over the course of almost 140 years, 36 Nobel Prize winners have been affiliated with Johns Hopkins (the first was U.S. President Woodrow Wilson, who received his Ph.D. in history and political science from the university). And with the CIC, the potential of this for the B1G is significant and signals what it takes to get into the conference.

I would bet large sums of money that no hockey school will be invited on its own...not North Dakota, not Denver, and not ASU.
      Believe me I know. I argued all of these points Ad Nauseam when the announcement was first made. I would not believe it myself if I had not heard it from several sources with some amount of authority on the matter within the past month.

Originally posted by mngopherguy View Post
      If ASU really thinks they are going to join the Big Ten, they clearly didn't do their homework.

I am glad ASU is adding hockey, but I already don't like their attitudes. Seriously, they are already saying they are too good for Alaska teams? They think they should be in the Big Ten? it's as if ASU already thinks college hockey's survival depends on them.
      Neither of those is what I've been saying. In terms of the Alaskan teams and the WCHA, the team would not pick them if given the choice of them or either the Big Ten or NCHC. On the subject of the Big 10 I simply have meant to say that from what I have heard is that the Big Ten has reached out to ASU in consideration that the team may join. Nothing guaranteed at all.

In other news UNO's Jake Montgomery has announced that he will be transfering to ASU, he will start playing in the 2016-2017 season as a redshirt sophomore.
      Last edited by SunDevilBob; 02-18-2015, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Everything the Big Ten does is based on grand strategic plan with wide reaching member benefits. Each member is evaluated on its impact on the overall national brand, NCAA leading network, top rate academics, and unique CIC agreements. Only one school ever has been invited as a special case, John Hopkins. What did it take for JHU to join? The creation of a new Lacrosse league for the conference for starters. But a bit more about JHU from wiki...it's the first research university in the Western Hemisphere and one of the founding members of the American Association of Universities, Johns Hopkins has ranked among the world’s top universities throughout its history. The National Science Foundation has ranked the university #1 among U.S. academic institutions in total science, medical, and engineering research and development spending for 31 consecutive years. Johns Hopkins is also ranked #12 in the U.S. News and World Report undergraduate program rankings for 2014 and was ranked 11th in the U.S. News and World Report Best Global University Rankings of 2014, outranking Princeton University, Yale University, University of Pennsylvania, and Cornell University. Over the course of almost 140 years, 36 Nobel Prize winners have been affiliated with Johns Hopkins (the first was U.S. President Woodrow Wilson, who received his Ph.D. in history and political science from the university). And with the CIC, the potential of this for the B1G is significant and signals what it takes to get into the conference.

I would bet large sums of money that no hockey school will be invited on its own...not North Dakota, not Denver, and not ASU.
        And ASU tends to lead yearly lists of Party schools and hot girls as students rankings. Given all the grief that they took for letting Nebraska into the Big Ten and CIC, its a cold day in Hell before the Big Ten would take them in, even if its just a hockey only deal.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
          And ASU tends to lead yearly lists of Party schools and hot girls as students rankings. Given all the grief that they took for letting Nebraska into the Big Ten and CIC, its a cold day in Hell before the Big Ten would take them in, even if its just a hockey only deal.
          Most party school rankings in the past 5 years will have ASU behind some or all of Illinois, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa, and Indiana, Iowa was actually #1 a year or two back. I doubt that a party school reputation would be the reason especially as the school really only stays on the rankings because of the reputation it built in the 90s. Plenty of other reasons the Big10 wouldn't pick up ASU but that isn't one.

Comment

Regardless, welcome SDB. I'm looking forward to you being the first of many.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
              On the subject of the Big 10 I simply have meant to say that from what I have heard is that the Big Ten has reached out to ASU in consideration that the team may join..
              If ASU joins the Big in hockey it would lead to many more hockey only teams joining the Big.
              Last edited by #1collegehockeyfan; 02-18-2015, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Everything the Big Ten does is based on grand strategic plan with wide reaching member benefits. Each member is evaluated on its impact on the overall national brand, NCAA leading network, top rate academics, and unique CIC agreements..
                Does ASU Hockey meet the criteria?

Comment

In the grand scheme of things (read $$$), if a California school added hockey, I could see the Big Ten jumping at ASU and said california school as associate members, if only to push better placement of the Big Ten Network in the states of California and Arizona. That could be big bucks for the conference. It's not like those places are full of midwestern snowbirds anyway...and road games in Arizona/California make the friday night doubleheader easier.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

What I assume in terms of the Big 10's interest in ASU is that it would be temporary for the time that the Big 10 lacks members and while the PAC 12 builds a hockey conference, making it a fairly beneficial short term arrangement for both parties but not a lasting situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
                      What I assume in terms of the Big 10's interest in ASU is that it would be temporary for the time that the Big 10 lacks members and while the PAC 12 builds a hockey conference, making it a fairly beneficial short term arrangement for both parties but not a lasting situation.
                      But the WCHA and NCHC would love to have Phoenix fan base in either league. It would be nice to hear what direction they might be headed. What league is going to sell themselves the best. ASU would be a great addition to any league.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        There's a big difference between club hockey and college hockey .
                        Isn't club hockey college hockey?

Comment

No.

Club team members cannot claim they are college athletes.
                          Last edited by Bertogliat; 02-18-2015, 04:27 PM.
                          I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
                          -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bertogliat View Post
                            No.

Club team members cannot claim they are college athletes.
                            So if any of the ASU club members play D1 next season they don't lose any eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan View Post
                              So if any of the ASU club members play D1 next season they don't lose any eligibility.
                              Interesting. I guess that'd make them freshmen?
                              "My greatest achievement."
                              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
                                ASU.is.not.an.AAU.member.and.that.could.be.a.problem.

FYI--Wisconsin.and.Michigan.did.not.vote.for.Nebraska.t o.maintain.AAU.membership--Amount.of.agricultural.research.and.handling.of.th e.Medical.School.put.the.Cornhuskers.in.last.place .among.AAU.members.

USC.and.Stanford.are.both.private.and.wouldn't.hav e.to.justify.using.taxpayer.$$$,but.haven't.
                                heard.any.rumblings.about.either.adding.hockey.
                                Last edited by vizoroo; 02-18-2015, 05:16 PM.
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X