Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    There are ton of posts about this earlier in the thread. You apparently haven't read the whole thing.
    I know. I was being sarcastic. Its hard to express that in this thread. Maybe we need to designate a different font for sarcasm. Most likely some of my best material is not being fully appreciated because of this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Most guys don't have time for golf during the hockey season and playing golf there in May is 110 degrees out.
      Truthfully if you have no program, no rink , and no track record why talk about them? Just talk about something else. So what if recruits are stupid.
      If you have no program, no rink and no track record, what else is there to talk about? And why are 20 yrs old guys stupid to want to play D1 hockey in great weather surrounded by hot women? In SoCal you can't turn a corner without bumping into some retired NHL guy - no one criticizes those guys for moving to a great location. Seems logical to me. If some school is going to pay for you live and play in a great location why not? Granted all the facilities aren't ready yet but plenty of guys will be willing to deal with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        The only way they get into the NCHC is if they show a serious commitment to the sport ...
        Serious committment is what it takes to join the NCHC? What flavor Kool-aid are they selling in the NCHC arenas? The only thing the NCHC cares about is "how much can we charge ASU in membership fees," and "what dressing and sauce will go well with the golden goose arriving on our doorstep."

Serious committment? This is the same league that accepted such prestegious schools as Western Michigan and Jan Brady State U. Two schools that have a COMBINED ONE NCAA win between them.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
          Word is the Athletic Department has denied an off-campus arena that was fully paid for by some other entity (I assume the Coyotes wanting a new practice rink or Oceanside going all out to keep the team). I can't imagine them doing that unless they have an almost 100% plan to build an arena on campus. I also assume the conferences that are looking at adding the team have much more concrete details on such matters than I do. I'd go into more detail but I'm not sure I haven't said more than I should already.
          If this is true, that was a wise decision by the administration. The bigger the city, the more imperative I feel it is to play and practice on campus.

As far as the Big 10 and affiliate teams are concerned, that is well trodden ground for me:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6046932

When pigs fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            If this is true, that was a wise decision by the administration. The bigger the city, the more imperative I feel it is to play and practice on campus.

As far as the Big 10 and affiliate teams are concerned, that is well trodden ground for me:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6046932

When pigs fly.
            Yeah, the only way I could see a hockey affiliate is if an institution like Colorado College, RPI, Clarkson or St. Lawrence was the caliber of university that fit with the Big 10 like John Hopkins but they aren't. There is no way the Big 10 does hockey affiliates with a Pac 12 school much like there is no way they'd ever do that with Notre Dame.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Yeah, the only way I could see a hockey affiliate is if an institution like Colorado College, RPI, Clarkson or St. Lawrence was the caliber of university that fit with the Big 10 like John Hopkins but they aren't. There is no way the Big 10 does hockey affiliates with a Pac 12 school much like there is no way they'd ever do that with Notre Dame.
              An interesting sidebar to all the "realignment talk" and the "who is going to end up where" talk, on the Big 10 side that I didn't specifically point out when it happened, is that the University of Nebraska broke ground in mid-December for the Breslow Ice Arena facility in Lincoln (a/k/a what will become the practice facility for the Huskers when they join Big 10 hockey) and it will be completed this fall.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/gr...7412965a1.html

This facility is right next door to brand spanking new Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, that they added the necessary piping to at the very last minute, that were not part of the original plans, for making ice.

Comment

ASU will recruit just fine. But beyond that remains a question. If I'm a standard recruit, I'd love to play at ASU for all the obvious reasons. If I'm a first round draft pick, I will full stop go to the place where I will receive the best development. And that will be the same current flagship programs that its always been.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  ASU will recruit just fine. But beyond that remains a question. If I'm a standard recruit, I'd love to play at ASU for all the obvious reasons. If I'm a first round draft pick, I will full stop go to the place where I will receive the best development. And that will be the same current flagship programs that its always been.
                  Yup.

That's not to say that ASU or some other school can't enter that realm. But, to do it you need a serious commitment to the sport. And, competitive success along with it. And, this would not happen overnight even if this is your stated goal.

Trev Alberts, when axing football and wrestling at UNO, said at the press conference when he did it that "We are, and, are going to be, a hockey school". Even after 18 years of UNO trying to "establish" itself, and with unbelievable fan support, only now is the program on the doorstep of entering into that realm. And, it isn't there, yet, even. At least we are fighting for recruits (and getting some) with the likes if North Dakota and Minnesota and we have some things to now recruit to.

ASU may be good program in the future. Heck, it might even become one that players think of when the term "hockey school" comes to mind. But we are a long, long way away from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                    If you have no program, no rink and no track record, what else is there to talk about? And why are 20 yrs old guys stupid to want to play D1 hockey in great weather surrounded by hot women? In SoCal you can't turn a corner without bumping into some retired NHL guy - no one criticizes those guys for moving to a great location. Seems logical to me. If some school is going to pay for you live and play in a great location why not? Granted all the facilities aren't ready yet but plenty of guys will be willing to deal with that.
                    You completely miss the point. You have advertised how great the weather is, as if recruits should make their decision based on that, when it's stupid to do that. Yes the weather during the season is great, but in the off season and even in the early part of the season, it's terrible.. ( Just like in Huntsville)
                    You've advertised golf, but a player can't play golf there during the season, and out of season, it's too hot. Whereas in Boston at least, in the off season he CAN play golf.And if you want in season golf, Huntsville has the RTJ golf trail, so maybe that might not be something you want to compete on.
                    You've advertised lots of girls, as if there are no good looking girls elsewhere. When in fact there as plenty of good looking girls pretty much everywhere. I mean a D1 player would have no trouble finding a girlfriend who is cute pretty much anywhere.

So making a decision on playing there for those reasons, is pretty stupid when the decision should be made based on the coaching, the facility, the quality of the education etc. Making a decision based on the weather or the girls is tantamount to making it based on the brand of jersey they use.

I'm glad ASU is joining, but come on.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

You completely miss the point. You have advertised how great the weather is, as if recruits should make their decision based on that, when it's stupid to do that. Yes the weather during the season is great, but in the off season and even in the early part of the season, it's terrible.. ( Just like in Huntsville) You've advertised golf, but a player can't play golf there during the season, and out of season, it's too hot. Whereas in Boston at least, in the off season he CAN play golf.And if you want in season golf, Huntsville has the RTJ golf trail, so maybe that might not be something you want to compete on.
                      You've advertised lots of girls, as if there are no good looking girls elsewhere. When in fact there as plenty of good looking girls pretty much everywhere. I mean a D1 player would have no trouble finding a girlfriend who is cute pretty much anywhere.

So making a decision on playing there for those reasons, is pretty stupid when the decision should be made based on the coaching, the facility, the quality of the education etc. Making a decision based on the weather or the girls is tantamount to making it based on the brand of jersey they use.
                      It's the same reasoning used by all the talking heads and ASU dominates in what sport when they use all that reasoning?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins

Comment

You completely miss the point. You have advertised how great the weather is, as if recruits should make their decision based on that, when it's stupid to do that. Yes the weather during the season is great, but in the off season and even in the early part of the season, it's terrible.. ( Just like in Huntsville)
                          You've advertised golf, but a player can't play golf there during the season, and out of season, it's too hot. Whereas in Boston at least, in the off season he CAN play golf.And if you want in season golf, Huntsville has the RTJ golf trail, so maybe that might not be something you want to compete on.

Not to say that those things are in any way actually important (probably more important to some recruits than people here might think) but it seems that Coach Powers is a good enough recruiter that he can make them appear so. He's already gotten 2 legitimate NHL prospects, although mid to late round guys, to commit in Daccord and Mackie without facilities or anything really and he managed to convince 11 guys with D1 offers to pay $3,600 to play on the club team previously.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post

The weather in Huntsville is bad in the early part of the season? Really? I lived quite a few years in Alabama working at the minor pro level. I don't recall much bad weather during the hockey season. The average high temp for October is 75. September is 85 and you do get a couple hot days.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
                              Bit of an info dump for a first post but here it goes.

ASU got it's first two NHL Prospect commitments recently with 2016 G Joey Daccord and 2017 F Gage Mackie. As well as 2 desert kids for 2015 in Vegas native Joey Raats and Phoenix native Anthony Croston.

Arena plan is in the works. That and money are not assumed to be problems for the team.

Conference will most likely be either Big 10 or NCHC with Notre Dame as the joining mate

Here's that article if anyone wants to read it
                              What about the WCHA?

Comment

Most of our kids go home during the summer. UAH is pretty deserted during summer semesters, and it doesn't work out for many kids from a financial perpsective. I think that one team about 15 years ago made a big push to all stay here during the summer and had a lot of consequent success, but that's hard to pull off.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X